AbbaDave
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello fellow Travellers heading to Borneo 19th May, just three more weeks now till we head out for Jungle life in beautiful Borneo, its gonna be hot and humid I guess but between us we'll all look out for each other or just trundle along in our own time spotting exotic wildlife and plants,  for me night time will be a lonely time if its hot and sticky hoping that no horrible creepy crawlies appear on my wall as they did in the amazon ho ho never been so scared and on ringing the bell for help of which didn't come I had to deal with the little monster alone, not sure about little though it was huge

ok my little story out the way, my plans for anybody staying at the Premier Inn on Bath Road LHR, myself and Diane are arriving from Coventry via National Express and I estimate being at the PI by 3.30 on the Wednesday and as MikeW is staying at the park we are up for a meal and drinkies at the Three Magpies and so perhaps meet in the PI bar or lounge area between 5.30/6.00 to walk to the 3 magpies or perhaps get a taxi its about a mile which is 20 mins walk,  we can see what the weather is doing,  maybe get back to PI to catch Bob and Hils before they retire for the night, if not then at breakfast if we can look at a time should we miss in the evening, perhaps 7am,  what are others thoughts on this? the flight being 11.25 is it so need to be over to check in 3 hrs before and make use of the executive lounge for the odd bevvie and to make off with a few packets of peanuts for the monkeys lol :thumbup:  only kidding   :)

abbadave whom i am sure is just as excited as the rest of us borneo-ettes   :cool:

see you all very soon now

jacq27
(Member)
Hi Dave,

Got my travel docs my email this morning - not long to go!    :cool: 🙂   I'm coming down from Glasgow to stay at the PI on Bath Road and I think the flight arrives about 16.55 so allowing for baggage control and getting to the hotel I think I would be cutting it a bit fine to make the 5.30/6pm meet time for the Three Magpies - if Bob and Hils don't mind I think I may just join them at the Premier and catch up with everyone else later on in the evening hopefully!

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 18th!

Jacqueline

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Abbadave

Creepy crawlers and humidity ?? I wish you and all the others well...I think you are all in for a great tour and I await a review when you get back, safe flights and journeys. Have a great time.

Cindy

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
To Abbadave and all the Borneo-ettes

Sorry we'll miss the Three Magpies but, on behalf of all the Alaskanites departing four days later, have a fabulous time doing the funky gibbon in Borneo - we can compare stories, and creepy crawlies, when we get back 😃

All the best and safe travels

Mandy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave and Jacqueline,

That sounds like a good plan - I hope to arrive at the PI around 7.00pm or so and will probably go for something to eat in the restaurant there around 7.30pm.  Hopefully will catch up with the Three Magpies folks before I retire, so don't come back too late!!  Jacqueline, you're very welcome to join myself and Hils for a bite to eat!

By the way, did you receive your final docs today by email?  I received mine, but there was no daily itinerary - just a list of hotels and flights.  I'm not happy about this and have put up a thread about it - I hope it's just an omission as we need our daily plan of what we're doing!

Cheers,

Bob

PS Hopefully the wildlife will stay outside the lodges!!

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'jacq27' wrote:

Hi Dave,

Got my travel docs my email this morning - not long to go!    :cool: 🙂   I'm coming down from Glasgow to stay at the PI on Bath Road and I think the flight arrives about 16.55 so allowing for baggage control and getting to the hotel I think I would be cutting it a bit fine to make the 5.30/6pm meet time for the Three Magpies - if Bob and Hils don't mind I think I may just join them at the Premier and catch up with everyone else later on in the evening hopefully!

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 18th!

Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline,

It looks as though we are on the same flight down from Glasgow! If I don't see you before, I'll book a table in the PI for 3 for 8pm if that is OK.

Look forward to seeing you.

