Travelbugliz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi I've booked to go to Kerela in November and it would be lovely to hear from anyone who is also going on this trip. This is my first holiday with JustYou.

Liz

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

Did this trip in 2015. Really enjoyed visiting Southern India having previously done the fast paced Spirit of India. The highlight for me was the time spent on the houseboat.

Enjoy your holiday

Lesley

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

You certainly have booked a lovely trip as your first Just You adventure. I too have done this trip and Kerala is beautiful - very green and the food is delicious. You will have a great time.

Jaya

simmo65
(Member)
'Travelbugliz' wrote:

Hi I've booked to go to Kerela in November and it would be lovely to hear from anyone who is also going on this trip. This is my first holiday with JustYou.

Liz

Hi Liz I'm in the same boat as you . New to JY but really looking forward to Kerela  in November.

cosdenman
(Member)
I'm on my first Just You trip in Sept, to Kerala, and really looking forward to it.  I would appreciate contact from anyone else who is going then. I would also like tips from anyone who has already been. I went to Northern India 10 years ago with Travelspere and was very impressed with the company.  This has given me some idea of what to expect, but I am sure Kerala will be very different. I would appreciate suggestions of things to take or what not to take.  Do you need insect spray for the houseboat? whats the weather like?  whats the best footwear? for example.
Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'cosdenman' wrote:

I'm on my first Just You trip in Sept, to Kerala, and really looking forward to it.  I would appreciate contact from anyone else who is going then. I would also like tips from anyone who has already been. I went to Northern India 10 years ago with Travelspere and was very impressed with the company.  This has given me some idea of what to expect, but I am sure Kerala will be very different. I would appreciate suggestions of things to take or what not to take.  Do you need insect spray for the houseboat? whats the weather like?  whats the best footwear? for example.

Hi,

I did this trip in February - if you go to the Search button (top right hand corner) and put in Kerala, I did a review which may help. With regards to footwear, I tend to wear Merrell hiking sandels, and on occasion I wore Skechers. It depends what time of year you are going, but I would also recommend taking insect repellent if you are going anywhere near water - which you are! The weather in February was great, so T-shirts, cropped trousers etc. Remember to take a hat and suncream etc. etc.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Corril
(Member)
'cosdenman' wrote:

Hi, I'm booked to go to Kerala in September too, I checked with just you last week and 11 are booked to go. I travelled with just you last April, Spirit of India trip, it was everything I could have wished for and more, just you guide Erica was so knowledgeable and the group got on so well with new friends made.  Exploring Kerala will be lovely, I'm sure we'll be impressed...

SueStricks
(Member)
'cosdenman' wrote:

Hi! I'm off to Kerala in Sept Also- will be my ninth time with JY! Really looking forward to it- know of a couple more friends I've met on other trips who will also be going and I know the tour manager is excellent so we will have a great time. Not thought about what to take yet- I'll worry about that nearer the time- my second trip to the sub continent so I'm really looking forward to the whole experience! Look forward to travelling with you! .

Travelbugliz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi

Did this trip in 2015. Really enjoyed visiting Southern India having previously done the fast paced Spirit of India. The highlight for me was the time spent on the houseboat.

Enjoy your holiday

Lesley

Thank you

Travelbugliz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hello

You certainly have booked a lovely trip as your first Just You adventure.  I too have done this trip and Kerala is beautiful - very green and the food is delicious.  You will have a great time.

Jaya

Thank you Jaya

Travelbugliz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'simmo65' wrote:

'Travelbugliz' wrote:

Liz

Hi Liz I'm in the same boat as you . New to JY but really looking forward to Kerela  in November.

Me too, have you been to India before?

Sue.Bryce
(Member)
'cosdenman' wrote:

Hi I'm Sue and I'm travelling to Kerala on 14 September, would like to hear from you and anyone else on the same trip.

Angela Bingham
(Member)
Hi to all travelling to Kerala

I really enjoyed my holiday to southern India especally the houseboat which was magical.

If you like an alcoholic drink in the evening be aware that some of the hotels are 'dry' so you may want to buy a bottle of your fave tipple at the airport.

When at the beach resort at the end of the holiday and you wish to shop make it clear to taxi/tuk tuk driver you want the beach shops or you will get taken to a 'relatives' very expensive sari emporium !

Have a great holiday everybody.

Ange x

Corril
(Member)
'Angela Bingham' wrote:

I really enjoyed my holiday to southern India especally the houseboat which was magical.

If you like an alcoholic drink in the evening be aware that some of the hotels are 'dry' so you may want to buy a bottle of your fave tipple at the airport.

When at the beach resort at the end of the holiday and you wish to shop make it clear to taxi/tuk tuk driver you want the beach shops or you will get taken to a 'relatives' very expensive sari emporium !

Ange x

Thanks for the tip.... did you do the traditional dress and/or the nature trek, do you keep the sari material, did may do it and the nature trek, is it strenuous as advertised? Linda x

Angela Bingham
(Member)
'Corril' wrote:

'Angela Bingham' wrote:

Ange x

Thanks for the tip.... did you do the traditional dress and/or the nature trek, do you keep the sari material, did may do it and the nature trek, is it strenuous as advertised? Linda x

Hi Linda, the traditional dress wasn't available when I went but it sounds great. I didn't do the nature trek as I was put off with talk of leeches !!

Have a lovely holiday.

Ange

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Linda,

I personally would not bother about the "traditional dress" - it is not a sari. They were trousers and a top - yes you do keep them, but for £25 (?) you just wear them for the meal in the hotel. With  regards to the nature trek, I would recommend it - you walk through a forest, there are some inclines/descents. We were very luck to see wild elephants, although one was on the point of charging us, and we had to move fast! You need a decent pair of trekking shoes/boots/sandals.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Corril
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

Hi Linda,

I personally would not bother about the "traditional dress" - it is not a sari. They were trousers and a top - yes you do keep them, but for £25 (?) you just wear them for the meal in the hotel. With  regards to the nature trek, I would recommend it - you walk through a forest, there are some inclines/descents. We were very luck to see wild elephants, although one was on the point of charging us, and we had to move fast! You need a decent pair of trekking shoes/boots/sandals.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Hills

Thanks for the info, the dress sounds pretty similar to the outfit which we wore in Ranthambore when I did the Spirit of India last year, the outfit was given to us and included, top trousers and sash, might take them with me.  Think I'll give the Safari a go, thanks for the footwear tip

Linda

Lesley RK
(Member)
'Travelbugliz' wrote:

Liz

Hi there my name is Lesley Keefe and I am booked to go to Kerala with JY in November, in fact paid the last of monies due to day. This will be my fourth trip with JY. The trips are great fun, I have been to Istanbul, Cuba and St Lucia, all were good groups of people with excellent tour managers. It is usually about two thirds women and one third men, of all ages. The youngest on my last trip was 27 and the eldest have been over 80. I myself am 71, but a very active 71, in St Lucia last year I was the only one who did all the  trips and activities. I have also been to India, but the Delhi, Taj Mahal trip with the Shimla add on, and with Kuoni many years ago. India is a really nice  place to go, thought provoking too. See you at Heathrow on the 16th November. I live in Essex so will be travelling there on the train. Lesley