rrrose
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'll be going to Cuba in March.  I'm thinking of going to see the famous Tropicana show in Havana whilst there - has anyone ever been to the Tropicana in Havana (or thinking of going)?   https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tropicana+havana+show&espv=2&biw=978&bih=714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHr6OLvOLRAhWrL8AKHQmXCXQQ_AUICCgD&dpr=1.25 
katy1717
(Member)
Hi, I'm on the Cuba trip going out next Monday. Will write a short review of this trip when I get back. I saw the Tropicana show was an optional excursion in the paperwork I received, and you pay in Cuba if you want to go - I had thought I would do this, but will see when I get there.

If you search the reviews section, I think there are some Cuba reviews and this may be covered there.

Katy

gdancer
(Member)
'rrrose' wrote:

I'll be going to Cuba in March.  I'm thinking of going to see the famous Tropicana show in Havana whilst there - has anyone ever been to the Tropicana in Havana (or thinking of going)?   https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tropicana+havana+show&espv=2&biw=978&bih=714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHr6OLvOLRAhWrL8AKHQmXCXQQ_AUICCgD&dpr=1.25 

Hello, I went to Cuba with Travelsphere (Just You's sister company) three years ago.  The itinerary was the same as Just You.  I did go to the Tropicana and was disappointed.  The best thing was the costumes.  The dancers were nothing like as good as the Strictly pros.  As I remember there was only one drink and a few nuts included in the price.  It was a very expensive experience.  We were staying at the Havana National Hotel, on the evening of the Tropicana excursion some of our group chose to go to a show at our hotel which also included dinner.  Their reports were all positive.  I did enjoy the rest of my visit to Cuba.  You visit some amazing places, my favourites were Trinidad and the Vinales Valley.

rrrose
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for the tips and advice. I've just received notification that the hotel in Havana, where we'll be staying for 5 nights has changed from Sevilla hotel (an excellent 4 star which I was looking forward to) - to what looks like a 2 star Plaza Hotel - see reviews below. Very disappointed - is this normal for Justyou?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g147271-d151448-Reviews-Hotel_Plaza-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html 

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose,

JY sometimes have to change the hotels, if the hotel informs them they can no longer take the group booking.  JY also change hotels if they have had sustained complaints about a particular hotel.  If you read the advisory notes for the Cuba tour you'll see that it does warn that hotels on this tour in particular can change at short notice.  I haven't been to Cuba yet, but I know a lot of people who have and I've researched it myself.  Hotels can be in short demand and given the precarious state of the economy there, things can change at short notice and there can be shortages etc.  I'm sure JY have done their best to secure acceptable alternative accommodation.  I've stayed in five star hotels which have been terrible and unstarred hotels or those with 2 or 3 stars which have been excellent.  The star rating isn't a reliable indicator of how good a hotel actually is, rather it's an indication of a range of facilities that it offers.  The ratings also vary considerably from country to country.  Finally, I've stayed at many, many hotels over the years, a good number of which have had mixed or poor reviews on Trip Advisor and I have found them to be perfectly fine.  I do hope the hotels in Cuba on your tour are at least acceptable - but bear in mind you're going to a very poor country which doesn't have a strong tourist infrastructure!

Hope you have a great tour,

Bob

IanWight
(Member)
Hi Rose,

I have been to Cuba several times & have stayed at the Plaza more than once and found it fine. It is in a super location right in the heart of the old town. There is no pool but there was an arrangement with, from memory, the Sevilla! so that you could use theirs.

Re the Tropicana I have never, in 8 visits, felt the urge to go there and do not feel that I have personally missed out. Others I have spoken to who went said they really enjoyed the night out. Is it, to you, worth the money? Last time I was there this excursion was combined with a ride in an old American car (these are now generally all taxis and are all over the place so you could ride in one on your own - just hold out for "Auto Americano")  and stopped at a statue of John Lennon (which incidently I told TS about on a trip many years ago & has been on their stops ever since) in Vedado which you could easily do on your own - perhaps in that old American car.... Prices are erratic - but not excessive. Just agree a price before you set out.

Have a great trip.

Ian

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Rose

I visited Cuba in March 2014. It was always my understanding that the Cuban Government chose the hotels for travel companies not the other way round, so what you get is what the Government give you.

As for the Tropicana nightclub, I went to this and really enjoyed it. The dancers mingle with the audience and invite them up to dance, not on stage but by the tables. I'm adventurous so got up and danced with the chap! At the end of the show I also got up on the stage to dance.

Enjoy your trip.

Sylvia

adg29
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, I did the tour 6 years ago and didn't go to the Tropicana as I thought it overpriced. Some of our group went but it was a mixed opinion some enjoyed some disappointed. You just have to decide if its something you would like to do as you may not go to Cuba again.

Alan

Joanio
(Member)
I was in Cuba last October and went to the Tropicana which I enjoyed, the dancers are good not strictly standard but good and the singers were very good. We had one free drink on arrival then they put a bottle Rum on the table4 between 4/6 and a can of coke for everyone, we didn't drink all the rum but you can take it away if you wish. A bit expensive but an enjoyable evening.
katy1717
(Member)
Hi, I'm just back from the trip leaving end of January. Agree with what the others have said above about the Tropicana. Think, on balance, glad I did the show, but its nothing special. We also stayed at the Plaza - I knew the hotels in Cuba would be "challenging" - it is well located in the centre (so a bit of a trade of - an over 50s group I spoke to were staying outside the city and I think liked their hotel). I think for the initial 3 days I could put up with it, but was depressing to know that you had 2 days at the end of the holiday back staying there - don't know why they don't stay for the last 2 days out at Vinales (rather than just a day trip there).

Katy

rrrose
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'katy1717' wrote:

Hi, I'm just back from the trip leaving end of January.  Agree with what the others have said above about the Tropicana.  Think, on balance, glad I did the show, but its nothing special.  We also stayed at the Plaza - I knew the hotels in Cuba would be "challenging" - it is well located in the centre (so a bit of a trade of - an over 50s group I spoke to were staying outside the city and I think liked their hotel).  I think for the initial 3 days I could put up with it, but was depressing to know that you had 2 days at the end of the holiday back staying there - don't know why they don't stay for the last 2 days out at Vinales  (rather than just a day trip there).  

Katy

I wonder why the Plaza wasn't listed as one of the hotels in the brochure?  Has anyone actually stayed at the Sevilla, or is it marketing ploy to lure in customers?  According to the Plaza's website there is currently renovation/construction work going on at the hotel 'until further notice'.  I don't think they'll be enough room in my suitcase for a hard hat.  http://www.hotelplazacuba.com/

rrrose
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I received in my final information details of Tropicana excursion approx £90 - is this the one you went on? Did include dinner? On Tropicana's website the most expensive package including dinner, drinks, souveneir photo and preferential table is approx £88. Whereas the drinks only package (with preferential table) is £69.

Is Just you charging £90 for the drinks only package?

I notice Just You charge clients £50 for Cuban visas - I purchased mine online cubavisa.com for £15. Also £29 for USA ESTA visas, which are £14 when you purchase it direct.

rrrose
(Member) (Topic Starter)