sylvieann
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi I’m going to Italy’s Cilento Coast this June and it has been some time since I have been on holiday abroad and this will be the first time going away on my own and I need some advice on what money/travellers cheques to take.

I know some of you have been to the Hotel Lapprodo before and is it best to take some Euro’s with Travellers Cheques or all Euros’. If I took Travellers Cheques with me how easy is it to change them at this resort?

Also does anyone know how much this hotel charges for a safety deposit box?

Many thanks

Sylvie

mikethesaint
(Member)
'sylvieann' wrote:

Hi I’m going to Italy’s Cilento Coast this June and it has been some time since I have been on holiday abroad and this will be the first time going away on my own and I need some advice on what money/travellers cheques to take.

I know some of you have been to the Hotel Lapprodo before and is it best to take some Euro’s with Travellers Cheques or all Euros’. If I took Travellers Cheques with me how easy is it to change them at this resort?

Many thanks

Sylvie

I did this holiday last year and had a great time. I would recommend taking Euros for cash and a credit or debit card. Travellers cheques have become very out dated now and I think you will find very few people use them at all these days.

You will certainly get opportunities to get cash from a cash machine but remember to advise your bank before you go so they give clearance for the card to be used abroad.

From memory some of the rooms in the hotel had a safe but if not I'm sure there was only a small charge if you used the hotel safe.

Hope this helps and a wonderful holiday.

Mike

Bosuncat
(Member)
'sylvieann' wrote:

Many thanks

Sylvie

Hi Sylvie.

First of all (unless they have changed things from last year) there is a safe in each of the rooms. I have never used one so I am not totally sure if the hotel charges for it or not. I always used to leave my passport behind the reception desk and don't carry many valuables with me anyway. Remember to take a photocopy of your passport with you as you will need it if you are above 65 in some of the museums.

As far as the money issue goes I remember asking this question here on the forum before I first went to Cilento in 2011. The hotel doesn't exchange money (unless again things have changed). I don't bother with travellers cheques now and always get a Euro cash card where you load it up and treat it like a debit card. There is certainly one atm machine in San Marco if not more. Santa Maria (the village just down the coast) has more. Instructions are in English as well as Italian!! I always now take the cash card and some Euros cash to begin with and then change money as I need to.

You may know or have read that the hotel operates a cash free bar, so whatever drinks you have at night in the bar are put on a card which to up your total and gives you a receipt so you can keep checking what you have spent. That accounts for all alcoholic/non alcoholic drinks and coffees that you have had from the bar. Then on the last night you just take your card to reception and you can pay b your euro cash card or your credit card. It's a system I really like as you can easily keep a watch on what you have spent. :thumbup: All wine on the table at night is free of charge. :P

Hope that has answered your questions a bit. If not please feel free to ask on. And wave to room 219 for me. I loved it so much when I went the first time that I asked for it (and got it) last year when I went back. 🙂

sjm533
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sylvieann' wrote:

Many thanks

Sylvie

Hi

Don't bother with travellers cheques, they can be hard to change. If you don't want to take to much cash get a cash card, Fairfx give good rates, and then all you have to do is find an ATM.

Have a good trip

Sylvia

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvie,

I recently did this tour so i may be able to help you.

Travellers cheques are always a great safety net however i don't remember there being anywhere in the immediate vicinity that had the capacity to change them. There was a safe in my room but also i think reception may keep these for you (and give you a key to a safe at reception).

It is quite cheap there as well to be honest so i wouldn't take a lot. I took £200 and came back with £50 despite buying quite a few souvenirs.

Hope this helps

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvie,

Not many people take travellers cheques on holiday these days and they cant always be changed and you can spend large chunks of your hol searching for places that will change them for you. So given the choices i would definately go for Euros.

The alternative is to get a travellers cash card (believe Post Office do a good one), you can load them with a given amount of cash and use like a credit card.

Mick

HelenJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sylvieann' wrote:

Many thanks

Sylvie

Hi Sylvie

I can guarantee you'll LOVE the hotel right beside the harbour, the owners, well everything. I loved walking out on the harbour wall before breakfast & dinner. There are some shops & the centre of the village around the harbour & up the hill, then turn right. It stands out as one of my most loved Justyou holidays.

You just need euros.

HelenJ

sylvieann
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sylvieann' wrote:

Many thanks

Sylvie

Thank you all so much for all your lovely advice. What a good idea the cash card is I will certainly look into getting one of those, much better than trying to change travellers cheque. I assume like a debit/credit card there will be a small charge using a ATM abroad. It seems the best solution is some Euro's and a cash card, which is what I will be taken.

Bosuncat.........thanks for letting me know about the cash free bar, and I will say hello to room 219 for you.

Sylvie

Bosuncat
(Member)
'sylvieann' wrote:

'sylvieann' wrote:

Many thanks

Sylvie

Thank you all so much for all your lovely advice. What a good idea the cash card is I will certainly look into getting one of those, much better than trying to change travellers cheque. I assume like a debit/credit card there will be a small charge using a ATM abroad. It seems the best solution is some Euro's and a cash card, which is what I will be taken.

Bosuncat.........thanks for letting me know about the cash free bar, and I will say hello to room 219 for you.

Sylvie

Thank you! Have a great time and don't forget a review when you come back. :thumbup: