Painkillers in Japan
Is it true that you can not take Tramadol Hydrochloride tablets into Japan? They have been prescribed to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Hi Saramai,

We have spoken to our agents over in Japan and none of us can see a problem with you taking this medication. I would recommend taking your doctors prescription with you if possible, just to be on the safe side.

Kindest regards,
Monty
(17/05/2016, 04:55 PM)Moderator Wrote: Hi Saramai,

We have spoken to our agents over in Japan and none of us can see a problem with you taking this medication. I would recommend taking your doctors prescription with you if possible, just to be on the safe side.

Kindest regards,
Monty

I had to give the chemist my prescription but I have a letter from the surgery to confim that it was prescribed with all relevant personal details on it. Will this be sufficient? I was only going to take one packet with me (30 tablets) I am also taking Ibuprofen. Are these allowed? 
It is really difficult to find the relevant and latest information. 
Thank you.
Hi Saramai,

A letter from your surgery should be sufficient. It is quite unlikely that you'll get asked to provide any proof, but it is better to be safe than sorry. In terms of taking Ibuprofen, this shouldn't be an issue and I have heard that they do sell it over in Japan - Paracetamol on the other hand, is harder to get hold of.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,
Monty
Hi Saramai,

I believe from talking to my Japanese colleagues that you can bring up to one month's supply of prescription drugs into Japan, and up to two months' supply of non-prescription drugs. So you should be fine.
Kezzer
Hi Kezzer

Thanks for the information. I always take paracetamol on holidays just in case. I am allergic to Ibuprofen.

Jaya
Thank you. Feeel better about this now. Getting up to date info is difficult.
(16/05/2016, 04:10 PM)Saramai Wrote: Is it true that you can not take Tramadol Hydrochloride tablets into Japan? They have been prescribed to me.

There are some meds that are outright banned in Japan as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office state here - prescribed or not: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice...quirements

"Medication

The use or possession of some common prescription and over-the-counter medicines are banned under Japan’s strictly enforced anti-stimulant drugs law. This includes Vicks inhalers, medicines for allergies and sinus problems and even some mild painkillers like those containing codeine. Customs officials may not be sympathetic if you claim ignorance. If in any doubt, check with the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate before you travel."

I'm doing the Japan JY trip in October and have my GP teed up ready to change my antihistamine meds as the ones that work best for me are on the banned list because they contain a stimulant that just prevent drowsiness (for my driving at work) - they don't make me 'high'. To the Japanese there is no difference. I know someone at work who is Japanese and he explained to me that it's a weird (to outsiders) cultural thing in Japan that where something has both a good and bad use to the extent that it needs to be banned to stop the bad use - no exceptions are made to allow the good use and that's the end of it.