Newdave
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've just booked.

Only a year ago I chose the username "newdave" because I felt "new" and "different". I was going on holiday to visit places and see things, my interest wasn't in people (I was concerned about the inquisition I might get from loads of new companions).

It turns out that my concerns were totally unfounded (see my other posts), and I've met lots of good and interesting people who enhanced the holiday experience.

Now I'm not so "new"; this is now my 3rd JY trip in 16 months, and I'm looking forward to meeting new people.

As far as the places and things on this trip are concerned, I've already visited Tavira and Seville on previous holidays, and they're both worth another visit.

I understand that I make the numbers up to 35 (max 40), and that there flights from 10 airports!.

Is anyone else going from Gatwick? (the lady taking my booking was surprised that I wanted Gatwick, which suggests that the majority might be flying from the other airports).

I'm in Berkshire and will be driving to LGW.

Hasta luego.

Dave

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Newdave' wrote:

I've just booked.

Only a year ago I chose the username "newdave" because I felt "new" and "different". I was going on holiday to visit places and see things, my interest wasn't in people (I was concerned about the inquisition I might get from loads of new companions).

It turns out that my concerns were totally unfounded (see my other posts), and I've met lots of good and interesting people who enhanced the holiday experience.

Now I'm not so "new"; this is now my 3rd JY trip in 16 months, and I'm looking forward to meeting new people.

As far as the places and things on this trip are concerned, I've already visited Tavira and Seville on previous holidays, and they're both worth another visit.

I understand that I make the numbers up to 35 (max 40), and that there flights from 10 airports!.

Is anyone else going from Gatwick? (the lady taking my booking was suprised that I wanted Gatwick, which suggests that the majority might be flying from the other airports).

I'm in Berkshire and will be driving to LGW.

Hasta luego.

Dave

Hi Dave.

Sadly I am going a week later than you otherwise we could have met. 🙂 I'm flying on the 23rd from Birmingham and as I live just north of Nottingham it is a lot easier for me than trailing down to Gatwick. I can taxi to the airport and I don't have to overnight. I know when I booked that I think there were 13 booked and 5 of them including myself were flying from Birmingham so it sounds as though the holiday is very popular for regional flights.

Anyway have a great time. Provisionally I think we have the same TM, Georgina Lincoln. I hope you have more response to your query on the forum on anyone who is going on your dates than I have. :thumbup:

Newdave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Bosuncat,

Shame we won't meet; I've read many of your prolific posts.

Dave

Siouxperhero
(Member)
Ola Dave!!

I too am going from Gatwick on 16th September and really looking forward. Have just returned on Saturday from my 5th JY trip, had a great time in Apulia meeting so many new and fascinating people with so many stories to tell. Where abouts are you from as I too will be travelling from Berkshire? Sounds like a very large group but if everyone is as sociable as other trips it should be fun. I am booked in at the Aspire Lounge at Gatwick prior to the flight to spoil myself before take off, but sure I will make your acquaintance during our journey.

Regards

Lesley

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Siouxperhero' wrote:

Ola Dave!!

I too am going from Gatwick on 16th September and really looking forward. Have just returned on Saturday from my 5th JY trip, had a great time in Apulia meeting so many new and fascinating people with so many stories to tell. Where abouts are you from as I too will be travelling from Berkshire? Sounds like a very large group but if everyone is as sociable as other trips it should be fun. I am booked in at the Aspire Lounge at Gatwick prior to the flight to spoil myself before take off, but sure I will make your acquaintance during our journey.

Regards

Lesley

Have a great time both. From prolific me. 😃

JSP
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hola All

I too am going on this holiday, my 4th with Just You, but flying from Manchester sounds like it will be a big group. Looking forward to meeting you all! Jennifer

Newdave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Siouxperhero' wrote:

Ola Dave!!

