Stunning Crete Sept 2017
Hi Bob, Kezzer and Bosuncat,

Thank you for your interesting reviews and comments. I'm pleased you all had such a wonderful time in Crete. If only my 'to visit' list wasn't so long I would be adding this tour to it!

Lesley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thank you Bob for the review and Elaine for your photos on Facebook. Never thought of going to Crete- might have to review my holidays!
Thanks everyone for your comments and to Kerry and Elaine for adding to mine.  The folk evening was great fun, with a very good buffet and unlimited drinks!  I spent about €350 on food and drinks, but you could certainly spend less than this if you wished, as prices are very reasonable.  I will always remember our drives through the mountains on a couple of the days, with amazing far-reaching views of mountains, valleys and the coastline. 

One day we took the semi submersible submarine for a trip around the bay, which was enjoyable although we didn't see a huge number of fish.  On the last morning we had planned to take the glass bottomed boat, but as it was a bit windy and the sea was choppy, we chickened out!  I can't emphasise enough how enjoyable it was to sit at one of the tables outside the hotel, having a coffee or a beer and watching the world go by and all the activity around the harbour.  The group were friendly and sociable.  I nearly forgot, on a couple of occasions, we were lucky enough to see Harry the sea turtle swim right up to the harbour wall - he is a local celebrity!!

All the best,

Bob
I missed Harry.  Although there was a lot of excitement in the harbour when I went down on the last day so he may have been there then.  Smile

I am SO tempted to book the 2nd May departure from Heathrow.  If only there was some guarantee that it WOULD run from Heathrow and not Gatwick, and to Chania.  Amy.  Any idea when this might become a firm flight please? 

Yes.  I want to go back that much.  Big Grin
Good Morning Bosuncat,

Unless BA change our contracted flights from London Heathrow to Chania, this will remain the same.

Kind Regards,
Amy
Hi Bob,

Crete sounds great, thank you for your good review as usual.
The island is now firmly on  a European bucket list for me.

Hi Bosuncat

Pleased to hear that you had such a good time in Crete. 
I will be thinking about going there in May, so could possibly cross paths with you again.

Best wishes
Di
Mainly to Bob.

I read all your comments & reviews with interest. You have such a long "To Travel To " list that I hope you live to about 150!!! Just joking. I am Sooooo glad that you enjoyed Crete....a truly Greek island, though large & therefore what people might not expect. Hania ( & let's get this correct...it is pronounced Han-Ya, with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable, & not Harr-Ni-Ar  as my brother has rendered it to me) is a great spot. You may be interested to know that a few years ago all the local businesses decided to work in cooperation rather than each trying to undercut/overprice the other, so there is not a massive difference, in terms of cost, as to where you eat. But you really got the Greek mood, Bob, of just sitting & watching the world go by you. In Greece it is quite acceptable to sit all day over just a beer or coffee....no-one will hustle you out. Having said that, with the massive unemployment we have here, that is the main form of "entertainment" for many of our youth. But I had to smile about you commenting on the fact that the water is potable. We are actually not, quite, a 3rd world country here & in most parts of Greece the water is perfectly safe to drink......& hasn't passed through about 8 other bodies before it gets to you!! One needs to drink lots of water in our climate. Invariably you'll get a bottle placed on your table, even if you never asked for it. This, in a way, has replaced the cover charge that used to be put on bread. Bottled water prices are controlled in Greece so that, even at an airport, they cannot charge more than 0.50 euro per 500 ml, but expect the taverna price to be about 2 to 2.5 euro per 1.5 litres. As I said, this is almost like a cover charge but feel free to ask just for a jug of iced tap water. On the other hand, let's not get extremely mean. Youth unemployment is running at around 60% or more so your waiter may well have  a Ph.D. but be struggling on a wage of 500-600 euro per month if he is lucky. Therefore I urge you to tip generously if you feel you have had good service... every euro will be gratefully accepted & can make a big difference to the recipient's life. Greetings from Greece. Sheila.
(21/09/2017, 11:27 AM)Moderator2 Wrote: Good Morning Bosuncat,

Unless BA change our contracted flights from London Heathrow to Chania, this will remain the same.

Kind Regards,
Amy

Thanks Amy.
Hi Sheila,

Many thanks for your insightful comments - and yes I was careful to pronounce Chania as Han-ya once this was clarified to us by our wonderful local guide Effie!  We were all delighted with the friendly service we received and I would like to think that we all tipped generously.  Effie didn't offer much commentary on the current economic situation but was happy to talk about it if asked - and I did.  In Ireland we have suffered quite a lot through austerity and the recession but nothing like what has happened to the poor people of Greece.  It says a lot about them that their propensity to be generous and cheerful does not seem to have been affected much by their diminished circumstances.  I would like to do the Athens tour in a few years (if it is still running), but as you say - so many places on the wish list I do hope I will be travelling for a good few years to come!

All the best,

Bob
(21/09/2017, 11:27 AM)Moderator2 Wrote: Good Morning Bosuncat,

Kind Regards,
Amy

Just curious but what's the huge difference between Gatwick & Heathrow? They're not that far apart and travel links between them are ok.
Obviously one or the other may be a bit more convenient to some people but hey, that's travel for you!
Sue