linda1265
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am currently looking at booking not only my first solo holiday but my first time flying, so im actually very nervous   :dodgy:

I cant decide on whether to go to Iceland or Croatia, both appeal to me.. im leaning slightly towards Iceland as photography is a hobby and I would get good photos,  but wondered whether anyone has done either of these trips, Also what is it really like going away as a solo traveller ? Any advice/tip would be really appreciated

Thanks  :cool:

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I have only visited Croatia and can thoroughly recommend the Dubrovnik and Dalmatian Coast trip. The scenery is spectacular and the trips to Montenegro and Bosnia Herzegovina will provide you with plenty of photo opportunities. The benefits for me of this trip were that I could fly from a local airport as I live in Scotland. Reviews of the Iceland trip have always been positive. Maybe you could start off with one and then try the other! I have done a mixture of long haul and european trips since I began using JY in 2010. I am always a bit apprehensive when I set off on a holiday but have always enjoyed the experience once I meet my fellow travellers

My advice is take a deep breath and go for it!!

Lesley

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Linda,

I'm one of the JY veterans at this stage having done 15 tours with 2 more booked!  JY are a great company, not perfect, but no one is!  They look after you very well on holiday - many tour companies only use local guides but JY always have a tour manager who ensures that everything runs smoothly.  You'll find a range of people on these tours, the usual age range is 55 -75 but there are sometimes people in their 20s and 30s and often in their 40s (like me).  The vast majority of JY customers are very friendly - you sometimes get the odd strange person, but such is life!  People mix well and often find the person they sit on the coach/at dinner with on the first or second day becomes their travel buddy for the rest of the tour (in a good way!).  Be friendly, make conversation and get involved and you will have a great time and possibly make some new friends for life, just as I have done! 

I did the Iceland tour in March 2015 and absolutely loved it - a fantastic country and yes, with lots of great photo ops.  The food was superb as well.  I've only spent a couple of days in Zagreb, so cannot really comment too much on Croatia although I do want to do the Dubrovnik and Istrian hols before too long.  Everyone I know who has been to Croatia has loved it.  So whichever tour you eventually choose I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.  Just one tip for Iceland - you can have four seasons within half an hour (I'm not exaggerating!) so pack prepared for anything!

Have fun!

Bob

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Hi. You really do have to go to both!! Iceland is sensational and Croatia beautiful. Personally I am very happy holidaying alone but enjoy the security of going with JY. Enjoy meeting new friends and the commararderie. It's amazing how quickly bonds are formed. Also you can be with others as much or as little as you want. Just be yourself. Put one luggage label on you hand luggage and you will probably be 'adopted' by a fellow JY adventuter before you reach the Gate. Enjoy and let us all know where you go.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Linda

Welcome, I have travelled near Tuscany and far New Zealand with JY since 2006, think I have done over 1O tours I have done neither of the tours you are looking at. I have only heard great reports on Iceland. Going as a solo,

traveller is a great way to see the world in a very safe way. I have met great friends along the way, some tour groups can be 40 this I have found more on the USA tours. Really study what's on offer meals, trips, optional extras etc. Have a look at the reviews people have left, we are honest with our thoughts.

Cindy

charleyhorse
(Member)
I've not done Croatia with JY but have done Iceland twice, enjoyed it so much I went back! Wherever you go with JY I think you will enjoy yourself. You meet like minded people, varying ages, and get to see some wonderful places. I've done several tours, and got two coming up this autumn. I've never not found a friendly crowd, but there is always time for yourself, if you choose. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose, then book the other for your next trip!
linda1265
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi

I have only visited Croatia and can thoroughly recommend the Dubrovnik and Dalmatian Coast trip. The scenery is spectacular and the trips to Montenegro and Bosnia Herzegovina will provide you with plenty of photo opportunities. The benefits for me of this trip were that I could fly from a local airport as I live in Scotland. Reviews of the Iceland trip have always been positive. Maybe you could start off with one and then try the other! I have done a mixture of long haul and european trips since I began using JY in 2010. I am always a bit apprehensive when I set off on a holiday but have always enjoyed the experience once I meet my fellow travellers

My advice is take a deep breath and go for it!!

Lesley

Thank you for your reply, I think you're right and that I may have to do both trips, I might do the Iceland one first!! The Blue Lagoon is on my 'to do' list  😃. I have to admit I am very nervous of the flying part... lol

linda1265
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Linda,

I'm one of the JY veterans at this stage having done 15 tours with 2 more booked!  JY are a great company, not perfect, but no one is!  They look after you very well on holiday - many tour companies only use local guides but JY always have a tour manager who ensures that everything runs smoothly.  You'll find a range of people on these tours, the usual age range is 55 -75 but there are sometimes people in their 20s and 30s and often in their 40s (like me).  The vast majority of JY customers are very friendly - you sometimes get the odd strange person, but such is life!  People mix well and often find the person they sit on the coach/at dinner with on the first or second day becomes their travel buddy for the rest of the tour (in a good way!).  Be friendly, make conversation and get involved and you will have a great time and possibly make some new friends for life, just as I have done! 

I did the Iceland tour in March 2015 and absolutely loved it - a fantastic country and yes, with lots of great photo ops.  The food was superb as well.  I've only spent a couple of days in Zagreb, so cannot really comment too much on Croatia although I do want to do the Dubrovnik and Istrian hols before too long.  Everyone I know who has been to Croatia has loved it.  So whichever tour you eventually choose I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.  Just one tip for Iceland - you can have four seasons within half an hour (I'm not exaggerating!) so pack prepared for anything!

Have fun!

Bob

Many thanks Bob, im already starting to look forward to travelling with JY 🙂

linda1265
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'intrepid traveller' wrote:

Hi. You really do have to go to both!! Iceland is sensational and Croatia beautiful. Personally I am very happy holidaying alone but enjoy the security of going with JY. Enjoy meeting new friends and the commararderie. It's amazing how quickly bonds are formed. Also you can be with others as much or as little as you want.  Just be yourself. Put one luggage label on you hand luggage and you will probably be 'adopted' by a fellow JY adventuter before you reach the Gate. Enjoy and let us all know where you go.

Thank you for your reply, good tip about the labels 🙂

linda1265
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Linda

Welcome, I have travelled near Tuscany  and far New Zealand with JY since 2006, think I have done over 1O tours I have done neither of the tours you are looking at. I have only heard great reports on Iceland. Going as a solo,

traveller  is a great way to see the world in a very safe way. I have met great friends along the way, some tour groups can be 40 this I have found more on the USA tours. Really study what's on offer meals, trips, optional extras etc. Have a look at the reviews people have left, we are honest with our thoughts.

Cindy

Thank you Cindy, I will look at the reviews and at whats on offer carefullt before I actually book  :shy:

linda1265
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'charleyhorse' wrote:

I've not done Croatia with JY but have done Iceland twice, enjoyed it so much I went back! Wherever you go with JY I think you will enjoy yourself. You meet like minded people, varying ages, and get to see some wonderful places. I've done several tours, and got two coming up this autumn. I've never not found a friendly crowd, but there is always time for yourself, if you choose. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose, then book  the other for your next trip!

Many thanks Charley.. I think I have already chosen Iceland for my first trip 🙂