Cheers,

Hils

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hello fellow Travellers heading to Borneo 19th May, just three more weeks now till we head out for Jungle life in beautiful Borneo, its gonna be hot and humid I guess but between us we'll all look out for each other or just trundle along in our own time spotting exotic wildlife and plants,  for me night time will be a lonely time if its hot and sticky hoping that no horrible creepy crawlies appear on my wall as they did in the amazon ho ho never been so scared and on ringing the bell for help of which didn't come I had to deal with the little monster alone, not sure about little though it was huge

ok my little story out the way, my plans for anybody staying at the Premier Inn on Bath Road LHR, myself and Diane are arriving from Coventry via National Express and I estimate being at the PI by 3.30 on the Wednesday and as MikeW is staying at the park we are up for a meal and drinkies at the Three Magpies and so perhaps meet in the PI bar or lounge area between 5.30/6.00 to walk to the 3 magpies or perhaps get a taxi its about a mile which is 20 mins walk,  we can see what the weather is doing,  maybe get back to PI to catch Bob and Hils before they retire for the night, if not then at breakfast if we can look at a time should we miss in the evening, perhaps 7am,  what are others thoughts on this? the flight being 11.25 is it so need to be over to check in 3 hrs before and make use of the executive lounge for the odd bevvie and to make off with a few packets of peanuts for the monkeys lol :thumbup:  only kidding   :)

abbadave whom i am sure is just as excited as the rest of us borneo-ettes   :cool:

Hello Dave,

I am not sure yet when I shall arrive at the Premier Inn. If in time, I'll probably join you for the Three Magpies; if not, I'll look out for Bob &Co in the restaurant.

Presumably, with a group booking, we can only request our preferred seating position when we check in so I'll probably aim to get to T2 before check-in opens - or can we do this the night before and then use the bag drop on the day? I have not flown with Singapore Airlines before, so I am not sure of their procedure.

As our resident creepy-crawlie expert, you will obviously be a key member of our expeditionary force: I have made a note to persuade anything small, fanged, furry or fast to move straight to you while we are in Borneo :-)

See you somewhere in the LHR area

Jim

jacq27
(Member)
Hi Hils,

I shall look out for you at Glasgow!  but if we do miss each other- 8pm at PI sounds good to me.

See you soon!

Jacqueline

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jayli' wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hello Dave,

I am not sure yet when I shall arrive at the Premier Inn. If in time, I'll probably join you for the Three Magpies; if not, I'll look out for Bob &Co in the restaurant.

Presumably, with a group booking, we can only request our preferred seating position when we check in so I'll probably aim to get to T2 before check-in opens - or can we do this the night before and then use the bag drop on the day? I have not flown with Singapore Airlines before, so I am not sure of their procedure.

As our resident creepy-crawlie expert, you will obviously be a key member of our expeditionary force: I have made a note to persuade anything small, fanged, furry or fast to move straight to you while we are in Borneo :-)

See you somewhere in the LHR area

Jim

ho ho ho Jim that was funny afraid it looks like we'll be on a group booking for our flight but hopefully if we get to T2 early enough we may be able to request our seats,  we may well join you on the early bus to T2

and as for creepie crawlies i must get a picture of that beastly thing i found on my wall in the amazon onto my phone,  all the best hopefully see you around PI  Dave   

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AELB' wrote:

To Abbadave and all the Borneo-ettes

Sorry we'll miss the Three Magpies but, on behalf of all the Alaskanites departing four days later, have a fabulous time doing the funky gibbon in Borneo - we can compare stories, and creepy crawlies, when we get back 😃

All the best and safe travels

Mandy

have a nice time on your tour Mandy & the Alaskanites from me and us Borneo-ettes:cool:

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello everybody

I have not received the final documents but am sure should do so sometime early next week. Not sure about all the creepy crawlies, but here's hoping that there will not be many. I had a horrible spider like creature on the wall in the room in one of the lodges in Namibia and then it fell on the floor and I could not find it. I went to bed hoping that it will not be able to get into bed with me! At the moment the only thing I am a bit concerned about is the leeches.

See you all in the lounge if not before.

Jaya

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave

I liked title of the thread!!

I do believe your creepy crawly in the Amazon lodge was a giant cockroach. As far as I am aware they are harmless but they would certainly give me the heeber jeebers.

What we don't want is a scorpion in our shoes or anything worse after hearing about the lady on your Amazon extension getting stung by a scorpion.

Looking forward to our exciting holiday, meeting a few of the group on the 18th and the remainder on the 19th.

Di

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi everyone, the most scary creepy crawly flying thing I came across was in South Africa at one of the lodges - a huge black African hornet - at least three times the size of any wasp I've seen at home!  I swiped it with my book and all was well....

I also almost stood on a scorpion in Costa Rica - funny thing about scorpions is that seemingly the smaller they are, the more dangerous they are/worse the sting is - and this one was quite small!  Perhaps it was just a youngster....

