Chloesonic :)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone 🙂

Iv just booked my third JY holiday - The Spirit of India for 20th April 2015 :D

I know there are 9 people booked on this holiday already out of 25, so I'm not the only one hehe and filling up fast. Please don't be shy and say Hi.

I'm also thinking of booking the extra camel cart ride closer to the time and hope we get a chance to see a tiger on the other two game drives :D

I'm now very excited and can't wait, counting down the days 🙂

Looking forward to meeting you all

Chloe xx

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Chloe,

I did this tour in March 2012 and had a great time with so many new experiences! I particularly enjoyed seeing the Taj Mahal up close and we had a very close encounter with a tiger in Ranthambore as well! I enjoyed the camel cart ride as we got to see a real Indian rural village and spent time at the school. The rickshaw ride in Varanasi was a hair-raising experience and great fun (thankfully we survived in one piece!)

I hope you have a brilliant tour!

Cheers,

Bob

DPM
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Chloe

I was on the same tour as Bob back in 2012, and I have to agree that the Spirit of India is a truly fantastic holiday.

There were a few very early starts - but unavoidable if you want to see the sun rising over the Taj Mahal or the Ganges, and who would want to go to India and miss experiences like that?

But there was also plenty of free time where you could just relax by the hotel swimming pool in the gorgeous sunshine, so even if you do have an early start, you get the chance to relax again later.

The Taj Mahal and the tigers (if you see them - there's a good chance you will, as you can do up to 3 safari rides if you wish) are the obvious main attractions and certainly don't disappoint, but I think you'll also be amazed at some of the other experiences you have on the trip, not least the evening Aarti ceremony at Varanasi, and as Bob says above, the informal visits into local villages and schools. Even the coach rides are interesting, because you see the most incredible sights as you riding along in remote areas. Be prepared though, the ride from Delhi to Jaipur takes the best part of a whole day, and you may have to take a toilet break out in the open where there are no toilets!!

The biggest potential hazard on the holiday, as Bob will remember well, is the food and the risk of the infamous 'Delhi belly'. About half our group, maybe more, were struck by it at some point. I was one of the lucky ones and came home unscathed. I recommend frequent use of hand wipes/hand gels, and I also turned vegetarian for the majority of the trip which possibly helped. The majority of the time you eat in the hotels, and they're usually buffet selections with pasta available if you don't like curry.

I'm sure you'll have one of the best times of your life. Let us know how it goes!