Skye
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Has anyone done this? I'd like to do it in the autumn, really want to see Petra, and have just had a Red Sea cruise cancelled.

Trouble is, I'm a lousy traveller (on buses), and don't usually do land tours. I've looked at the map, and the distances don't seem to be that great, but I really need to know how windy the roads are.

Can anybody help?

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Skye

My first trip with Just You was to Jordan in September 2009. I chose it as I too wanted to see Petra. The roads are not windy at all and are in good condition. I too used to be a lousy traveller - on planes, buses and am still lousy as a back sit passenger! When I went to Jordan we had an option at the end to stay at the Dead Sea Marriott and the tour did not include Aquaba. Jordan is lovely and food too is delicious. I thoroughly recommend Jordan. To be on the safe side why don't you take some travel sickness remedies? I used to take pills for quite a few years, but do not need them now either on the plane or buses.

Regards

Jaya

Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hello Skye

My first trip with Just You was to Jordan in September 2009. I chose it as I too wanted to see Petra. The roads are not windy at all and are in good condition. I too used to be a lousy traveller - on planes, buses and am still lousy as a back sit passenger! When I went to Jordan we had an option at the end to stay at the Dead Sea Marriott and the tour did not include Aquaba. Jordan is lovely and food too is delicious. I thoroughly recommend Jordan. To be on the safe side why don't you take some travel sickness remedies? I used to take pills for quite a few years, but do not need them now either on the plane or buses.

Regards

Jaya

Thanks Jaya, that's really helpful. I'm going to go for it. I was so disappointed about my cruise, but at least I got my deposit back!;)

Cheers,

Hazel

Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Skye' wrote:

'Jaya' wrote:

Hello Skye

Regards

Jaya

Thanks Jaya, that's really helpful. I'm going to go for it. I was so disappointed about my cruise, but at least I got my deposit back!;)

Cheers,

Hazel

Just booked it for 7th September.:thumbup:

Anyone else going then?

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
You will have a fantastic time. I try to avoid cruises as the sea does not like me!

Jaya

Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

You will have a fantastic time. I try to avoid cruises as the sea does not like me!

Jaya

I love them Jaya. I like to see lots of places without the hassle of packing and unpacking every day. I don't go for the 'monsters of the sea' though, for me, small is beautiful.

I think the company I'd booked with is in trouble, I was lucky to get my deposit back. Pity, because they were excellent.

I'm excited about Jordan though, the itinerary looks brilliant.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
If you like cruises, I think there are a few on offer with Just You. I had booked the Nile Cruise for April this year - thought cruising on the river would be okay - but had to cancel. Hopefully will be able to rebook next year. Perhaps one day I will be brave and try a sea cruise!

Jaya

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Skye,

I did the combined Jordan, Sinai and Egypt tour in September 2010. Jordan was special, Petra was done early in the morning with the travel through the Siq having no idea of the wonder waiting at the end. Sunrise over the Treasury. The people arriving after the sun had travelled over, were wondering what it was all about- missed a great memory. Jerash, Amman, the Dead Sea and the Seven Pillars of Wisdom at Wadi Rum. We stayed at Aqaba only because we were sailing to the Sinai and Nuweiba. All journeys are easy and never more than 2 hours. Ibrahim the guide was amazing- he knew everybody.

Hope you have a great time.

Jan.

Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'janib' wrote:

Hello Skye,

I did the combined Jordan, Sinai and Egypt tour in September 2010. Jordan was special, Petra was done early in the morning with the travel through the Siq having no idea of the wonder waiting at the end. Sunrise over the Treasury. The people arriving after the sun had travelled over, were wondering what it was all about- missed a great memory. Jerash, Amman, the Dead Sea and the Seven Pillars of Wisdom at Wadi Rum. We stayed at Aqaba only because we were sailing to the Sinai and Nuweiba. All journeys are easy and never more than 2 hours. Ibrahim the guide was amazing- he knew everybody.

Hope you have a great time.

Jan.

Thanks Jan, I'm really looking forward to it now. It's good to know that the journeys are short, that's one worry off my mind.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of going to St Catherine's monastery from Aqaba on the last day? I must admit, I'd be torn between that and snorkelling in the Red Sea, but I'd love to go to the monastery.

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Skye,

The journey from Aqaba was by ferry to Nuweiba where we stayed for 2 nights.We travelled to St Catherines and saw the famous burning bush. I missed out on the glass bottom boat from the hotel at Aqaba which went over the wrecks- I am sure they said there was an Italian tank down there from WW2. A big decision of which one you want to do.

Jan.

Valerie Raynor
(Member)
'Skye' wrote:

'Skye' wrote:

'Jaya' wrote:

Hello Skye

Regards

Jaya

Cheers,

Hazel

Just booked it for 7th September.:thumbup:

Anyone else going then?

Hi, I'm also going to Jordan on 7th September. Only booked a week ago! This will be my second JY holiday, I went to China in August last year and had a fabulous time and met some lovely people. About 6 of us meet up regularly now (3 times so far) and we're planning our next catch-up weekend in Bristol in November. See you at Heathrow on Saturday! :thumbup:

Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Valerie

It's exciting, isn't it? I must confess, I was half expecting it to be cancelled in light of the problems in Syria. I'm really looking forward to it.

See you at Heathrow.

Hazel

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jerash is quite close to the Syrian border and I think was the main road to Damascus in the Roman times. I loved Jordan. It is so sad that what is happening in Syria is the same that has happened all over the Middle East. We missed the Arab Spring by 3 months in Cairo.

I hope you have a wonderful time :)

Jan.

Bosuncat
(Member)
Have a great time Hazel! It's on my wish list to do!
Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Jan.

Jerash is on the itinerary for Monday afternoon, I hope they don't have to cancel. This is such a wonderful tour, every day is a highlight. Soo looking forward to it.

Skye
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just back from the trip, it was fantastic. I'll post a review later, and some pics when I sort them out, but if anyone is considering this, just do it!

We encountered no trouble at all, and the anti-western feeling the FO warned about just wasn't there. Everyone we met was lovely, apart from the staff of one hotel who refused to change my Scottish banknotes - awful warning!

We were in fact very lucky, there were few parties there, so we had the sites to ourselves, the people were grateful that we had come, and prices were low.

Amazing trip.

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Glad you had a great time :)

Jan