madwife
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
going to Peru in August next year. Anyone else going would love to hear from you. I will probably fly from Manchester or Gatwick,
ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Just got back and I have to say it was one of the best holidays i have ever been on. Obviously Machu Picchu was the reason most people went but those of us who did the Amazon add on felt that it was the real highlight so if you cad do it, do so. Any questions you have just ask

Keith

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Keith,

I'm so pleased to hear that you had such a great time - would you consider sharing your experiences with a full review... I'm sure fellow community members would appreciate it.

Kindest regards,

Julia

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia,

yes I will in the next few days as there is always some useful info that people are looking for

Keith

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Quick Review,

Having just returned from the Peru trip with Amazon add on in November I can honestly say that this was one of the best trips I have ever been on. Although it was my first time with Just You, I am lucky enough to have done many long haul tours previously with a competitor and the JU holiday certainly matched the best of them.

We were lucky because the weather was good throughout but at that altitude it can change so you need to cover for all eventualities. I think the pre travel instructions refer to ski type gear and that is probably right although a ‘soft shell’ jacket will probably act as waterproof and warm layer at the same time. I never actually wore mine but if the rain we had overnight in the Amazon happened in the daytime, I certainly would have.

Things to take, electrical adaptor (round two pin), photo copy of main passport page as you can use as ID rather than carry passport around, rehydration sachets like Diorolite (more on this later). If you are doing the amazon, head torch and wellington boot socks. Anti mozzi stuff although they were not a problem even in the rain forest. Malaria tablets but cheaper to get in Tesco or Asda than a GP prescription.

This is a full on trip in that there is little spare time as there is so much to see but well worth it. The most important point to make is about the altitude and the effects which some of us experienced. Do the following and you will not have any problems. The key is to drink large quantities of water and if you need it, the dehydration sachets. 0.6 litre bottles are available everywhere and you need 3 of those a day. I never drink water and struggled at first but you soon get used to it. Alison out brilliant tour manager hammered this home and she was right it does work and anyway you are never far from a toilet and if you have done a few of the tours the saying, “see one use one” applies.

All the hotels serve free coca tea which looks a bit like green tea and is the local preventative drink and well worth having a cup every morning or when you feel breathless and you can always buy the local coca sweets which are not bad. Once I got used to drinking that amount of water I was fine. Don’t be put off because of what I have said, just start drinking the water when you arrive up in Cusco and all will be fine.

Peru is not an expensive country and my total spend was about £300 in Peruvian currency and £150 in Dollars and this covered meals and gifts and my need for lots of red wine. I bought a baby alpaca wool scarf for about $44 included in that amount. You can get the Peru Sol in the UK and I got mine in Tesco and make sure you specify new notes, as they don’t like grubby ones. I found $1 dollar bills very useful for tipping so plenty of those will be useful. There are ATM’s but don’t rely on them so take before and use the safe in the hotel rooms.

The food was very good and they were able to cope with the vegetarian in the group. If you want to try a guinea pig order one between a group of you. The alpaca meat is quite tasty but don’t try the giant maggot things for sale in the Amazon.

One or two people were put off going to the Amazon because of the creepy crawlies but don’t be as they don’t get that close to you. I had a fear of snakes but managed to touch one in in the sanctuary we visited but this was not compulsory. We all said that whilst Machu Picchu was fantastic and the main reason for going, the Amazon was the highlight.

As way if there are any more questions,

Keith

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Keith,

What a great review. Thank You for sharing your experiences and tips, I hope to be able to do this trip at some point in the future.

I have to ask though, did anyone in your group try the giant maggot thing?!

Kezzer

zztop27
(Member)
Did the Peru trip earlier this year and can only agree with the post above. Busy, busy holiday with early starts and travelling but well worth the trip. I got my cash at ATMs in Peru with no problems and these were plentiful and convenient.

That was my 3rd JY trip (Australia and China the others) and all have been great and friendly experiences. Just booked for India in March 2014 so looking forward to that.

On all 3 trips the men have been out numbered by the women but no problem as everyone has been friendly and fun company. Highly recommend JY for single travellers.

Enjoy ..... Pete

PS When will JY re introduce Japan as a destination ??

gooner67
(Member)
Hi Peru Trippers

I did this trip last year and did a brief diary. It has hotel links and places we saw links and my views of each place. I realise this is a very personal view and others on my trip and every other trip will have enjoyed some places more and some less. But it may help or give you a laugh. This link takes you to my personal website. There is no advertising on it, it has my diary or notes, some of my photos and links to help you out to official places I visited. I did not do this trip with Just You but the places will all be similiar.

http://www.gooners-website.co.uk/travel/peru-2013.html 

Hope it helps

Alan

:thumbup:

JanetL22
(Member)
Hi Keith

Thanks very much for the great review and for all the useful tips you have provided.

I have booked the Peru/Amazon trip for next May with Travelsphere as they did an 18 day triip but then, on reading info some info, became rather concerned about safety out there and also the effects of altitude sickness. Your review has put my mind at rest as sounds like there is no need to worry provided I take sensible precautions and take good heed of what the tour rep advises.

Thanks to you I now feel much more prepared and am really looking forward to it, particularly the Amazon which I must admit sold me the overall holiday in the first place.

Thanks again

Janet

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Many thanks Keith for your review! Janet, I'm thinking about doing this tour with Travelsphere in a couple of years as I like the idea of the longer tour with more time to acclimatise and also the Amazon add-on sounds better. Could you write a review of your holiday when you get back, so I'd have a better idea of what to expect?

All the best,

Bob

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Keith, I'd just like to add that your review is brilliant and I've printed it out, to keep in my brochure for when I hopefully do Peru!

All the best,

Bob

Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
'zztop27' wrote:

PS When will JY re introduce Japan as a destination ??

Hi Pete, we are looking into it as a possibility for 2015, but at this stage it's too early to say if it will definitely happen or not.

Thanks,

Tim