marie1968
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello, I am considering booking the Pompeii, Sorrento holiday for my 50th next year. However, I last flew 25 years ago and would appreciate any flying tips.  Does a Just You rep meet you a Gatwick so that you can ask any questions and help you to book in etc? It's the getting to the airport, checking in, going through security and on the plane  that makes me really nervous. 😕
daveJB
(Member)
Hello marie,

Welcome to JY, I have done the Pompeii and Sorrento holiday and it is a good choice, you will have a great

time I am sure.

At Gatwick the rep will be at or near the check-in desks and will help you, I would suggest wait with him/her

for one of the others in your group and go to the check in and security together.

Dave.

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Marie,

A JY representative will be at Gatwick to greet you on arrival, just look out for the rep who will be somewhere near your checking-in desk. You will find the checking-in desk number next to your flight details on one of the flight departure screens in the airport terminal.

I would also recommend that you read the excellent post entitled 'At the Airport' in the 'Share your Travel Tips' section of this community. It was written by SallyC, a very experienced traveller, and contains lots of helpful information. In short, a really wonderful guide for those who find an airport environment intimidating.

Finally, I would encourage you to take the plunge and book this holiday. I've visited this area of Italy twice, albeit many years ago, and it is a beautiful part of the country.

Hope this helps.

Mike

sjm533
(Member)
Hello Marie

5 years ago I was in the same position as you, it had been 21 years for me, and I had never flown alone.  Anyway, I took myself off, privately, to Vienna from Glasgow, (which was an airport I had never used before) changing flights at Heathrow.  When I got to the airport I was surprised to see that that procedures hadn't changed very much at all.  Don't worry. Look for JY luggage labels, and when you see one go and say Hello.  Everyone is pleased to find another traveller.

Sylvia

marie1968
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for your lovely replies. It's very reassuring to know that a rep will be at the airport to oversee things. I will be booking for next year and will start saving now.
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
I always look for labels on bags or the Rep (very rare to find that the Rep is the same as the Tour Manager) finds me first as they are always looking for labels. The only problem with Gatwick is making sure you get the correct terminal. I always park in the Long Stay, but it only services North Terminal, a bit of a pain if you have to use South :s

Jan

sallyc
(Member)
Thank you Mike for your kind words - I have posted a link to my guide below:-

http://forum.justyou.co.uk/thread-56965.html 

Airports can be very intimidating places but remember there are always people around to ask for help and the signs are very prominent. If you post a thread about your holiday you might be lucky enough to find someone else on your trip who you can meet up at check in, but as others have said there should be a JY rep at check in to help get you on your way.

Best of luck

Sally

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Marie.

What a wonderful part of the world you are planning on going to!  :)

The only thing I would say is that before I even consider a holiday I plan well in advance.  With somewhere like Gatwick (because it is such a long coach journey for me), I check flight times.  I know these are only provisional but it does give you an idea on whether you would have to stay overnight at a hotel pre and even post holiday.  The airline website would also be able to give you which terminal you would be flying from.  You haven't mentioned whether you would be driving, or catching the coach or even the train?  Coach wise, there is no central bus station at Gatwick, but National Express drop you off right outside departures which is very handy. 

There is some wonderful information on Sally's thread, but Gatwick Airport also has a very good website which gives you maps and lots of information of layout etc.

SarahS
(Member)
Don't  let worry about negotiating  the airport stop you travelling.   Check in desks are clearly signed, just look out for a JY rep standing somewhere nearby. Security is a necessary pain, no matter how many times you've travelled.  Be prepared to take off coat/jacket and scarf.  Make sure any hand luggage liquids and gels are in 100ml or smaller containers, and fit into a sealable  clear polythene bag. Bags are usually available at the airport if you can't get one locally.  Have your mobile, and laptop or tablet somewhere easily accessible so you can put them on a tray for scanning.  In recent years, airport security has tightened, but,  it seems to be better managed, and queues move quite quickly. Happy travelling. Please post when you have booked your holiday.