choccork
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hiya

I've been looking at the long weekend breaks that are travelling from St Pancras on Eurostar. There's a Lille and Bruges Weekend by Rail that I'm tempted with :)

I've never done a trip that this before and I've got loads of questions and I wondered if anyone had been? I'm wondering:

What's the walk from Euston to St Pancras like, is it far?

What's the journey like on Eurostar?

Is there lots to do on these breaks, is the tour 'full on'?

How many usually go on these tours?

Any advice would be great!!  🙂

Thanks

Kate

SarahS
(Member)
I went to Monet's Garden last year. I stayed in London the night before, so taxied to St Pancras, but I think it's walkable from Euston  with a rollalong case. A wheeled case is advisable  if you are going to Paris. It was a long walk from the train to our coach. Eurostar in standard class is fine.  Comfortable reserved seats and a buffet  car selling reasonably priced food. I have only transited through the station  at Lille, but I sure someone on the forum can give more information about  it.   I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend trip. Hope you will too
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Kate

I have been on a Eurostar tour I did the France/Belgium Battlefields tour..

No it is not far at all the walk from Euston to St. Pancras

The train journey is just like a normal train journey, you are responsible for getting your case on and off the other end..you are allocated a seat number the group were near one another..the couple of people who upgraded said it wasn't worth it. For me I was happy in the normal seating, just get a few nibbles before you leave home to eat on the train, as you get ripped off at the main stations.

The battlefields tour was very constructed and did not leave much free time, but I like that.

If you have a date in mind try asking Monty on the editors board how many and male female ratio age that sort of thing, she should be able to give you an idea.

The European tours I have done seem to be smaller groups 15-20 than the large USA ones up to 40 people.

Any other questions just ask..

Cindy

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Kate.

I went on the Lille and Bruge First World War Battlefields Tour last May.  Busy few days but fascinating.  I think that there were 19 of us. 

I can't speak about walking from Euston, as my connecting train came straight into St Pancras.  I only took a small suitcase as it was such a short period of time to be away and I found that was ample.  My first time on Eurostar, and it was nice to have the whole group being seated more or less together on the train.  You have to deal with getting your suitcase on and off the train, and to the bus, and the train was very busy, but perfectly adequate for the relatively short period of time you are on it. 

The hotel, Novotel in Lille was nice, very clean and quite large rooms and the staff were friendly.  Breakfast was buffet and good with hot as well as continental choices.  The included meal on the last night was not great, but I've had worse.

Hope that helps a bit.  🙂

choccork
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SarahS' wrote:

I went to Monet's Garden last year. I stayed in London the night before, so taxied to St Pancras, but I think it's walkable from Euston  with a rollalong case. A wheeled case is advisable  if you are going to Paris. It was a long walk from the train to our coach. Eurostar in standard class is fine.  Comfortable reserved seats and a buffet  car selling reasonably priced food. I have only transited through the station  at Lille, but I sure someone on the forum can give more information about  it.   I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend trip. Hope you will too

Thanks very much for replying ::) where did you stay the night before?

AbbaDave
(Member)
'choccork' wrote:

'SarahS' wrote:

about ten min walk from Euston to St Pancras all very easy with case you often pass others doing the same or in reverse dave

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Kate,

I was on the same Lille and Bruge Battlefields tour with Cindy and Elaine last May. We did not see Bruges as there was not enough time what with all the tours that we took.

Did go back in November for the Christmas Markets and went to Bruges and Ghent. Stayed at a different hotel next to the Eurostar Station.

Eurostar is easy walking from Euston. I went on the upgrade on the first trip, wished I had not as it was £140 extra.

Pack your suitcase well and make sure it is manageable as you have to lift it on and off the train plus there are steps. There are holds at end of the carraiges for suitcases including some at waist height- can be awkward 😞 

St Pancras is amazing as so many gorgeous shops and dining areas. The Christmas Market trip had a huge Christmas tree with Disney toys on it 🙂 

Enjoy and hope this helps

Jan

SarahS
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

'choccork' wrote:

'SarahS' wrote:

about ten min walk from Euston to St Pancras all very easy with case you often pass others doing the same or in reverse dave

I stayed at the Thistle Hotel just off  Euston  Square. 

CathyG
(Member)
'SarahS' wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

'choccork' wrote:

'SarahS' wrote:

Hi,

I recently went to Paris on Eurostar. I stayed the night before in the new Premier Inn which is directly opposite the British Library which is next to St Pancras station. It was reasonably priced and I got a deal which included evening meal and breakfast, both of which were very good. It was also extremely quiet, considering it is on a busy road, the sound proofing is excellent. I'd definitely use it again, especially if you have a reasonably early start, it was just a short walk to the station from the hotel. Hope this helps.

Cathy

choccork
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'CathyG' wrote:

'SarahS' wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

'choccork' wrote:

'SarahS' wrote:

Hi,

I recently went to Paris on Eurostar. I stayed the night before in the new Premier Inn which is directly opposite the British Library which is next to St Pancras station. It was reasonably priced and I got a deal which included evening meal and breakfast, both of which were very good. It was also extremely quiet, considering it is on a busy road, the sound proofing is excellent. I'd definitely use it again, especially if you have a reasonably early start, it was just a short walk to the station from the hotel. Hope this helps.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, 

Thanks for sharing your experience and the hotel sounds great, I'll keep that in mind :)

Kate