Gillian2011
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi has anyone any experience of this holiday? Were there any creepy crawlies in the hotel rooms?

Kindest regards

Gillian

chrisj
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Gillian2011' wrote:

Hi has anyone any experience of this holiday? Were there any creepy crawlies in the hotel rooms?

Kindest regards

Gillian

I have done many Just You holidays and the South Africa trip is still at the top of the list of the countries I have visited. I cannot tell a lie and say you will never see anything around but everything will be fine and you are in Africa and the experience is wonderful. All hotels are really good and grounds beautiful. You stay in different types of accommodation and all are good. Don't worry - just enjoy. Chris

Gillian2011
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I am going on the South African Explorer on the 26th October, so not long now. I'm really excited but a little nervous too, it's my first solo trip. So far I haven't been able to contact anyone going on this holiday. I could be going alone! I'm DETERMINED not to let my fear of spiders spoil things for me and hope I will find someone to help me dispose of anything I find in my room [if necessary]. I'm sure all will be well.

Any other tips would be very welcome.

Kindest regards

Gillian

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gillian,

I did the South Africa trip in March. The rooms in the hotels were generally clear of any creepy crrawlies.The safari lodges generally have thatched roofs and you do get the odd insect. You may get geckos in the rooms too but they are harmeless. I did find a frog in my room but the lodge staff soon got rid of it. Most the the rooms have air-conditioning so you don't need to leave windows open.

The trip is fantastic and if you can afford it I would suggest doing the Victoria Falls add-on. Flying over the falls in a micro-light was an experience I will never forget.

Regds

Jim

Gillian2011
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Geckos and frogs I can manage it's only spiders that worry me [I hate that they bother me but they do]. A friend suggested a pop up mosquito net to keep all sorts of insects away but I'm not sure I want to go that far. But just in case, were most beds double or single? I won't let it stop me or spoil the holiday.

It sounds like you had a great time, I'm really looking forward to going.

Kindest regards

Gillian

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gillian,

The only spiders I saw on the trip were out in the bush. Our driver stopped and pointed them out.

As I recall most of the time it was double beds. One of the ladies on our trip did find some bugs in her bed in one of the safarai lodges so it's a good idea to pull back the covers and have a look before getting into bed. I think most of the bites I got were when I was outside.

You will thoroughly enjoy the trip. Everyone in my group had a brilliant time. I will definitely be going back there again in the future.

Regds

Jim

HelenJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi there,

I went on this holiday in Feb 2009, it was stunning, loved every minute. Didn't see any bugs or spiders.

the rest of the crowd on the tour were very friendly & we lall had tons of fun & wonderful experiences.

Cape Town is a dream - could live there.

Helenj

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Gillian2011' wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Geckos and frogs I can manage it's only spiders that worry me [I hate that they bother me but they do]. A friend suggested a pop up mosquito net to keep all sorts of insects away but I'm not sure I want to go that far. But just in case, were most beds double or single? I won't let it stop me or spoil the holiday.

It sounds like you had a great time, I'm really looking forward to going.

Kindest regards

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

I did this trip in February and had a fantastic time. I don't remember any spiders at all! I think most beds were double. In terms of insect repellent etc., I would suggest also getting some Craghopper Nosilife shirts/trousers which have insect repellent in them

and I've worn them both in S.A and Kenya - they also wash & dry overnight.

Have a brilliant time.

Gillian2011
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Very many thanks to Jim, Helen and Hils for your encouragement, reassurance and advice. I am looking forward to the holiday even more now. If my fellow travelers are as lovely as the people that have been in contact via the forum I will be great!

Thanks again, keep in touch,

Kindest regards

Gillian

annetteb
(Member)
'Gillian2011' wrote:

Kindest regards

Gillian

Hi Gillian, I went on this trip last year and had a fantastic time. I took a plug in repellent with me from Boots. There weren't many creepy crawlies but this plug in got rid of anything that was around. Don't worry you'll have a brilliant time.

Reta
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Gillian2011' wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I am going on the South African Explorer on the 26th October, so not long now. I'm really excited but a little nervous too, it's my first solo trip. So far I haven't been able to contact anyone going on this holiday. I could be going alone! I'm DETERMINED not to let my fear of spiders spoil things for me and hope I will find someone to help me dispose of anything I find in my room [if necessary]. I'm sure all will be well.

Kindest regards

Gillian

Reta
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Gillian2011' wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Kindest regards

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

You are not alone! I am also going on the SA and Victoria Falls trip on the 26th Oct. This will be my 4th Just You holiday.

Reta

CarolJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gillian, have you considered hypnotherapy to help with your spider phobia? It worked for me. I can't say that I love them but I'm certainly not terrified anymore and don't need to get them out of the house. One session should be enough. I'm also going to SA in October but leaving on the 15th. Its my first holiday alone so I'm more nervous about that than the spiders! Have a great holiday - I'm counting down the days.
Jools
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gillian

I have been to South Africa many times, although not with JY and have never had any problems with spiders or any other type of creepy crawlies. I agree that your best bet is to take a plug in repellent so you feel happier.

have fun!

Jools

Gillian2011
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Reta, I'm really pleased to hear from you, so there are at least two us then. I'll be setting out from Lincolnshire, where will you be setting out from? The time is going quickly now, just 6 weeks to go. I'm excited and a bit nervous. I've been wondering about long v short sleeves etc?

Hope to hear from you

Regards

Gillian

quote='Reta' pid='97411' dateline='1315393976']

'Gillian2011' wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Kindest regards

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

You are not alone! I am also going on the SA and Victoria Falls trip on the 26th Oct. This will be my 4th Just You holiday.

Reta

Reta
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gillian,

I will be travelling to Heathrow from N. Ireland. I always like to leave plently of time between connecting flights just in case there are any hold ups so if all goes well I will be in Heathrow shortly after lunchtime.

I was in South Africa 2 years ago with friends. We were there around the same time of year and the weather for most of the time was warm and sunny. The locals kept insisting it never rains in SA in November but believe me it did. For 22hours solid on one occasion!! It could be cool early morning and in the evenings but we did not go as far north where it is obviously warmer. We had very heavy rain on one of our game drives and when you start the game drive early morning it is quite cold. I hope this is of some help and look forward to meeting you on the 26th.

Reta

Gillian2011
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Reta,

Thanks for the really good information, Ben has been helpful and passed me your email address and I hope you now have mine. I look forward to hearing from you and meeting you on the 26th October.

Kindest regards

Gilian

brenliz
(Member)
'Gillian2011' wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Kindest regards

Gillian