summersun
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
About to embark on my first JY hol and my first solo holiday, so nervous of course.  Big question is which is best walking boots or trainers?  Welcome any advice, hints and tips about the trip, not just about boots.

Thanks in advance

ShellBelleJoy
(Member)
Which date are you going? I'm booked on this for May. I'm taking walking boots.
ajr
  • (Member)
(Member)
'ShellBelleJoy' wrote:

I am also a first time newbie with some slight apprehension but I am sure it will be fine. 🙂 Booked on this for 17th May and I think I am going to take walking boots.

PeterG
(Member)
I've just returned today (Tuesday) from the April Walking in Tuscany trip.

I would recommend walking boots as some of the tracks are quite stoney. They are also pretty steep in places. Trainers better for the day trips to Florence etc. in my opinion, but some of our group did use quite light weight footwear for the walks.

The hotel is good but pretty far away from anywhere - the staff were very friendly and the food was good. The views from the hotel are fantastic, especially when the mountains were snowcapped on Monday morning.

Take a waterproof - we got wet (very wet last Sunday) several times, you may be lucky as its later in the season and it may well be hot and dry.

Mick W
(Member)
Have done this holiday and if you do the same walks one in particular walking boots and also a stick are a good idea. It contains a lot of down hill on loose stones.
ajr
  • (Member)
(Member)
Peter and Mick,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated....

summersun
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'ShellBelleJoy' wrote:

Sorry for delay been off grid. Going 24 May. Boots my preference but was unsure so thanks.

summersun
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'ajr' wrote:

'ShellBelleJoy' wrote:

Best wishes for your trip. Bet we all come back wondering why we were apprehensive. On a later trip so won't meet this time.

I am also a first time newbie with some slight apprehension but I am sure it will be fine. 🙂  Booked on this for 17th May and I think I am going to take walking boots.

summersun
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PeterG' wrote:

Fantastic advice thank you. Sad you got wet, hope we escape that but will take suitable clothes. Boots it is better than a twisted ankle. Cannot wait for the view, excited now.

I've just returned today (Tuesday) from the April Walking in Tuscany trip.

I would recommend walking boots as some of the tracks are quite stoney. They are also pretty steep in places. Trainers better for the day trips to Florence etc. in my opinion, but some of our group did use quite light weight footwear for the walks.

The hotel is good but pretty far away from anywhere - the staff were very friendly and the food was good. The views from the hotel are fantastic, especially when the mountains were snowcapped on Monday morning.

Take a waterproof - we got wet (very wet last Sunday) several times, you may be lucky as its later in the season and it may well be hot and dry.

summersun
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick W' wrote:

Thanks to your and other replies have made it boots for comfort and safety. Better to be safe than sorry!

Have done this holiday and if you do the same walks one in particular walking boots and also a stick are a good idea. It contains a lot of down hill on loose stones.

ShellBelleJoy
(Member)
'summersun' wrote:

'ShellBelleJoy' wrote:

Sorry for delay been off grid. Going 24 May. Boots my preference but was unsure so thanks.

Great! Your on the same holiday as me! Are you staying at the airport the night before?