nicp
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi to anyone travelling to Vietnam on 20 April - just 3 weeks from now !! I know there are at least 30 on the trip and I'm now very excited! If anyone wants to say hello before we travel, share tips, packing ideas etc, please get in touch, would love to hear from you!

This will be my 4th JY trip - I did Thailand a couple of years ago and loved it. Vietnam is the furthest away I've been though - been doing lots of reading and research.

:thumbup:Nicola

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Nicola, I really want to visit Thailand with JY and would love to hear what u thought of it and also want to visit Vietnam so please let me know how ur hol goes. Hope u have a wonderful time! I've had 2 JY trips and one more booked so would really like to hear of ur JY experiences! Besta luck!
kevramius
(Member)
Hi Nicola...... Thought I'd respond to your latest message...... and say thankyou for keeping me informed, as I didn't have the foggiest notion as to how many persons were likely to be on the trip. I've had all the necessary jabs, but there was a query as to whether we would be in a malaria risk zone, as the travel nurse's map suggested the coastal fringe was low or no risk........What are your thoughts on this?..........On a seperate matter...... I was informed by someone who had previously visited Vietnam/ Cambodia and Laos that although the weight restriction into Vietnam was 23kgs ......... that on internal flights ift was slightly lower..........Should this be the case, then it seems the problem with the carriage of my dirty washing will have been resolved !!! Feel free to pass on any other tips you might have ............. Tootlepip....... Kev
kevramius
(Member)
Hi Nicola........... Thought I'd respond to your message............and thankyou for keeping me informed, as I didn't have the foggiest notion of how many persons were likely to be on the trup.

Feel free to pass on any tips you might have Kev .........

nicp
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi BGray. The Thailand trip with JY was fantastic and I'd highly recommend it. You get to see so much of that wonderful country in 2 weeks - bangkok, the beach, the jungle & elephants, the far north. Food is fantastic - they don't use chopsticks! (seen your post about that!!) the people are lovely, the standard of hotels used by JY is outstanding. I loved Thailand so much after doing the JY in Feb 2009 I went again last November! The humidity is much lower in february so a more comfortable time to visit Thailand. I'll post a review of vietnam when I'm back in a few weeks time.

Nicola.

nicp
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Kev,

Nice to hear from you again. I got the same info re malaria from my GP's travel nurse - they generally use the same malaria map from the fitfortravel website (a great website for other travel health info). The view is that the risk of malaria is low to nil on coastal areas so tablets not necessary. I'll be taking 'bite avoidance measures' with a tropical strength insect repellant (50% deet) because there is dengue in the country. Feedback from someone on this forum is that we may need immodium....on that note, I'm looking foward to the food and have just been watching the Vietnam episode of Rick Stein Asian food series!!

I hadn't given much thought to to airline baggage allowance - I tend to travel light to allow space for bringing back shopping!!!!

Regards, Nicola.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Nicola,

thanks a mill for your comments, v encouraging! Wil def do the Thailand trip and looking forward to reading your comments on Vietnam, have a great trip!!

JMCC
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Nicola

I went to Cambodia and Vietnam last year and liked it so much that I am also going back to Vietnam on 20th April (the itinerary is slightly less hectic, and we are staying longer in places that I want to revisit).

My Vietnam tips are :-

Money – US Dollars are accepted everywhere that you go. Try to get small denomination US dollars, especially $1 bills. Prices there are generally shown in Vietnamese Dong and US dollars. The Dong price is usually slightly lower than the Dollar price (they round-up the Dollar price) but if you buy something priced as $3 (say) with a $5 note you will probably get change in Dong. This way you naturally collect Dong which can be spent during your holiday or used up at the end of your holiday as tips.

Hoi An – this town oozes with silk/material shops which will make bespoke clothes (tops, blouses, entire suits) with something like a 24 hour turn-around – guys, yes they do men's shirts etc as well. If this is something that interests you, get yourself measured up there, or bring a favourite top (or whatever) and get it reproduced. Prepare to haggle, but this is a chance to buy something special to remember your holiday by.

I've posted a similar reply to Phil on the "ask you editor" community page in case you think you'r having double vision;)

I look forward to meeting you (only a week to go !!)

Kind regards

Joyce

nicp
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Joyce,

Lovely to hear from you, particularly that you are returning to Vietnam for a second time because you loved it so much fist time around. That inspires me with confidence!! I'm glad you say that you feel this itinerary is slightly more relaxed than doing Cambodia as well - I looked at various companies doing the 2 countries in 2 weeks and felt it was just too much so I chose to do just Vietnam with JY.

I look forward to meeting you next week in airport lounge! And I know we will have an amazing trip!

Nicola

Michele Brophy
(Member)
'JMCC' wrote:

Hi Nicola

I went to Cambodia and Vietnam last year and liked it so much that I am also going back to Vietnam on 20th April (the itinerary is slightly less hectic, and we are staying longer in places that I want to revisit).

My Vietnam tips are :-

Money – US Dollars are accepted everywhere that you go. Try to get small denomination US dollars, especially $1 bills. Prices there are generally shown in Vietnamese Dong and US dollars. The Dong price is usually slightly lower than the Dollar price (they round-up the Dollar price) but if you buy something priced as $3 (say) with a $5 note you will probably get change in Dong. This way you naturally collect Dong which can be spent during your holiday or used up at the end of your holiday as tips.

Hoi An – this town oozes with silk/material shops which will make bespoke clothes (tops, blouses, entire suits) with something like a 24 hour turn-around – guys, yes they do men's shirts etc as well. If this is something that interests you, get yourself measured up there, or bring a favourite top (or whatever) and get it reproduced. Prepare to haggle, but this is a chance to buy something special to remember your holiday by.

I've posted a similar reply to Phil on the "ask you editor" community page in case you think you'r having double vision;)

I look forward to meeting you (only a week to go !!)

Kind regards

Joyce

Michele Brophy
(Member)
'nicp' wrote:

Hi Joyce,

Lovely to hear from you, particularly that you are returning to Vietnam for a second time because you loved it so much fist time around. That inspires me with confidence!! I'm glad you say that you feel this itinerary is slightly more relaxed than doing Cambodia as well - I looked at various companies doing the 2 countries in 2 weeks and felt it was just too much so I chose to do just Vietnam with JY.

I look forward to meeting you next week in airport lounge! And I know we will have an amazing trip!

Nicola

Michele Brophy
(Member)
Hi Nicola and Joyce

I am also o the Veitnam trip and I am reeal looking forward to it. I have been advised that there is no need to take malaria tablets as the coastal region is safe. I am aware we need a over night bag on the junk boat.....dont know what happens to our suitcases that night!!!!!

I have been told this week that 29 are booked on the trip and there are equal male female age range 44 - 71 years old!

Look forward to meeting you both.

Michele