Uzbekistan - money
I am going to Uzbekistan on 6th September - 4th time lucky, hopefully - and wondering about the best way to take money for the trip  and how to exchange it. I read that there are not many ATM's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Hi Celia JG,
This is what the GOV.UK website recommends regarding money in Uzbekistan…

‘US dollars are the most widely accepted foreign currency. Credit cards are not widely accepted outside of the main tourist areas of Tashkent, Samarkand & Bukhara.’
I believe you can exchange your US dollars for local currency at official exchange booths.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mike
(01/08/2022, 06:54 PM)Celia JG Wrote: I am going to Uzbekistan on 6th September - 4th time lucky, hopefully - and wondering about the best way to take money for the trip  and how to exchange it. I read that there are not many ATM's

I went a few years ago and and the locals preferred American dollars so it is best to take a supply of dollars. I only saw one ATM which was in Tashkent. The tour manager arranged for us to change our cash for the local currency as you can't exchange it outside Uzbekistan.
I loved the trip and the Uzbeks were very friendly as they see few foreign tourists. A few of them wanted to practise their English with us and a few wanted photographs taken with us.
Hope you enjoy the trip
(05/08/2022, 03:03 PM)mikew Wrote: Hi Celia JG,
This is what the GOV.UK website recommends regarding money in Uzbekistan…

‘US dollars are the most widely accepted foreign currency. Credit cards are not widely accepted outside of the main tourist areas of Tashkent, Samarkand & Bukhara.’
I believe you can exchange your US dollars for local currency at official exchange booths.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mike

Thank you, I already saw that, but I wondered if anyone had personal experience. I don't want to buy dollars if sterling is acceptable.