gillbo
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Booking Inspirational China in May but not sure about the add on cruise. I'm not good on water, reviews seem mixed but then I'll only be there once!! Any advice/recommendations gratefully received. :huh:
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I've booked for next Sept including the cruise! The reviews I've read of it sound very good - the tour itself is very full on and it will be nice to end with a few days on the river at a slower pace. I've been told by another traveller that there are two excursions on offer for each day of the cruise -one included and one optional (booked/payable locally) so there will be lots to do as well! The one thing I'm sure about is that all the reviews say to book the cabin upgrade/amenity package - that at £109 it is very much worth it for a better cabin, choice of restaurants and a more relaxed dining experience. Seemingly on some tours, those who had booked the upgrade got a second one to the executive deck!

Hope you have a great holiday,

Bob

Lucinda
(Member)
'gillbo' wrote:

Booking Inspirational China in May but not sure about the add on cruise. I'm not good on water, reviews seem mixed but then I'll only be there once!! Any advice/recommendations gratefully received. :huh:

Definitely worth doing if you can afford it and get the time off. You almost wouldn't know u were on a boat it was so smooth. It is a bit more chilled out and yes there are 2 trips per day, one included each day. The upgrade meant you were able to get away from all the Chinese tourists which was a blessing at dinner time! Although our tour manager managed to get those who hadn't upgraded moved upstairs for meal times too but they had a buffet as opposed to the a la carte. There was entertainment each night by the staff too.

Go for it!

Lucinda

sim1
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have just come back from this trip, and had the add on and upgrade.

First I think JY should drop the executive and just name it amenities package, the only differences in cabins is one higher up on the boat, so non upgraders have exactly the same cabin on deck two while upgraders are on deck 4, and of all the accommodation, this is the worst on the trip, the MV Katrina, the boat we were on has very good public rooms but the cabins are in a serious need of refurbishment, don't get me wrong they are very clean and have everything you need.

The food you receive on the upgrade at breakfast and lunch is exactly the same as the non-upgrade, but without the crowds of the Chinese tourists. Evening meal is booked at lunch and has a few choices but nothing really stands out.

The washing of 4 items a day come back wrapped in cellophane and are clean and well pressed.

The snacks available seem only to be fruit and peanuts and biscuits,

coffee and tea and soft drinks are always available.

On the evening of the captains welcome reception a few more snacks were on offer, but were not covered so when I went to pick one up a few flies took off, and so I avoided them, they really need to be covered.

The trips a shore that are included are good.

The additional trips, especially the tribe one, it is a bit contrived but the views are excellent. Additional trips only run if they have 30 people booked.

I don't know why people say the cruise is relaxing, unless you stay on board and miss breakfast. Breakfast is from 7;30 to 8:30 then the included excursion till lunch then after lunch there is the optional excursion, all are quite long walks and or stairs.

Overall if JY sold this add on upgrade as amenities package it would be more correct, I still would have booked it.

Go to China you will be amazed, it is going through such a change and at a lightening pace. It is nothing what you expected and more than you thought.

Sheryl Jordan
(Member)
Just come back from the China trip and enjoyed the Three Gorges cruise. Nice chance to relax a bit particularly if you only do the included excursions. The upgrade is definitely worth it particularly for the drinks and snacks, the a la carte dining and the 4 pieces of washing a day. We were all disappointed with the cabins though don't expect luxury but they were adequate. Look on the cruise ships website to get a clear idea of what you will get. The scenery is amazing as is the experience of going through the locks.
MARIE W
(Member)
I did the Inspirational China tour in August 2013 with the Yangtze Cruise add on. Like you I thought I'll only do this once so wanted the full experience and was glad I did but that said when the rest of the group went home on day 12 I could have happily gone with them as the main tour is quite exhausting. I had been in two minds whether to upgrade or not and in the end didn't; there were three of us out of our group of ten who hadn't. The cruise director arranged for us to have our meals on the executive deck with the rest of our group but obviously we did not get the rest of the package. I would happily have eaten in the buffet restaurant as that had been my original choice but they seemed to want to keep us all together as a group. I don't regret not having the upgrade. The cabins are all the same, you get a higher floor if you upgrade, but I think the contrast between the 5 star hotel you've just come from in Shanghai and the accommodation you get on board is vast. The room is clean and comfortable but basic (circa 1950's) - the bathroom for me was like something you'd find in a caravan. Also what you need to remember is that there are two trips out each day, one included, one optional and your time on the main boat itself could be limited. The alcoholic drinks are only served as part of the upgrade after 6pm and if you hadn't upgraded and wanted to buy a drink they are very reasonably priced anyway at around £2.50 for two small cans of lager. There is complimentary tea and biscuits each afternoon also each day for everyone. Personally I'm glad I didn't upgrade but I can see why others choose to particularly for the laundry aspect and use of the quieter upstairs deck area.