Regards

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I'm in Wokingham. Look forward to meeting you. You too Jennifer. Have a safe trip. Dave

Newdave
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Had a great time, but this was my first JY trip that wasn't a tour, Because of this I found that we had more time for "in depth" conversations. I met some great people, and probably mixed with far more people than I would have on a tour. That's a real plus.

The hotel is large and very well kept. The pool is as good as any I've seen, with just enough sunloungers for the time of the year (mid-September). They may not have been sufficient in high-season.

The restaurant was clean, with two long tables reserved for JY. The food was self-service, buffet-style, for all courses and was good quality with plenty of choice. Wine was available from a machine on the wall!

The pool bar was open all day dispensing drinks (free of course if you have the "all inclusive" wristband). Not the exotic brands but perfectly adequate.

Bedrooms were large, with all the usual facilities. I had a problem tuning into English-speaking channels ("insufficient signal") and mentioned this at reception. It wasn't a particular problem to me as I speak Spanish, and I didn't really expect it to be fixed (....manana...). However when I got back to my room it WAS fixed. Well done,

There was entertainment all nights, but that wasn't for me.

The hotel has a private (secure) access to the beach. suitable for long walks.

I did find that the excursions were a bit limited. In particular we could have done with much more time in Seville. The highlight for me was the "Columbus Trail" with the full-size replicas of the Santa Maria, Nina and Pinto.

"Tour or stay" next time? I'm undecided. I know that this particular holiday does have a number of people making repeat visits, but I can't see myself coming back.

The tour guide, Georgina Lincoln, was particularly good. it's a tough job managing 40 clients from at least 5 different airports!

Bosuncat
(Member)
Glad you had a great time Dave! I enjoyed my holiday a lot, just health problems let it down for me.; I think if I went back I should have to go as early as I could in the season because of the humidity.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Newdave' wrote:

Had a great time, but this was my first JY trip that wasn't a tour, Because of this I found that we had more time for "in depth" conversations. I met some great people, and probably mixed with far more people than I would have on a tour. That's a real plus.

The hotel is large and very well kept. The pool is as good as any I've seen, with just enough sunloungers for the time of the year (mid-September). They may not have been sufficient in high-season.

The restaurant was clean, with two long tables reserved for JY. The food was self-service, buffet-style, for all courses and was good quality with plenty of choice. Wine was available from a machine on the wall!

The pool bar was open all day dispensing drinks (free of course if you have the "all inclusive" wristband). Not the exotic brands but perfectly adequate.

Bedrooms were large, with all the usual facilities. I had a problem tuning into English-speaking channels ("insufficient signal") and mentioned this at reception. It wasn't a particular problem to me as I speak Spanish, and I didn't really expect it to be fixed (....manana...). However when I got back to my room it WAS fixed. Well done,

There was entertainment all nights, but that wasn't for me.

The hotel has a private (secure) access to the beach. suitable for long walks.

I did find that the excursions were a bit limited. In particular we could have done with much more time in Seville. The highlight for me was the "Columbus Trail" with the full-size replicas of the Santa Maria, Nina and Pinto.

"Tour or stay" next time? I'm undecided. I know that this particular holiday does have a number of people making repeat visits, but I can't see myself coming back.

The tour guide, Georgina Lincoln, was particularly good. it's a tough job managing 40 clients from at least 5 different airports!

Dave

Sounds like you have had a good time, with so many holidays to choose from I am sure you will have fun either way..tour or stay..thanks for posting a review.

Cindy

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your excellent review. It sounds like it was a really good holiday.

Personally, I've not done a one stay holiday for years, as I'm worried about being bored - so how did it compare with a touring holiday? Was there enough to keep you occupied?

Kerry

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Dave

Columbus Trail was my personal favourite as well when I went in May 2011.

Kerry, this holiday is a right mixture of excursions and free time. I certainly did not get bored. You can have lovely walks along the beach during the free time or have a nice siesta. You certainly are not on the go all the time like a touring holiday and hence it is a nice relaxing one.

Jaya