sandybill1946
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Could anyone who has been to Burma please tell me if the toilets are western type or squats. I know the hotels will be western but I am thinking about when out on excursions as I have arthritis in my knees and squats are not easy for me. I have just come back from India which I enjoyed very much and am thinking of Burma for next November.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sandra

katy1717
(Member)
Just back from Burma. There were plenty of toilet stops "happy room" and I never had to use a squat toilet. I did see the option of using a squat toilet at some stops but there were always some western loos, so you just had to wait until one became available. (Possible in some back of beyond place where I didn't take advantage of the happy room, it could have been a squat.) In hindsight the loo situation was much better than I expected it to be, thought it would be a lot worse.

Cant recommend Burma enough. Loved it.

Katy

sandybill1946
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'katy1717' wrote:

Just back from Burma.  There were plenty of toilet stops "happy room" and I never had to use a squat toilet.  I did see the option of using a squat toilet at some stops but there were always some western loos, so you just had to wait until one became available.  (Possible in some back of beyond place where I didn't take advantage of the happy room, it could have been a squat.)   In hindsight the loo situation was much better than I expected it to be, thought it would be a lot worse.  

Cant recommend Burma enough.  Loved it.

Katy

Thanks Katy, will almost certainly book now.

Sandra

Deb3
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sandra,

I'm also recently back from Burma and it's gone to the top of my favourite holidays...

All but one place I used, had a mixture of toilets, so just a case of waiting for a western one. We stopped off in a tiny hamlet on our way down to the 'Sunken Stupas' on Inle Lake just for a toilet stop and there was only the local style available.

Having been to India and enjoying it, you'll manage well in Burma. More than happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful holiday.

Debbie

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sandra,

I did the first ever Burma trip in February (wonderful!) and we did go off the beaten track quite a lot, and yes, they were squat loos. These were only really if you were having to go to public loos in markets/petrol stations/somebody's house in the middle of nowhere etc. The hotels and restaurants, on the whole, were western loos.

Please don't let this put you off, as Burma is the most fantastic country, and the JY trip is superb.

Cheers,

Hils