Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Hi Peter

As you have probably found wifi can be a bit hit and miss in SA - sorry for not being able to get back to you before you left! However I can't answer your question but I am sure by now your tour manager has clarified the situation for you.

We are now in Kruger - the second last day for those not going to Zambia. I won't tell you what we saw in the game park! 🙂 Really looking forward to Chobe now.

Hope you are having a wonderful time and that you have managed  to track down some sun...... Apparently the forecast is for snow in Jo'burg tomorrow!  :s

Looking forward to your groups comments in due course.

Hi 1981Kedi

Thanks for the useful information in your post. I must pack another layer if it is chilly.I am with the JY group leaving Heathrow tomorrow evening. Have you been told how to pay for the longer helicopter flight in Zambia . Is card payment possible on this one or do we have to carry GBP or USD for this one.

Peter

Hi Jaya and all of you travelling to South Africa - I have now been here a week and you are in for a treat! We are currently in Knysna and heading for Port Elizabeth tomorrow, Sunday. I was surprised to find the cost of living here means your Rand goes further than you think! I have found it useful to keep some 10 Rand notes handy for tipping, for room maids etc. It's quite chilly today - usual rule of layers applies - especially on the water. Also use sun creme freely even if it looks overcast - the sun is strong. We have been reminded to drink plenty - of water! and that we should use a sun hat. Sun glasses for the sun and if it's windy!  :cool:  Cape Town especially can be very windy!

Our TS programme is slightly different to yours but each day has had highlights - Table Mountain in glorious sunshine, penguins, I went to Robben Island on a free afternoon - I thought it worth the trip, some others did the afternoon tea at Mount Nelson and thoroughly enjoyed it, lovely gardens, wine tasting (in our case with chocolate!), whale watching - as we are the whale watching trip we had a night at  Hermanus - but you can see whales at different points along the coast, ostriches, caves and a steep tractor/trailer ride today in Featherbed Nature Reserve. Looking forward to Kruger. Some of the scenery en route has been amazing. It is of course spring time here so the wild flowers and gardens are getting underway - by the time you arrive everywhere should be in bloom!

Hotels have been OK - tea/coffee making and hair dryers! There is a supermarket a very short walk from the Cape Town hotel. If you are staying at the Protea Hotel Knysna Quays it is right on the harbour with lots of varied shops and eateries all around (as well as some lovely sailing boats and catamarans). Wifi has been available and free but not always very cooperative - it's good here in Knysna! You do need a South African adaptor (or a multi world wide) - I bought one reasonably at Heathrow - here in Knysna there is a UK style point but you can't rely on that elsewhere.

As anticipated for those carrying on to Zambia three nights is not enough! We have had to choose what to do in the time we have - Chobe is a whole day. We have an included Zambezi cruise and an included guided tour of the falls. I have opted for the longer helicopter flight (having bravely taken off I want to get the most out of it before landing!) and the Livingstone Express. Your tour manager will be able to clarify how you can fit in all you want to do!

Have a good flight and just enjoy the wonderful experience to come!   🙂

'Anjiii' wrote:

Hi all

This is my first experience with JY and I am booked on the SA trip in September.  It's also a while since I holidayed alone so looking forward to meeting my co travellers.

Hi Anjiii

This is also my first holiday with JY, not long to go now!  Look forward to meeting you soon.

Lisa

Hi Anjiii

Looking forward to meeting you. You are going to have a fantastic time!

Jaya

Hi all

This is my first experience with JY and I am booked on the SA trip in September.  It's also a while since I holidayed alone so looking forward to meeting my co travellers.

Thanks Monty. Will pre-book any excursions we can so do not have to carry lots of cash. Will bear in mind that we need $80 for the Visa as we are going to Botswana. I can't wait for this trip - am so excited.

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

You can pay for the excursions in Zambia in US Dollars or Sterling - so whatever is easiest for you. In regards to the Yellow Fever jab - you are correct. South Africa, Zambia and Botswana now no longer require a yellow fever vaccination/certificate. However, we do always ask our customers to consult their GP for further advice as we are by no means medical experts.

Also, I have has some information regarding the visa. So you will need a double-entry visa when visiting Chobe, which will cost US$80. Again, you will have to pay in cash when you arrive at the airport.

You can also pre-book your optional excursions if you would like. If you want any information on the optional excursions please let me know.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Hi Monty

I would be grateful if you are able to find out whether or not we need US$ to pay for the optional excursions in Zambia or can we use Sterling. I want to make sure I take the correct currency.

Also, the holiday brochure mentions the requirement about Yellow Fever jab for Zambia, but this is no longer a requirement as Zambia was classed as a safe country by WHO last year. Just You need to bear this in mind when they publish the next issue. I personally can't have any live jabs following my stem cell transplant so was going to get an exemption letter from my consultant plus the jab is not recommended for people over 60 so that too would exempt me in September!

Jaya

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the community!

Apologies for not getting back to you. I am just waiting on our overseas team to get some information for you regarding the optional excursions. Usually you can pre-book certain excursions if you give our holiday advisors a call, but I would like to be sure whether any need to be paid for whilst you are there.

You will need a Zambian visa when visiting the Victoria Falls. It will be issued on your arrival and there will be no forms to complete but a fee of US$50 per person to pay in cash.

Kindest regards,

Monty