Canada October 2016
Hi I'm on the Polar Bear Experience to Canada October 23 can you tell me who the Tour Manager is and give me an idea of what the temperature will be like & recommend the type of clothing to take.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(09/08/2016, 07:20 PM)Kingysmum Wrote: Hi I'm on the Polar Bear Experience to Canada October 23 can you tell me who the Tour Manager is and give me an idea of what the temperature will be like & recommend the type of clothing to take.

Hi Kingysmum,

The Tour Manager for this group is Patrick Twomey – his is Canadian and a very experienced Tour Manager.

The information below will also appear on your final documents, I hope you find them useful:

Climate and Clothing
Average temperatures in Churchill during October and November can range between freezing, 0 C (32 F) to minus 20 C (-5 F). It may feel much colder due to the wind chill factor. Warm, comfortable clothing is essential, and dressing in layers allows more flexibility. Dress is very informal in Churchill.

Recommended packing items:
  • Winter parka with hood
  • Insulated ski pants
  • Heavy fleece jacket
  • Warm hat, scarf and gloves
  • Thick socks
  • Long underwear
  • Winter boots or insulated, sturdy hikers
  • Small, lightweight knapsack for personal items
  • Refillable water bottle
  • Polarized sunglasses
  • Binoculars

Meals
    As Churchill is a remote, northern community, special meal requests can sometimes be a challenge. Although we do our best to accommodate specific dietary requirements, we cannot guarantee. Should you have particular needs, we recommend bringing a small supply of your own provisions. Please note that the Lazy Bear Lodge and Café do not serve alcohol. There are licensed establishments within walking distance.

Photography
    A zoom lens in the 100 to 400mm range is recommended. To capture action on film, a fast shutter speed would be beneficial. A polarizing filter will help cut down glare and reduce surface reflections from water or snow. Please be sure to bring along an extra supply of batteries, film or memory cards. We recommend placing items in re-sealable plastic bags, and then in a padded camera case.

Filters
    A polarizing filter will help cut down glare and reduce surface reflections from water or snow.  An ultra-violet or skylight filter will protect the front element of lenses from grit and dust.

Protecting Your Equipment
    We recommend placing items such as cameras and binoculars in re-sealable plastic bags, and then in a padded camera bag or case.

Mobile Phones
    Mobile phones do operate in Churchill but with limited service.

Kind regards,

Elisa
Many thanks for info on what to take on Polr Bear Experience.
Do you know what the luggage allowance is on the flights? Is the allowance the same on the Wiinipeg to Churchill stretch of the journey?
Hi Kingsymum,

I have just spoken to the team who have advised that if you stick to the Air Canada restrictions (which I believe is 23kgs) you will be fine on the internal flight.

Kindest regards,

Julia