brownowl
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, just booked on the Magic of Kenya on 20th March. Has anyone been in March?I II understand the long rains start this month through to June, so am a bit worried it will be raining all the time. Also, what do you think of Kenya Airways. there are some terrible reviews for this airline, which I only decided to look at after I booked!

Thank you x :cool:

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

I did this tour a couple years ago what a fantastic tour I also did the add on at the 2nd hotel, I went October time and it was very hot....so no idea about march....I think we only had one downpour which was overnight...really great tour you will have fun...if I can help with anything just ask..

Cindy

brownowl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Hello

I did this tour a couple years ago what a fantastic tour I also did the add on at the 2nd hotel, I went October time and it was very hot....so no idea about march....I think we only had one downpour which was overnight...really great tour you will have fun...if I can help with anything just ask..

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your reply. Did you travel with Kenya Airways? if so, what did you think? What sort of mozzie spray did you take? Any idea how much in Kenyan shillings I should take? Thank yiu. X:thumbup:

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, I can't remember who we flew with, but I have never hAd a problem, I am not a good flyer so I don't require much other than peace and quiet, I take my I pod and a book ...

I took a spray that had deet in it, I got bitten to death, and they became infected, which wasn't pleasant..I spent very little money as I do not buy tourist bits n bobs..

Cindy

Lain
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I went March this year and it wa my first JY holiday. I will be surprised if you have any rain, it was hot but not unbearable. The rivers were dry and the damn had virtually nothng around the hotel. I thought it was a good month personally.

You don't need that much money - at the first hotel. things are mainly covered other than your drinks from the bar, nothing really to buy other than very small gift shop. Then the 2nd hotel would only be your lunches by the pool etc. and again drinks from the bar and while having your evening meal, as the meal and breakfast are included. It therefore depends what trips you do and you only have a few days to do those so can only do so much. You will have these prices before you go and you can actually pay for these in Pounds if you wish anyway.

With regards repellent, use those with at least 40% deet in and you shouldn't have any problems.

Enjoy, I am sure you will, I had a great time!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Forgot to say they do have spa sort of treatments at 2nd hotel I had a manicure and an Indian head and shoulder massage which was bliss and a fraction of what you pay in England....you book these aT the hotel

Cindy

Lain
  • (Member)
(Member)
Forgot to say, Kenya airlines are okay, wouldn't say great!

I think I took about £600 but came back with quite a bit, does depend on trips and if you but much, e.g. wood carvings, arty stuff but I didn't. There is a bank up from the 2nd hotel if you need to use that anyway.

brownowl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Lain and Cindy cor your replies and advice. they are a great help.xx:cool:
brownowl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Lain,

Thanks again for your reply. Did you have to do much walking? I dont know whether I should pack walking shoes, or would ordinary trainers be ok?

When you were at the lodge what did people wear in the evenings? I have read that you have to take a soft sided bag on the safari part and I am wondering how much we have to take in that bag, and if you have to check it in with the main suitcase. i hope you dont mine me asking you questions. Xx

martini2429
(Member)
Hi Brownowl,

Wow, you are in for the holiday of a life time, your main suitcase leaves you at Mombassa Airport and goes to the hotel for the 2nd part of the holiday, you will therefore need to take in your holdall enough clothing/supplies etc for your stay at the lodge, basically a change of clothing when you arrive at the lodge, its your first chance to change clothing since you depart London, perhaps something else for the evening, then 2 full days worth of clothes and then something to travel to Mombass in on the Sunday.

In the evenings at the Lodge you can wear what you feel comfortable in, its not dressy, however in Mombassa there is a dress code (of sorts) for the Restaurant, if you search the forum you will find lots of other posts regarding this Holiday.

Happy to provide any other answers that you want, I went dolphin watching when in Mombassa and had a great time.

Have a great time (silly me, of course you will)

Martin

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I agree with all that Martin has said, for the safari part I took travel sized toiletries and left the large bottles in the main case. Just make sure your camera and phone and any chargers you need are in the safari bag...

Do take tissues, wet wipes and hand cleansing gel with you at all times.

I did take 4 casual floaty dresses with me and these were worn more to do with the heat than dressing up. This was at the 2nd hotel.

There is or was when I was there two restaurants in the hotel Italian by the entrance and a Indian as well myself and a few others ate in both of theses, very nice food you have to pay for the meal as this is not included, it just made a change from the Buffett meal which I find as a vegetarian can get rather boring...

Cindy

brownowl
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thats great, thank you all for taking the time to post replies. You have all been so helpful. I'm soooo excited now, I just hope it isn't cancelled.

Thanx again. Sheila xx

Lain
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Just noticed noone answered about footwear. I took walking trainer type shoes but normal trainers would be fine. Not much walking, only thing is that normal trainers can obviously get hot but other than that, would be fine. Some had walking shoes and others even sandals but would advise a full shoe really.

You will really enjoy, all food was a good standard and hotels both to a good standard.

Enjoy!