Cambslady
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am booked on this holiday. I have done quite a few others with JY, but I am a little bit worried by all the free time.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else booked on this trip, or anyone who has done it perhaps with some advice on what there is to do in Tromso

Linda

Ps admin, I couldn't get logged in using previous user name. Links to reset password did not work. I sent an email, but as yet have had no reply.

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Linda

I went to Norway last year in March and am going again in February (24th) with a friend. It's a short holiday and you don't really get that much free time. There are various museums, shops and restaurants in Tromso - I went to the Mack Brewery with a few others and most of the group went to an art exhibition at the town hall. The included tours are just a quick run round and you might want to return to them at a slower pace. The TM will offer suggestions of what there is to do if you don't get to do your homework beforehand. You should find plenty to do and you will pal up with others. I've just received a revised itinerary where the cable car ride and dinner is cancelled due to renovations - a pity.

Regards

Sylvia

sim1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, just come back from Tromso, with another company, single type beginning with S.

Tromso is a nice place but not a great deal on offer, yes the brewery, polar museum, lots of bars, walk across the bridge both ways for some great views, and the Artic church.

Sadly the cable car is not finished yet, met two swiss guys who are rebuilding it they said its at least 3 months behind.

Hope you are luckier than us, missed the northern lights, if you can get to somewhere away from the city to see them, not sure what the JY tour does on its visit. And be warned some parts of Tromso, off the main streets are very icy, if you have shoe grips, take them, or get them there. The main streets have heated pavements so not a problem.

Enjoy

Cambslady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sim1' wrote:

Hi, just come back from Tromso, with another company, single type beginning with S.

Tromso is a nice place but not a great deal on offer, yes the brewery, polar museum, lots of bars, walk across the bridge both ways for some great views, and the Artic church.

Sadly the cable car is not finished yet, met two swiss guys who are rebuilding it they said its at least 3 months behind.

Hope you are luckier than us, missed the northern lights, if you can get to somewhere away from the city to see them, not sure what the JY tour does on its visit. And be warned some parts of Tromso, off the main streets are very icy, if you have shoe grips, take them, or get them there. The main streets have heated pavements so not a problem.

Enjoy

Thanks for the info. I am a bit concerned about spending a free day but will just have to get on and make the most of it. Shame about the cable car, but we have been made aware.

I have grips for my shoes, and a friend recommended taking walking poles, but not sure if I am going to pack them.

Weather looks like it's going to get colder there. Have my thermals ready!

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Linda

A bit late, but you will not need walking poles. Grips for the feet are essential though.

Sylvia

Lucinda
(Member)
Hi

I went to Norway at new year. I too was a little worried about the free time. The radisson blue hotel is home to all the tours that operate in the area. I went in there with a few others to look at trips that were offered. A number of us went whale watching which was amazing as we saw 15-20 whales!

Lucinda

Cambslady
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I just wanted to let everyone know that I had a fabulous time.

There were 13 of us on the trip, including 2 lovely young men in their 20s. The tour manager was Anthony McGinley.

The free time was easily filled with a walk to find the jetty(!), a visit to the Polar museum, the brewery shop, the pub next door to it (a must for beer lovers but expensive), ice cream in Pinnochio's and lots of laughs.

The husky ride was brilliant and the Northern lights performed wonderfully.

Norway is rather expensive, but I didn't spend anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

Ice grips are a must, warm clothes for the husky trip and the Northern lights, warm gloves and socks as my feet and fingers got cold even double layered.

Would thoroughly recommend.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cambslady

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Norway. I would love to go one day, but not too sure about the cold though really want to experience the husky ride one of these days.

Jaya