Yep I'm a bit concerned about the leeches - I really only want to wear trousers when absolutely necessary given the heat etc so I'm hoping our local guide will give us daily info as to what we should wear the following day.  Hope we don't have to wear leech socks as they do not sound comfortable.   I'm bringing tiger balm which is meant to be good at knocking them off and will spray myself liberally with DEET.  I can't find little sachets of salt anywhere - perhaps I will at a cafe/restaurant at the airport - so if anyone else has access to them, please pick up a few for me!  Just in case the tiger balm doesn't work.  Here's hoping we will be leech free....

Less than three weeks to go now!!

Cheers,

Bob

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

I have got 7 sachets of salt.  I got them from a garden centre cafe when I was having coffee and cake. Didn't like to take too many as I didn't need them with cake!

Next Wednesday I may be able to do the same again, but I might ask the staff if I can have a couple of dozen sachets or offer to pay for some.

No matter how many I have I will be happy to dish them out, should anyone need them. Hopefully, none of us will get "leeched"

All the best 

Di

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hiya Bob and all you other Borneo-ettes

never mind the creepy crawlies this jolly expedition of ours in creeping up fast, two and a teeny bit to go now as i write, have managed to pick up some salt sachets from my place of work for anyone who needs em whatever they are for now, have you recieved your itinerary yet, mine arrived in full on Friday and it looks so even more appetising, now we have a couple of optional Singapore excursions to think about which about covers all i want to see just the river/night safari to try and squeeze in somewhere, oh and Di this definataly wasn't a gian cochroach on my wall in the amazon i think it may have been some sort of grasshopper but im not too sure on that even our nature expert on the trip couldn't tell me, you can all make up your own minds when i bring this little monster with me to the jungle though not to cause alarm it will only be on my phone lol

look forward to meeting everyone on the 18th/19th

Regards

Dave

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hey everyone, I made the mistake of checking the weather in Kota Kinabalu - tomorrow it's going to be 36C - that's OK I thought, I've been in similar temperatures before.  Then I looked at the box below with the "Feels Like" temperature (i.e. adjusting for humidity) and it reads 54C!!!!!  How will we cope?!!  Seriously, I hope the TM adjusts the itinerary so we can avoid the highest heat/humidity as much as possible....

Cheers,

Bob

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave and Di, many thanks for getting the salt sachets - hopefully we won't need them!  Dave, I'm still waiting to receive my final docs - but I'm very excited to hear that some optional excursions are now being offered for Singapore and that they tally with what you want to do there - no doubt they will tally with my wishlist too, so I will be booking them for sure!  Hopefully we can fit in the night safari as well, bearing in mind Jim's comment that public transport stops quite early (I can't remember when he said, but we can check) and perhaps get taxis back to the hotel.

Cheers,

Bob

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hiya Bob

wow what temperatures these are lol, very early starts I would think, I cannot believe you are still awaiting your full itinerary,  what? are JY waiting for! and when? can we expect to get our luggage labels...

the Singapore optionals do pretty much cover everything between them except the River/Night safari's,  I don't know how we're going to push in the night safari as only free time is our arrival night and the park opens at 7.15pm till midnight so may be lucky, the MRT runs similar to the London underground till around midnight having just checked their websites,  the river safari could be done on the going home day as the park opens at 10am,  won't give you any spoilers until you've all had your itinerary

all best wishes Borneo here we come  Dave

smudger1
(Member)
Hi

hope you all have a great time in Borneo. Im off there in November. Can you let me know what vaccines etc you have been advised to take. My doctor has made quite a few.....to be on the safe side and Im not sure if they are really needed.

AbbaDave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hiya Bob

wow what temperatures these are lol, very early starts I would think, I cannot believe you are still awaiting your full itinerary,  what? are JY waiting for! and when? can we expect to get our luggage labels...

the Singapore optionals do pretty much cover everything between them except the River/Night safari's,  I don't know how we're going to push in the night safari as only free time is our arrival night and the park opens at 7.15pm till midnight so may be lucky, the MRT runs similar to the London underground till around midnight having just checked their websites,  the river safari could be done on the going home day as the park opens at 10am,  won't give you any spoilers until you've all had your itinerary

all best wishes Borneo here we come  Dave

ps never thought the night safari could be done following on from our included tour on day one