it otherwise I wouldnot have known.
I have never been to China let alone Tibet. Am sure  this
holiday will be a really fascinating adventure
Enjoy roof of the world
Di
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Nice tips Avocet.

I've already booked the Li River Show so I'm glad you've said it is worth doing. I pray the optional tour to the Chengdu Panda Centre does happen - I'm scared others may have been already and don't want to go.

Can't believe I'll be in China this time next week. Just got to get 3 days of work out the way.

Angie
Hi Kedi
One of my JY friend's  Sue  saw that flyer and told me about
it otherwise I wouldnot have known.
I have never been to China let alone Tibet. Am sure  this
holiday will be a really fascinating adventure
Enjoy roof of the world
Di
(09/05/2017, 11:25 PM)Angie S Wrote: Nice tips Avocet.

I've already booked the Li River Show so I'm glad you've said it is worth doing. I pray the optional tour to the Chengdu Panda Centre does happen - I'm scared others may have been already and don't want to go.

Can't believe I'll be in China this time next week. Just got to get 3 days of work out the way.

Angie

Rub it in why don't you Angie! Big Grin  You will love the Li River Show, it is directed by Zhang Yimou, the same guy who directed the opening ceremony at the Beijing Olympics, a spectacular that only the Chinese can produce. Fingers crossed for the pandas, the baby ones get up to all sorts mischief. Have a great time.

Avocet
(09/05/2017, 11:25 PM)Angie S Wrote: Nice tips Avocet.

Angie

Hi Angie,

There are definitely 2 of us (plus you) who have booked the Panda Centre so I'm sure it will go ahead. See you on Sunday, although I'm flying from Glasgow! I've never been to China, Tibet or Hong Kong, although have been to Nepal and lived in Singapore, so all new experiences.

Cheers,
Hils
Hi Avocet,

A couple more questions re Tibet! How strict are the Chinese going through Security on camera batteries (re-chargeable)? I'm a keen photographer and always carry at least 2 more batteries for each camera (I take 2). Also, I've read that they can confiscate Tibet guide books (i.e. Lonely Planet)? I appreciate that you obviously don't take photos of the Dalai Lama with you! Lastly, how strict are they on the weight of your hand luggage - my camera equipment etc. will be in mine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Hils
(09/05/2017, 11:25 PM)Angie S Wrote: I've already booked the Li River Show so I'm glad you've said it is worth doing. I pray the optional tour to the Chengdu Panda Centre does happen - I'm scared others may have been already and don't want to go.

Hi Angie 

As Hils said there will be at least the three of us for the pandas - if for some strange reason the trip doesn't go ahead it is easily doable independently - but I doubt that will be the case. I just hope the arrangements mean we get there really early before the crowds and that we have plenty of time for all the various areas - and the shop! ? 

One tip is that if there is a "huge" crowd round one of the enclosures and you are trying to get a good view or a photo - give it a minute - the Chinese groups in particular tend to snap and go - leaving you alone until the next group catches up. ?

I visited the pandas in 2011 as part of a classic China tour with several days on the Yangtze. It was one of the high spots of a holiday full of highlights. I have since seen pandas in Edinburgh (twice - including last week!) and Atlanta - Google the Atlanta zoo panda web site to whet your appetite! Four of the pandas I saw in Atlanta have since been relocated to Chengdu. ?

I have also booked the Li river show. 

It is all getting a bit close now - better decide what to pack! 

Look forward to meeting you Sunday/Monday!
Hi Avocet

Thanks for all the extra info. I am hoping that we do get to see the "real" Tibet - no pandas there but hopefully yaks!!!!  Smile
Hi Hils 

That was good of you to let me know some like me have already booked the pandas. I feel better!

Will hopefully catch up with you and the others at Schipol ready for the long haul. 

I know the trip is going to be a good one. 

Angie
Previous post ....... and Atlanta - Google the Atlanta zoo panda web site to whet your appetite! Four of the pandas I saw in Atlanta have since been relocated to Chengdu. ?

Of course you could google the Chengdu web cam - spoiler alert! Several web cams but maybe better to wait for the real thing!
http://en.ipanda.com/live/chengdu/03/

Smile