choccork
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Whenever I'm flying long distances, I always buy a meal deal at the airport and take various snacks with me, such as Soreen mini snacks, bags of chopped fruit/veg, hummus and carrot sticks, pop chips etc. because I find that having something to nibble on makes the journey more interesting!!

Earlier this year I flew to Vietnam with Malaysian Airlines and was glad I'd stocked up on snacks, because the flight was around noon and they fed us on-board at 1pm, then served an inedible biscuit at 5pm and dinner was served at 11pm. So it was 10 hours between the meals!! I was so glad, I'd bought the meal deal, as I was ravenous about 6pm, so I ate it then.

On every other long haul flight I've been on, they've provided free snacks in the galley, that you can help yourself to, but Malaysian Airlines didn't provide anything. 

Also, the dinner choices were exactly the same as the lunch choices, neither were appealing, one was spicy shrimp, can't remember what the other was, but I know I had it for both lunch and dinner!

Others in the group hadn't taken any food on-board and when they were hungry, they asked the staff for a snack and were told there weren't any. 

A few people flew business class and said the food was exactly the same as economy and they didn't have any snacks either.

So my advice is, if you're flying with them, take food with you!

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi it's funny how we all differ - I also flew Malaysian Airlines when I went to Vietnam and thought it was the best airline food I'd ever had!  It is usual on long haul flights to be fed around 1 1/2 hours after take off and 1 1/2 hours before landing with just a snack in between so I didn't expect anything else.  On the other hand, I was greatly looking forward to flying Singapore Airlines to Borneo this summer, as they are consistently voted one of the world's top airlines and while the food on the way out was ok, it was absolutely awful on the way back!!

All the best,

Bob

SarahS
(Member)
Thanks for that.  I've  not flown malaysian before, but am flying them to Burma. I normally take a meal deal  on economy flights, but would have expected better in business class.
katy1717
(Member)
Not my experience at all!

Just done the Burma trip which used Malaysian airlines and I thought the meals provided were some of the best airline food (such as it is) that I've had. The timings of meal offerings also no issues with.

Katy

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the tip choccork. I have to say though that I agree completely with Bob re Singapore Airlines. Like Bob, I was greatly looking forward to flying with them to Borneo earlier this year knowing they had an excellent reputation.

But on the return flight, they ran out of English breakfasts which meant that I had the choice of noodles...or noodles!

If Singapore Airlines can't get something as simple as that right (one look at the passenger manifest would have given them a decent clue on how many breakfasts of each type to store onboard), then their good reputation is somewhat undeserved. But I'll make sure that I 'stock up' in the airport lounge before departure to Burma.

Cheers

Mike

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

I've flown Malaysian Airlines 4 times now (admittedly in Business Class) and I've found them absolutely fine!

Like Bob, I too was looking forward to flying Singapore Airlines when we went to Borneo, and I thought they were awful - and that was in Business Class! A great disappointment.

I think it all depends on the day. I was hoping South African Airlines would have improved having not flown with them for a few years - but no, they hadn't! All that was left as a main course was soup - in Business Class!

Sadly we are not able to choose which airline we fly with with JY, but I am looking forward to flying KLM to China and Tibet, and had good experiences with Jet before, so that should be OK for India again.

Cheers,

Hils

SarahS
(Member)
I agree with the comments about Singapore  Airlines. I flew with  them earlier this year, and was very disappointed  with  the  service after all the good reviews  I'd  read. The cabin staff were some of the  rudest l've met. It just goes to show you can't  always rely on reviews! Thanks for the reassurance about Malaysian.
choccork
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Rose1999' wrote:

'Hils' wrote:

Hi,

I've flown Malaysian Airlines 4 times now (admittedly in Business Class) and I've found them absolutely fine!

Like Bob, I too was looking forward to flying Singapore Airlines when we went to Borneo, and I thought they were awful - and that was in Business Class! A great disappointment.

I think it all depends on the day. I was hoping South African Airlines would have improved having not flown with them for a few years - but no, they hadn't! All that was left as a main course was soup - in Business Class!

Sadly we are not able to choose which airline we fly with with JY, but I am looking forward to flying KLM to China and Tibet, and had good experiences with Jet before, so that should be OK for India again.

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Hils

I hope you don't mind me asking, but roughly how much extra did you pay to travel business class with Singapore Airlines?  I only ask because I'm flying to Cambodia with them in Nov 2017,my first long haul flight, and I'm wondering if I can afford the upgrade.  JY can't give me a price until the end of Jan.  I know my costs will doubtless be different but it would give me a ball park figure.  Also did you upgrade through JY, directly with the airline or at the airport?  Please don't feel obliged to reply ifyou'd rather not say, I will understand.

Best Wishes

Rose

Hi Rose, 

I upgraded to premium economy when I flew to Borneo with them and it was £1k return. 

Singapore Airlines gave me a free upgrade to business on the way out which was fantastic, I had a quick look at prices to see how much it would have cost and it was £3k return to do it direct with the airline. 

Coming back I was in premium economy, which was good, but going business class was the best!! 

Kate

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose,

i don't mind saying how much. JY kept quoting us over £5K extra which was ridiculous, so I went on the Forum and they managed to organise, that if we paid for the ticket well in advance (I can't remember how many months) it would be approx £3,500 extra! Unfortunately I don't think you can do the upgrade direct with the airline, but to give you a better idea, have a look at the airline's website, put in your flights (if you know them) and cost out a Business Class ticket, and then subtract the same Economy ticket, and that will give you a better idea. JY do do a mark-up however!

I book Business Class for the Fast Track through Heathrow (I have to fly down from Glasgow), the lounge (Singapore Airlines one wasn't very nice!), and the fact that I can choose my seat and have a flat bed when it is an overnight flight. You don't book the upgrade for the food or the free booze!

The problem is, that once you start "turning left" on the plane, you never want to have to "turn right" again!

Cheers,

Hils

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Joys of flying! I usually do not feel very hungry on the plane. In fact, on few overnight flights I have not fancied any breakfast at all. This may be due to the fact that it was not very appealing - I was very disappointed when I flew premium economy with British Airways from Mexico. Food was awful and I personally did not think the extra payment was worth it. I have never been able to afford Business Class yet, but as Hils said you book the upgrade for comfort and being able to have a flat bed if it is an overnight flight. May be one day I will be able to fly Business, but only for overnight flights as it would be lovely to get a good night's sleep. I think most airlilnes are not living up to their standards due to cuts they have to make to remain profitable. I have flown both Malaysian Airlines and Singapore Airlines years ago and the food and service was fantastic. Also when I flew South African airlines for the Namibia trip the food was nice - I always have vegetarian food. Very surprised that they only had soup to serve for the main course to Business class passengers - this is a big No No considering what they charge Business class passengers and especially on a long flight.

Regards

Jaya

SarahS
(Member)
On the subject of business class, I would definitely not recommend BA for long haul flights. The seating configuraton means that the cabin is very cramped: the seats are very narrow, and when reclined, you either have climb over another passenger to leave your seat or have someone climbing over you. The food is awful, and as for service from the cabin staff, forget it. BA standards generally have dropped overy the last few years. I would never fly them from choice and I definitely wouldn't waste my money on flying BA business class.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

If BA Business Class is cramped, just imagine what it is like in economy class! I found the flight to and from South Africa with BA very very uncomfortable. You had to sit tight without being able to move any limbs at all. There should be some legislation about Airlines making all their cabins cramped by filling them with extra seats. Surely this is against health and safety - may be not. I too would not fly BA out of choice.

Regards

Jaya