patricebry
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has been on the above cruise following the China holiday. Very little information is given out in the brochure. How long does it take to travel from Beijing to the boat? It seems quite a long way although part of the journey is by air. I'd appreciate any infoplease.

Regards, Pat

Peter Jersey
(Member)
Hello Patricebry.

As you already know I am doing this holiday the week before you go. Bad timing on my part I know. I have received a letter from JY giving details of the cruise and what to expect on the boat. I would have thought that you had received the same information. As I understand it we fly to the town/city where we board the boat..

Best wishes

Peter

Peter Jersey
(Member)
Hello Pat

Going through my paperwork again I can give a bit more information but these timings are not cast in stone. Fly from Beijing at 0730 to Wuhan arriving at 0945. The cruise starts in Wuhan, so if you allowed one and a quarter hours to transfer from the airport to boat that would mean 4 hours travelling.

On the boat you cannot use electrical apaptors in the cabins. You have to get them charged at the Reception Desk so it would probably be wise to try and make sure that you have got everything fully charged like phones and cameras before you leave Beijing. Hoping that this helps in your planning.

Best wishes

Peter

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
I did this trip in May 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes there is a lot of travelling including the journey from Beijing to Yichang where you board the boat to travel up the Yangtze. But it is worth it!! It is an early morning start from Beijing and flight is about 2.5 hours from memory. There is a bus journey of several hours but we stopped at a couple of places which broke it up. The trip up the Yangtze was much more leasurely and the scenery was breathtaking. The boat was very comfortable including the impromptu "show". It really is a brilliant trip and really worthwhile and enjoyable. Just go with the flow. John
Peter Jersey
(Member)
Hi Pat

Looking at the website the cruise starts at Yichang which is nowhere near Wuhan. JWB has sent you a message to say that the coach transfer takes several hours from Wuhan to Yichang. According to the Yichang web site the train journey from Wuhan to Yichang takes over 5 hours so how long it would take a coach is anybodys guess. My guess would be 7and a half hours, but it depends on the state of the roads. What amazes me is that there is an airport at Yichang but JY do not use it. Maybe there are no flight timings that connect with the ship.

I know one thing, all the travelling will not spoil the holiday, just add to the Chinese Experience.

Best wishes

Peter

patricebry
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. I phoned JY last Saturday firstly, to try to change my booking to 12the Sept!! and also to ask for details on the cruise. It sounded so complicated that I decided to leave things as they are although I was told that there are two people of a similar age to me going on the 19th, so I'm happy with that.

Thankyou again for the info - it does sound like a long journey to the boat!

Regards, Pat

Peter Jersey
(Member)
Hello Pat

Sorry you couldn't change your date to the 12th!! Now I am thinking that I may be the odd one out amongst a group of 30 somethings. I booked the cruise because there have been several posts about the tour being so fast paced that you really need a slowing down at the end.

I wish you well and you never know, we may cross paths on a future tour.

All the best

Peter :thumbup::thumbup: