How is everyone?
Hello everyone,

It's understandably very quiet on here and I wondered how everyone it. I know many of us are missing our holidays but I live in hope of better things to come.

How are you all getting on? I'm OK, I have moments of loneliness and boredom as well as wondering if this will ever end, but I find that the good weather helps a lot. I hope all fellow travellers (or would-be travellers) and JY staff are well, it must be hard for you to have to keep cancelling holidays rather than taking bookings from excited travellers.

Does anyone have anything booked for next year? At the moment I have South Africa in February and the French and Italian Riviera in May, I'd like to think they will both go ahead but I admit I do have my doubts about the S.Africa one, but I can only wait and see.

Fingers crossed for travelling again in 2021, stay safe and well all.
Rose
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Hi Rose

Like you have been a bit up and down. Lockdown was hard as I live in a flat without a garden. It was great when things relaxed and I was able to have socially distanced meetings with family and friends.
A trip to Lake Como in June had to be postponed until next year. A friend and I have a holiday to Cuba booked for November with Travelsphere but we are not sure if this will go ahead. We would be travelling from Edinburgh to Paris on the way out and coming back via Amsterdam! Not prepared to risk quarantine. Hopefully we can  postpone until next year.   
Fingers crossed that we do not go back into lockdown.

Take care

Lesley
Hi Rose.

Very pleased to hear you’re well, if a little bored !
Fortunately for me I’m a bit of a sports nut, so the resumption of Formula 1 (yes I know it’s tedious and predictable at the moment, but you never know), World snooker, horse racing etc.. has been a very welcome distraction. Football has left me cold since it’s return though.

I have 2 future bookings, Australia in Feb and Uganda in June. Like you I have serious doubts about Feb.
Questionable vaccine delivery, 3 very serious Family health issues (non Covid, but worse) and a possible pacemaker replacement could all scupper my planned travel arrangements, so I find it hard to get my hopes up too much. Mind you I’ve always had a ‘glass half empty’ mindset ! :-)

I’m sure I speak for many when I say this sorry state has taught me one lesson and that is to get out and enjoy things while and when you can. As Covid proved you just don’t know what’s round the corner, so go for it while you’re fit and able.
Here endeth the lesson .. :-)

Take care one and all.

Roger
Hi Rose1999,
In answer to your question (thanks for asking BTW) I’m keeping well and, like you, am missing my holidays. I did have a holiday to India booked with another company in March which obviously got cancelled but I got a refund after a bit of a fight.

I’ve nothing else booked for the remainder of this year or for next year as I’m waiting for things to settle down a bit before taking the plunge. I’ve plenty of countries to visit on my ‘bucket list’ so having no travel plans in place is very disappointing. However, I was lucky enough to go gorilla trekking in Uganda back in January (seems ages ago now) so at least I’ve been away this year, unlike so many people who have been left disappointed by the inevitable cancellation of their holidays.

I hope your holidays to South Africa and the French/Italian Riviera go ahead. I went to South Africa back in 2012; it was a fabulous holiday - my first ever time with JY - and I’ve been lucky enough to travel far and wide with them many times since then.

Let’s all hope for a brighter future and in the meantime, stay safe.

All the best
Mike
Hi Rose, How nice of you to ask! Thanks so much. For myself, I would have been away twice by now, but everything was cancelled, so all I've got on the cards is Christmas in Brighton (with JY). A few weeks ago, I was about to book the Costa De La Luz trip to Spain, but then the quarantine law came in, so that didn't happen. Previously, I'd booked the Douro River Cruise in July, but that couldn't happen either. I just think about the wonderful TM's who I have come across over the years, some twice, and how they are coping without an income and also JY as a whole, like you do. Most of them have kids, mortgages and daily problems too. I wish them all well. Under the lockdown, I had meant to write a couple of 'best selling novels', (LOl), but I never got around to it and subscribed to Netflix instead! Take care Rose. Mike
(10/08/2020, 01:55 PM)Rose1999 Wrote: Hello everyone,

It's understandably very quiet on here and I wondered how everyone it. I know many of us are missing our holidays but I live in hope of better things to come.

How are you all getting on? I'm OK, I have moments of loneliness and boredom as well as wondering if this will ever end, but I find that the good weather helps a lot. I hope all fellow travellers (or would-be travellers) and JY staff are well, it must be hard for you to have to keep cancelling holidays rather than taking bookings from excited travellers.

Does anyone have anything booked for next year? At the moment I have South Africa in February and the French and Italian Riviera in May, I'd like to think they will both go ahead but I admit I do have my doubts about the S.Africa one, but I can only wait and see.

Fingers crossed for travelling again in 2021, stay safe and well all.
Rose
Hi Rose

I was looking at South Africa for February 2021 to celebrate my 50th birthday.  I didn’t book as I couldn’t decide between South Africa, Costa Rica or Canada. It now looks like I’ll be home alone with not even a wet weekend in Blackpool to look forward to ☹️.

