Belinda Ousbey
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am going to Andalucia on May 31st. Is anybody else leaving from Stansted? Would also be interested to know what trips are worth going on - undecided about day to Gibraltar. Has anybody been before? Was thinking of finding my own way to Malaga by bus one day - is this possible?
Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
I did this holiday in 2010 and actually thought the Gibralter was the best one although others disagreed and thought Alhambra Palace but that didn't do it for me.

Some of out group took the bus to Malaga although not me so can't comment.

The included excurrsions are all good.

Peter Jersey
(Member)
Hello Belinda

I went on this holiday in February and you can rest assured that you have picked a cracking holiday. The hotel is excellent and staff were very attentive.

The Alhambra is an absolute must excursion but you have to book a few weeks before you travel as there are restrictions on how many people are allowed in every hour. I would also suggest that you do Gibraltar as I found this a most enjoyable trip. All of the other excursions were included in the cost of the holiday.

Some of our group went to Malaga by themselves. They caught the local bus to Fuengirola, which stops at your hotel, and is a frequent service, and then continued to Malaga by train.

When I went, people were arriving from several airports, but JY did not keep you waiting around the airport for hours until everyone was accounted for. The transfer coach operated a shuttle service to the hotel.

Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy your holiday.

Peter

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have been on this trip. Andalucia is really beautiful and you will have a great time. Mijas is lovely. I did both optional trips - Alhambra Palace and Gibraltar. My thinking is you never know if and when you will get another chance hence I try and do as much sightseeing as possible. I did not use the local buses, but have heard that it is quite easy to use the buses and travel to Malaga. Have a great time.

Jaya

theologian
(Member)
I went on the same holiday last year in September/October.

If you are into architectural culture then the optional trip to Granada/the Alhambra is a must. You probably need to book this before going as tickets for the Alhambra can be very difficult to obtain. You may be able to book just to go to Granada once you're in Andalucia.

Everything about Gibraltar is more British than Britain, except the people. The trip there last year included a visit to some caves and some interesting (near) encounters with the local Barbary apes. If you go you need to take your passport. It's better to use sterling (rather than euros) there. That goes for coins as well as notes. Watch out for Gibraltar coins in your change - most places will swap them for UK coins if they're in the change they gave you.

The best trip for me was the one to Ronda - the gorge through the town has to be seen to be believed. Take something like a jumper to wrap up in when you go there. It's so high up it can be considerably cooler than in Mijas.

There was a direct bus from Mijas to Malaga, but the tour manager said that we would probably get there quicker by changing buses in Fuengirola.

Phil.

Belinda Ousbey
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for your advice - I am looking forward to the holiday.
'Peter wrote:

Hello Belinda

I went on this holiday in February and you can rest assured that you have picked a cracking holiday. The hotel is excellent and staff were very attentive.

The Alhambra is an absolute must excursion but you have to book a few weeks before you travel as there are restrictions on how many people are allowed in every hour. I would also suggest that you do Gibraltar as I found this a most enjoyable trip. All of the other excursions were included in the cost of the holiday.

Some of our group went to Malaga by themselves. They caught the local bus to Fuengirola, which stops at your hotel, and is a frequent service, and then continued to Malaga by train.

When I went, people were arriving from several airports, but JY did not keep you waiting around the airport for hours until everyone was accounted for. The transfer coach operated a shuttle service to the hotel.

Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy your holiday.

Peter

Belinda Ousbey
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for all your advice - much appreciated!
'theologian' wrote:

I went on the same holiday last year in September/October.

If you are into architectural culture then the optional trip to Granada/the Alhambra is a must. You probably need to book this before going as tickets for the Alhambra can be very difficult to obtain. You may be able to book just to go to Granada once you're in Andalucia.

Everything about Gibraltar is more British than Britain, except the people. The trip there last year included a visit to some caves and some interesting (near) encounters with the local Barbary apes. If you go you need to take your passport. It's better to use sterling (rather than euros) there. That goes for coins as well as notes. Watch out for Gibraltar coins in your change - most places will swap them for UK coins if they're in the change they gave you.

The best trip for me was the one to Ronda - the gorge through the town has to be seen to be believed. Take something like a jumper to wrap up in when you go there. It's so high up it can be considerably cooler than in Mijas.

There was a direct bus from Mijas to Malaga, but the tour manager said that we would probably get there quicker by changing buses in Fuengirola.

Phil.