chris_m
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Have just booked my first single break with Just You.

In the past, when I have been single at Christmas, it wasn't a big thing, because I would just go home to visit my folks for the holiday, who were always happy to see me.

However, they have now passed on and the big family Christmas came to an end.

On two occasions since, I hosted my own Christmas celebrations, putting out a general invite to various friends who are themselves single. Both times it was a great success and enjoyable on the day, but it really was a bit of a gamble - mainly due to my friends inablity to commit in advance (heh - perhaps that's why they are single!).

The last couple of years, I've had various invitations to join friends, and have enjoyed myself, but sometimes you feel you are intruding, especially if you are the only guest at a family Christmas. So this year, despite an standing invite from some good friends, I decided to take a small adventure, and book Christmas in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Another good reason for doing this is that I have been pondering some of the bigger vacations here, and this will be a way to dip my toe in the Just You holiday scene.

Look forward to seeing people in a few months.

Ceejay17
(Member)
Hi chris_m,

I totally empathise with you - my folks passed on some years ago and circumstances have contrived such that it looks as if I will be on my own this Christmas. Rather than spend the time watching yet another repeat of the Morecambe & Wise Christmas show from 30 years ago with just a box of choccies for company I decided to take a chance on Christmas in Stratford Upon Avon. This is my first break with Just You so we could be a couple of newbies together!

Judging by the other posts, people are very complimentary about the experiences they have had with JY but most of the comments seem to be about holidays abroad. I would be interested to know a bit more about the Christmas/New Year breaks - how many people will be there? I'm guessing there will be more than the two of us (otherwise there could be an awful lot of turkey and sprouts to get through!). Is there a'formal' i.e. Black Tie dinner or is it just smart casual? Any tips from more experienced travellers greatfully received.

Looking forward to Christmas and meeting up with fellow guests in Stratford.

stu151
  • (Member)
(Member)

Certainly from my experience, dress is very much "casual" or "smart casual" on all the JY holidays, including Christmas ones

For Christmas dinner, most people do dress up slightly more, but it's still not formal in any way, for example most men would not be wearing a tie, although a lot of ladies do like to dress up a little bit of course !

As to numbers, if you post on the "Ask the editor" section, Ben will tell you numbers, age range, male/female ratio etc.. Someone he does respond to other posts, but there are a lot of posts to look at, and he is a busy guy !

Hope you both enjoy Stratford.

Stuart

chris_m
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hey! It's cool to know that I won't be the only newbie there. I kind of assumed casual/smart casual, at least I hope so, since it is about 20 years since I tried to wear a tux.

It is clear that these holidays are fairly popular. Originally, I had my eye on Xmas in Oxford, but I procrastinated too long, and the holiday was no longer on the site, presumably full. Then I considered Edinburgh, a city I quite like, but I ummed and ahh'd about whether I would drive or take the train, and guess what, that sold out too.

However, that doesn't mean Stratford Up Avon is a poor mans choice. I reckon it will be an excellent place to visit at Christmas, and am looking forward to the trip.

Ceejay17
(Member)
'stu151' wrote:

Certainly from my experience, dress is very much "casual" or "smart casual" on all the JY holidays, including Christmas ones

For Christmas dinner, most people do dress up slightly more, but it's still not formal in any way, for example most men would not be wearing a tie, although a lot of ladies do like to dress up a little bit of course !

As to numbers, if you post on the "Ask the editor" section, Ben will tell you numbers, age range, male/female ratio etc.. Someone he does respond to other posts, but there are a lot of posts to look at, and he is a busy guy !

Hope you both enjoy Stratford.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the response. It's as I hoped, not too formal - probably safe to leave the DJ at home then. Perhaps I'll post a question on the "Ask the Editor" section closer to December to get a feel for the size and make up of the group. On the other hand, I could just wait and see - I'm sure it will be an enjoyable break and I'm quite looking forward to it.