Hopefully your South Africa trip will go ahead, who knows what will happen but the months are flying by.

I really hope Just You bring out some more UK ?? breaks that aren’t walking trips, I would book straight away.

Stay safe

Sarah
Hi Rose,

Glad you, end everyone else who has replied, are well and getting through this terrible pandemic.

Like Lesley I used to live in a flat with no garden so feel for all in that situation. These days I live on the Isle of Wight which was fairly well cut off with many cross Solent routes suspended/restricted for the duration.

During lockdown I have been updating/preparing various illustrated talks I give to photographic etc groups so whilst not travelling I have at least been able to re-live past travels.

I was due to travel to Andalucia last March but suffice to say that was pulled at the 11th hour and I have now put that forward to next March. Flights are due to be with BA from Gatwick but as BA have said they intend to pull out of Gatwick we will wait and see on that one.

Other than that I have 2 South Africa trips for 2021. I was due to do "Sun and Safari" in October but have carried that forward to February 2021 (is this the one you are on Rose?) with "Experience SA" in October 2021.

Fingers crossed we get back to some semblance of normality soon. Interest rates are pathetic so I can't wait to spend some money to help the struggling economies of those places that rely on tourism money.

Stay safe all and hope we can get back to travel before too long.

As a final note a word about the staff at JY. I have spoken to people there at different times when they have cancelled or a trip has been re-arranged. They have been as helpful and nice as ever even when being the bearers of bad newd. Well done people and I hope that you also come out of this safe and sound - and employed!

Ian
Hello and thank you all for your lovely replies, it's kind of you to take the time. I'm pleased to hear that you're all well and coping with all that's being thrown at us.
I feel for all the TMs and JY staff and, of course, all in the travel industry. We've all been disappointed to have our holidays cancelled but, for many of them, it's worries about jobs, health, income etc. I really do wish them all well and hope that it won't be too long before they can all get back to work.
The hoteliers, airport staff, air crew, pubs, shops and restaurants in resorts across the world are also badly affected. I am doing my best to support our local independents as I know our town (Ludlow) relies heavily on tourism but it doesn't make up for all the losses.
Mike A, I too intended to do so much in lockdown - I did manage some of it but I could have done so much more!! I'm still struggling to learn German!!
Roger - I also like to watch F1 and I enjoyed some of the snooker, I agree about the football, it's soulless and I'm afraid cricket bores me to death but it all helps to pass the time.
It must have been awful for you Lesley in a flat with no garden. I'm extremely lucky to live in the countryside with a decent sized garden and lots of places to walk, so I've been able to get out every day, that really has helped a lot.
Mikew gorilla tracking sounds amazing - did you do a review? (I'll have a look) If not, please tell us more.
Since I found JY I've taken at least 3 holidays a year, so this year has been very different, but let's look forward with hope for a better future, this surely can't go on for ever, one day I will get to S.Africa and I will see the Victoria Falls, we will all travel again and I look forward to that day!
Stay safe and well everyone. Best wishes, Rose
Hi Rose,
Regarding my gorilla trekking holiday, I wrote a piece which appears in the section ‘Share your Travel Tips’. I was careful not to write a review of my tour as such because I went with another travel company, having booked up long before JY brought out their excellent looking itinerary.
Anyway, it’s entitled ‘Uganda Thoughts & Memories’ and you’ll find it in page 1 of the travel tips section. If my piece inspires you to consider JY’s Gorillas in the Mist tour, post-coronavirus, I’d be very happy to answer any questions you may have,

Cheers & all the best
Mike
Hi Rose

This is the first time I have been on the forum since lockdown begun back in March 

I too was lucky to get my winter rockies tour in with JY back in January which I truly loved, I was due to go to New Zealand to celebrate a friends 60th with another company in April/May with another company which was cancelled and then pushed on to next year, I also have Canada east to west with JY set for Sept 2021

I live in a ground floor flat and get depressed with all this especially when we couldn't even travel more than 5 miles here in Wales, fortunately I work in a hospital so have worked throughout though I did like many of us there at the time Pick up covid and was off work just under 3 weeks, high temp no taste or smell no appetite for several days sweats shivers it was horrible especially living on ur own no visitors was also tested positive, most of the time I was lying on the sofa with no energy and feeling lowsy

That was April into May coincidentally the exact time span we should have been in NZ

Being a sport person I missed the climax to the football season so was delighted when it resumed in June and getting cricket back too was a bonus for me along with some tennis, I had a couple of concerts called off too well 3 in total rescheduled for next year

Like everyone else who I hope are all well as other parts of the country are much worst off than us so let's prey this virus eventually moves off though a full recovery of our lives mat still be some way off

Take care all

Dave