Galapagos 2018 - Duffle bags?
(01/06/2018, 01:19 PM)AELB Wrote: Thanks Vickie
So, it looks like the duffle bags are entirely optional then? If so, I think I'll stick to my trusty wheelie case. (More space for the fridge magnets.... Big Grin  ) I was also a bit concerned about the implications of leaving luggage behind in Ecuador, albeit in storage, on my travel insurance cover.

Only 9 months to go now, Sylvia but, as we booked 8 months ago, I think the time will whizz by. Good to hear that you've taken the Chile/Easter Island booking plunge, BTW. I trust you will arm yourself with a copy of JGP's book because I'll be testing you while we are on the flight to Bogota Wink

Happy Friday Everyone!
Mandy
Hi Mandy

I don't think my insurance company will be too happy if I am separated from my suitcase either!

JGP book on order.  I'll have to think of some Ecuador/Galapagos info to test you on!!!!

Sylvia
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I recently spoke to someone from Just You on the phone about this before I found this thread and I'm a little confused.  If I understood correctly, he said that some people may be randomly selected to have their bags inspected on arrival at the islands, and those people would have to unpack their suitcase and transfer the contents into a duffle bag.  They would then be able to repack everything in their suitcase after the inspection.  I'm not sure what the point of that would be - why not just inspect the suitcase?

Is there any problem with taking a suitcase on the boats between the islands when changing hotels?  For instance, do you have to wade through water when getting off the boat?
(03/03/2019, 04:54 PM)Traveller44 Wrote: I recently spoke to someone from Just You on the phone about this before I found this thread and I'm a little confused.  If I understood correctly, he said that some people may be randomly selected to have their bags inspected on arrival at the islands, and those people would have to unpack their suitcase and transfer the contents into a duffle bag.  They would then be able to repack everything in their suitcase after the inspection.  I'm not sure what the point of that would be - why not just inspect the suitcase?

Is there any problem with taking a suitcase on the boats between the islands when changing hotels?  For instance, do you have to wade through water when getting off the boat?

Hi Traveller 44

The advice we are being offered appears to be different depending on who you speak to.  

From researching travel to Galapagos, our suitcases could be searched at Quito and/or Galapagos. Dogs will sniff your luggage for anything that might contaminate the closed ecosystem - ie dairy products, seeds, fruit & veg etc, ants, snails.  (A bit like Australia and New Zealand.)

Are you visiting Galapagos on 11 March as we will be the guinea pigs for this trip?

Sylvia
Hi Sylvia,

I'm not on the March trip, but I'm thinking of booking for October.  I'd be interested to hear the experiences of those going in March once they get back!

I did find this blog.  A lot of this won't be relevant to the Just You trip, but it does give some idea of the Galapagos airport procedure, and from the photos it looks as if suitcases aren't a problem:

http://www.wheretonexttravelblog.com/get...logistics/