HONEY08
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

I have booked my first holiday to South Africa in February,has anyone got any tips for me?

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did this tour in Sept 2011 although it has changed a bit since then. It is really fantastic and I loved South Africa. I had never been on safari before and it was the most wonderful experience and the scenery in SA is out of this world!

My main tips are: see you doctor/practice nurse at least two months before you go to get whatever jabs you need. You will also need malaria tablets for Kruger - Malarone are usually prescribed and these are easy to take with minimal side effects. Make sure you take them after a meal with a good fat content to aid them being absorbed. You will also need to find an insect repellent with 50% DEET to avoid being bitten by mossies (Boots do it) - although they weren't a big problem on my tour. Put on sun screen first and then when it has dried (about 15/20 mins later) put on DEET on your arms and legs (especially on your lower legs and ankles). Be careful not to get it on your clothes or watch/camera etc as it will take the surface off!

As regards other matters, drink only bottled water and use it for washing your teeth as well. I had no tummy troubles in SA at all. Bring a memory card for your camera with plenty of space and if you don't have a camera with a decent zoom consider getting one with at least 20x as the animals and birds might not be close by!

That's all I can think of for the moment, any questions ask away!

Best wishes,

Bob

davidj
(Member)
I bought some generic malarone from Asda recently.They were £1.25 each,no prescription necessary. Just a few questions from the pharmacist.

The branded ones are much more expensive.

HONEY08
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for your tips.

I am looking forward to meeting people who have booked this holiday,

First time is a bit scary,would help to know the people beforehand.

Hope all who have booked will contact me.

M

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Honey08

Not everyone who travels with Just You use the forum so you may not hear from anyone. If you would like to know the number of people who are on this holiday, then you can put the question on the 'Editor's' page. I have booked South Africa with Zambia add on for September next year. Do let us know how you got on. Have a great experience.

Jaya

mick62
(Member)
'davidj' wrote:

I bought some generic malarone from Asda recently.They were £1.25 each,no prescription necessary. Just a few questions from the pharmacist.

The branded ones are much more expensive.

I also got mine at asda but had a presciption and gave me them for same price as the generic ones while boots wanted £106 for 26

Please note: This post was moderated to adjust the format of the quote