Sheri_A
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the JY community and I'm wondering if anyone is going/ has been on the 16-day canyons and national parks holiday to the US. Any feedback and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sheri

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sheri,

I did this trip last September. I notice that this year the trip is the reverse to what we did. We started in Rapid City and ended in Las Vegas.

The scenery on this trip is fantastic. I especially liked Bryce canyon, the colours were amazing.Yellowstone was marvellous, the only disappointment was not seeing a bear but we saw deer, elk, moose and lots of bison. The mud volcanoes and geysers were interesting too.

The trip itself is quite hectic with a few early starts and a couple of long days but overall it was a memorable holiday. We had a great bunch of people and everyone really enjoyed it.

As I recall, we didn't have any, or hardly any, rain at all and the temperature from the start was in the 70s and it increased as time went by. When we reached Las Vegas it was very hot around the mid to high 90s.

Depending upon the time of year you are going, you probably won't need any heavy clothing but as you head northwards you will find it getting a little cooler in the evenings so you might need a sweater or light jacket.

Regds

Jim

Sheri_A
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. I imagine that none of the pictures I've seen of this area will do any of it justice in real life!!

Thanks also for the heads up about the weather - really helpful.

Best wishes,

Sheri

mikethesaint
(Member)
Hi Sheri,

I'm booked on this trip leaving 6th September. It will be my 2nd JY holiday after going to South Africa last year.

I am really looking forward to it especially after reading all the great reviews on this forum especially from Jim.

Last year for me it was Victoria Falls, this year the Grand Canyon, what could be better!!!!

Take the plunge and get booking only don't leave it too late. When I booked just over a week ago there were only 12 places left out of 40.

Mike

BOTTI
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, I have booked to go on this trip in June, a first time JY holiday for me and looking forward to it but not the flight there....having to get to Heathrow for 6 am is a nightmare and 2 flights before the holiday starts. But it will be WORTH IT! Hope there aren't too many early starts! Did anyone go on the organised excursions? Don't know whether to book them all as I may not pass this way again and need to make the most of it! Advice would be greatly appreciated as to what excursions are good?
martini2429
(Member)
Hi,

I did this trip about 3 years ago and all I can say you will have a fantastic time, most days are early starts, from when I went there are now only 2 optional tours and you should do both of them, if you have never done the Grand Canyon then you should, its an experience never to be missed.

Have a great time.

regards,

martin

John Hunt
(Member)
I went on the holiday two years ago, again it was in the other direction (finishing in Las Vegas).

The trips on that holiday were well worth the money, and when I am on an early start - I've been on a few JY holidays - I always book into an airport hotel. The stress involved in getting to the airport on time is much lower, and can be spread over the day before.