KirstyK
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone I'm doing the China tour in Oct was just wondering about what to pack! Does anyone know whether a cardigan would be enough for the evening or do i need a jumper? Also when out during the day did people have a backpack or just a small shoulder bag? 

Any info would help.

Thanks

PeterG
(Member)
Hi KirstyK

I suggest you take more than a jumper and/or cardigan and take a range of warm and cold weather clothing. When I did the China trip in September/early October a few years ago I seem to recall our local guide told us that October is a month of contrasts and the temperature can go from quite high to bitterly cold (especially later in the month) if the wind goes round to the north or northwest. I seem to remember some of the evenings felt cool.

Personally I use a small backpack to carry my camera, waterproof,water etc - but then I'm a bloke and don't have a shoulder bag.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kirsty, I echo what Peter has said - I did this tour in Sept 2014 and I think in October you should be prepared for a range of weather and temperatures.  On all these tours, everyone brings a mini rucksack or similar on the coach with them - some take them with them when we get off the coach, some just take what they need and leave it on their seat.  Your belongings will be safe on the coach as it is always locked or else the driver will stay with it.

Have a great tour - I loved China and on this tour you will see so much of all the must-see sights and lots of extras as well!

Cheers,

Bob

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kirsty

I would echo what Peter has said because I also did this trip in October (2014). Definitely take a couple of sweaters because it can be bitterly cold, especially when the pollution makes the cloud cover thick. If you are lucky and have blue skies, as we did in Shanghai, it can still be t-shirt weather but I would always have a pullover handy.

In terms of what to carry, most of my group had small day-sized back packs. Be aware that in some places, particularly Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, you will have to go through airport style scanners and bag searches before you are allowed in. Be careful not to have any lighters in your bag as they may be confiscated as, bizarrely, sometimes are umbrellas. At the airports you will also find they are very picky about batteries and may make you take the battery out of your camera to be scanned separately. (Oddly, they don't seem to be so worried about needles and syringes - my medication was waved through without a second glance!)

Happy to help if you've got any other questions

All the best

Mandy