Gel
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm thinking about booking the trip to Istanbul in March but am a bit worried about it? Has anyone been before or going in March or have any tips?

Gel

daveJB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Gel

I have been on this holiday and had a great time, however I did not do any optional tours, I went on the

hop on- hop off bus tour from the Blue mosque area cost 20 euros a for 24 hour ticket.

Also if you want to buy tukish delight don't buy the boxes tied with pink ribbon as they are most likely out of date.

There's not much to do at night but it's safe to walk around the streets from the hotel.

I'm sure you will have a good time.

Dave.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gel

Why are you worried? If you really fancy this trip then I would suggest you go ahead and book it. This is exactly what I did when I decided to travel on my own. I booked Jordan as I always wanted to see Petra. Of course, I was nervous and apprehensive as had no idea what to expect, but am so glad that I just went ahead and booked it. Since then I have had 3 more holidays with Just You and they have all been lovely. There is no need to worry about anything when travelling with Just You. You are looked after very well. I have not been to Istanbut, but have heard good things about the trip. I will do this trip one day.

Jaya

Steve1973
(Member)
'daveJB' wrote:

Hello Gel

I have been on this holiday and had a great time, however I did not do any optional tours, I went on the

hop on- hop off bus tour from the Blue mosque area cost 20 euros a for 24 hour ticket.

Also if you want to buy tukish delight don't buy the boxes tied with pink ribbon as they are most likely out of date.

There's not much to do at night but it's safe to walk around the streets from the hotel.

I'm sure you will have a good time.

Dave.

Hello Gel. I'd just like to clarify daveJB's reply to you in that there's not much to do at night. I have done ten JY holidays to date, and out of them all, the Istanbul City Break has been the only one where guests did not converge upon the bar in the evening (although there was a modest one at the hotel). Turkey is an Islamic country after all. However, three of the optional excursions took place in the evening - The Whirling Dervishes, a Folk Show / Bellydancing plus Dinner, & and dinner in a converted cistern, so you are unlikely to get bored! In fact I would recommend going on all the optional excursions to discover more of this wonderful city and its Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman Empire heritage.

Just one word of caution: if you should venture out on your own during the day, I think that you would agree that Istanbul is one of the most densely populated, crowded cities you could visit. However, whilst I never felt threatened or intimidated by the local populace, you should still take the usual precautions. If anything, the locals really do make tourists feel welcome and English seems to be widely spoken.