Jane232
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, Just wondering if there are any people out there who have booked Spirit of India for 13th November. This will be my first JY holiday and really looking forward to it now. Any tips from seasoned travellers would be welcome. I have also booked the Amritsar add-on.

Thanks

Jane

TonyC
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jane, I'm also booked on that trip and really looking forward to it. This will be my first Just You adventure but I have been on pevious trips with Solos and have always found them most enjoyable and the people are usually very friendly and welcoming. I see from web site that it is now fully booked on that date so should be good fun with hopefully a nice mix of people.

Tony

SezWells
(Member)
I did this tour a few years ago and it was amazing, you will have a wonderful time.

Be prepared for some early starts and you will be on the go the whole time but it is worth it.  I went in November and the temperature was lovely but would advise you take a light cardi or fleece for the early starts and some evenings it got a bit cooler.  Also plenty of wet wipes or antibac spray and if you are prone to a dodgy tummy take some medication.  A few people on our trip suffered with a funny tummy (myself included) but it didn't last long and certainly didn't spoil the experience.  Highlights for me were Ranthambore where we saw a beautiful tiger twice, of course, the Taj Mahal and also Varanisi which was very special, do go to the evening ceremony if you can, I found it very moving.

I hope you have a brilliant holiday.

jennyf
(Member)
Was hoping to book this in Autumn next year but they only have one November dated listed so far. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I've just had my first JY holiday and everything was superb.
suejacob
(Member)
I am going on the 20th November. Anyone else going on this date. My first JY holiday as ell. 🙂
jeanj
  • (Member)
(Member)
'suejacob' wrote:

I am going on the 20th November. Anyone else going on this date. My first JY holiday as ell. :)

Hi Sue I have just booked for 20th November and am feeling very excited about it.  I went to Sardinia earlier this year with Just You and had a great time, so that gave me the confidence to book this trip.

suejacob
(Member)
'jeanj' wrote:

'suejacob' wrote:

I am going on the 20th November. Anyone else going on this date. My first JY holiday as ell. :)

Hi Sue I have just booked for 20th November and am feeling very excited about it.  I went to Sardinia earlier this year with Just You and had a great time, so that gave me the confidence to book this trip.

Thats great. The trip is sold out but not seen any other posts. whereabouts are you based? I am in Sheffield. really looking forward to it as it is a place i have always wanted too go.

look forward to meeting you.  🙂

Jane232
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SezWells' wrote:

I did this tour a few years ago and it was amazing, you will have a wonderful time.

Be prepared for some early starts and you will be on the go the whole time but it is worth it.  I went in November and the temperature was lovely but would advise you take a light cardi or fleece for the early starts and some evenings it got a bit cooler.  Also plenty of wet wipes or antibac spray and if you are prone to a dodgy tummy take some medication.  A few people on our trip suffered with a funny tummy (myself included) but it didn't last long and certainly didn't spoil the experience.  Highlights for me were Ranthambore where we saw a beautiful tiger twice, of course, the Taj Mahal and also Varanisi which was very special, do go to the evening ceremony if you can, I found it very moving.

I hope you have a brilliant holiday.

Thanks for the advice, particularly warm clothing. I need to buy ammonium etc. It would be amazing to see a tiger, weren't you lucky. We have two safari drives included and I haven't opted for the additional third. Now wondering if I should.

Jane232
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'TonyC' wrote:

Hi Jane, I'm also booked on that trip and really looking forward to it. This will be my first Just You adventure but I have been on pevious trips with Solos and have always found them most enjoyable and the people are usually very friendly and welcoming. I see from web site that it is now fully booked on that date so should be good fun with hopefully a nice mix of people.

Tony

I have done previous holidays with Travelsphere, Just You's partner company. Great that its fully booked and looking forward to meeting all these new people.

Jane232
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, I have been told that some areas of India People are very anti leather goods, including ladies handbags. Does anyone know if this is the case on the Spirit of India holiday with Amritsar add on? I don't want to cause offense but would need to buy a fabric bag and purse if it is the case.
Jackiea
(Member)
'jeanj' wrote:

'suejacob' wrote:

Hi Sue and Jean

I am going on this trip on 20th November, it will be the first time away on my own for a very long time.

India is somewhere i have wanted to go for a long time but I am terrified but excited at the same time!,

I have also booked the add on to Amritsar.

suejacob
(Member)
HiJackiea

Everyone says it is great and I have wanted to go for some time. Look forward to meeting you. Sue ?

Jackiea
(Member)
Hi All

I am booked onto The Spirit of India on 20th  November. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to take currency - cash, prepaid card, Stirling etc.

Many thanks

Jackie

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Jackie

I suggest that you take sterling and exchange for rupees at your hotels. I understand you can get rupees from some online currency exchanges but I took sterling on both trips to India. ATMs were available and their numbers may have increased since I was there in 2013.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jane232' wrote:

Hi, I have been told that some areas of India People are very anti leather goods, including ladies handbags. Does anyone know if this is the case on the Spirit of India holiday with Amritsar add on? I don't want to cause offense but would need to buy a fabric bag and purse if it is the case.

Hi Jane,

I have done both Spirit of India and Kerala and I have never heard of this before, so I am sure you can take a leather bag!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

SarahS
(Member)
In some Hindu temples, no leather is allowed. Shoes are removed anyway, but all leather articles including wallets, bags and belts must be left outside. Tour guides normally arrange for secure storage.