lizabc
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vina, and all the others who hoped for a wonderful time in Egypt.

I'm so fedup as I booked this holiday as a 60th birthday treat for myself, and now I feel I'm just hanging on waiting, at the mercy of the Foreign Office, to see what will happen. I saw Vina's question to the Editor about whether they will inform us soon about any cancellation, but there is no reply as yet. I would love to book for somewhere else now and see Egypt at a future date, when it is safe and fully open to tourists, with no signs of destruction.

How does everyone else feel? Best wishes to all.

Liz

vina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Liz

thank you for replying. it is nice to get an email.

i do not expect the editor to respond i he hasn't up to now, which is a shame. as i say another company has a date going in the 3rd week of feb that they have cancelled. it is a pity the JY odo the same. i was told it could be even 24 hours before the flight when we find out!

i too no longer feel like going, it would be too soon after the events going on and i would be going for the sake of it and would feel unsafe, despite being in a group. many of my friends and family have even told me to just cancel and lose the money.

i just feel if jy cancelled, it would give us the option to book an alternative last minute deal with jy, but that would not be an option so close to the date.

i guess as you say, all we can do is wait. things seem to be getting worse than better than sadly.

well maybe we will meet on the 1st Liz and be able to celebrate your birthday with you.

all the best, vina

lizabc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vina. Thank YOU for replying. I see that Olly, the editor, has replied to your post. Hopefully he has passed on our thoughts to the holiday organisers. I'm keeping a check on the Foreign Office website as well. Travel is still not recommended and visas are not being issued at present. Patience is a virtue! Best wishes. Liz

ew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi everybody.

I completely agree with your concerns. I'm booked on to the Petra to the Pyramids tour departing on 26th February, which means that at the time of writing there are another 11 days before any sort of update. Will the tour be cancelled at short notice? Or will it go ahead in the hope that everything will be OK? And if the trouble has not settled down or if it flares up again, what then? Do they cut the trip short? Will it be enjoyable anyway with people on edge about what might happen and with our movements curtailed? It seems that we are in a waiting game to see who blinks first: we get no refunds if we have what the insurance companies call a "disinclination to travel" but cannot make other arrangements until Just You make a decision to cancel.

EW (not a happy bunny)

rosedillon
(Member)
'lizabc' wrote:

I'm so fedup as I booked this holiday as a 60th birthday treat for myself, and now I feel I'm just hanging on waiting, at the mercy of the Foreign Office, to see what will happen. I saw Vina's question to the Editor about whether they will inform us soon about any cancellation, but there is no reply as yet. I would love to book for somewhere else now and see Egypt at a future date, when it is safe and fully open to tourists, with no signs of destruction.

Liz

Hello, Liz - just sent you a blank reply, as I've only just got onto the forum and was being a bit dappy about how to reply! I'm going to Cairo/Nile Cruise on 1 March - to celebrate my retirement at the end of March - and like you will be VERY disappointed if it's cancelled. I've wanted to go to see the pyramids and the Nile since I learnt about them in Geography at school (which is a long time to have waited!). I thought I should go in style whilst I still have a salary - but maybe it's not to be. I was very cool about the possibility of it being cancelled until yesterday, but now I feel very agitated about not knowing one way or the other. The fact that the tickets haven't arrived is presumably erring on the side of caution at this stage, but I feel a need to plan getting to the airport, money etc, before next weekend!

Heyho! Hopefully we'll get there - and it'll be great to meet you!

Rose

lizabc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'rosedillon' wrote:

'lizabc' wrote:

Liz

Hello, Liz - just sent you a blank reply, as I've only just got onto the forum and was being a bit dappy about how to reply! I'm going to Cairo/Nile Cruise on 1 March - to celebrate my retirement at the end of March - and like you will be VERY disappointed if it's cancelled. I've wanted to go to see the pyramids and the Nile since I learnt about them in Geography at school (which is a long time to have waited!). I thought I should go in style whilst I still have a salary - but maybe it's not to be. I was very cool about the possibility of it being cancelled until yesterday, but now I feel very agitated about not knowing one way or the other. The fact that the tickets haven't arrived is presumably erring on the side of caution at this stage, but I feel a need to plan getting to the airport, money etc, before next weekend!

Heyho! Hopefully we'll get there - and it'll be great to meet you!

Rose

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
The Foreign Office has now lifted travel restrictions and - unless this advice changes - all trips to Egypt departing after 23 February will be going ahead as planned. You will receive more information by post soon.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

lizabc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vina, Rose, EW and other travellers to Egypt.

Well it looks as if we're going to make it after all. What a rollercoaster. Here's hoping all will be settled. I'm hoping the Cairo musuem will be open again. I'm not sure what order we do the holiday in, as my invoice says it has been reversed. That's a question for Olly perhaps. I'm flying down to Heathrow from Manchester so hoping (there's a lot of that) there's no problem getting my ticket sorted.

Best wishes to EW. Hope you have a lovely time and enjoy Petra.

Lets all get organised.

Liz

ew
  • (Member)
(Member)
'lizabc' wrote:

Hi Vina, Rose, EW and other travellers to Egypt.

Well it looks as if we're going to make it after all. What a rollercoaster. Here's hoping all will be settled. I'm hoping the Cairo musuem will be open again. I'm not sure what order we do the holiday in, as my invoice says it has been reversed. That's a question for Olly perhaps. I'm flying down to Heathrow from Manchester so hoping (there's a lot of that) there's no problem getting my ticket sorted.

Best wishes to EW. Hope you have a lovely time and enjoy Petra.

Lets all get organised.

Liz

ew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks, Liz.

Hope you have a great hoilday as well ( and all the rest of you.)

EW (a much happier bunny now)