Amazing Australia - February 2019
Star 
G'day fellow Poms,

I'm looking forward to meeting you all, my Aussie Explorers, next week.
If I don’t see you at check in, I'll meet you in the Aspire lounge at Heathrow – check your paperwork for the directions to it. 

If you put a JY label on your handluggage it’ll be easier to spot your travel companions.

Several of you are flying at different times:
Five of you are doing the pre-tour so we’ll meet in Singapore at the gate for the connecting flight to Perth;

Two of you are on the direct flight from Heathrow to Perth, another two of you are flying from Manchester via Dubai to Perth – the four of you will arrive during the day on Wednesday 27th.

I will be travelling with the others and we should arrive in the early hours of Thursday, so we’ll all meet up later that morning in the Perth hotel.  I will email some info to the hotel for them to pass on to you all when you check in.

Travel tips
I recommend that you don't take too much with you. 

Luggage allowance
Hold/checked cases = 30kg but aim for 23kg.  

Although we can take more, remember that you are likely to buy souvenirs or gifts (even if you don’t think you will), so you need to allow a few spare kgs for extras.  All airlines are now strict about weight.

Top tips
You’ll pack more than you’ll wear – so take less.
You’ll buy more than you expected to. 
Having the full weight allowance before you start means no room for any extras...

** If you can’t lift it, don’t pack it!

Hand-luggage weight - it is reasonable on the flights but Qantas are strict about weight and size. Officially only 1 piece of hand-luggage for Economy (although having a couple of bags is usually okay); for all classes Economy/Prem Econ/Bus/First = 7kg max per bag.

Packing
* Don't attempt to take enough clothes for the 3-4 weeks - just take enough for 7/8 days; every hotel has laundry facilities (self-service washing and tumble drying machines, or hotel service) and you will have time to put the washing on and leave it to dry overnight if you don't want to use the dryers. 

* Every room has an iron & ironing board and a hairdryer (most are decent); as well as a kettle, cups/mugs with sachets of coffee, tea bags, sugar and milk - so no need to bring any of this with you, (fridges are provided in all hotel rooms).  Plus there are plenty of supermarkets!  So you can leave these items at home.  (This applies to New Zealand hotels as well.)
* Please note: Australia and New Zealand have VERY strict quarantine laws re: certain food/edible items that are not allowed to be brought in. 
* Adaptor plug (the one with the 2 flat pins)
* Mossie repellent – you may want to bring some with you, but there are some very good products available in Oz.

* Suncream with High SPF
* Refillable/reusable bottle – you will need one of these on our travels in Australia, if you have one bring it with you (you can take them through Security at the airports as long as they are empty).

Currency
There are plenty of ATMs where you can use your debit cards or pre-loaded cash cards.  (Ensure you advise your bank that you will be away.)
You can pay for many things using your debit/credit cards or cash cards.

Optional excursion payment
If you haven’t pre-booked some/any of the trips I will be able to take payment in cash Sterling £ or AUS $, but also by debit/credit card, via a Just You authorised payment site.

Communication
If you plan to use your mobile phone whilst away, if only for text messages, ensure you check with your provider that your phone is open to make calls from overseas.

Happy packing and don't forget your sunnies, suncream and sense of adventure, it's going to be great. 

Hooroo, Sarah
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Please note lounge name, a change from what I'd thought:
now No 1 Lounge

Same as before, if I don't see you at the check-in area, I'll come along to the lounge to find you.

Happy Packing,
Sarah
Hi Sarah

So you are off to Oz again! Have a lovely time. I still have fond memories of the extended Tour last year and am still regretting backing out of the Scuba Doo! I should not let a slight feeling of sea sickness put me off. I really enjoyed Australia and jump at a chance to go back. You were a wonderful Tour Manager.

Regards

Jaya
Thank you Jaya,
It is a remarkable country.  Maybe you'll visit again, then there'll be the chance to Scuba Do again!
Happy Travelling,
Sarah