NEW/REVISED TRIPS
thank everyone for comment on capital letters, I get the point as I
was a touch typist for part of my career. I have now fallen again
and broken my right elbow, op on Wednesday next. even more
difficult now as right arm again. will use small letters from now on.
it just against my training not to use capital letters.
sue southampton
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Sue,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a fall - I hope your operation on Wednesday goes well.

Julia
Oh Sue, I'm so sorry to hear of another accident - hoping the op goes well and you are back fully mobile soon.

Take care,

Bob
Sue

Sorry your in the wars, good luck with the operation and I hope all goes well.

Cindy
Sue:

Really sorry to hear of your latest accident, so exacerbating your earlier one. I join others in wishing your operation tomorrow week complete success and a speedy recovery back to Square One.

I was interested also to read your last line, commenting on your training to use capital letters. With the monitor’s permission :-) may I add briefly to my elaboration, using my own career-long typographic ‘training’!

The reason you and all secretaries and typists were trained to use all capitals was because, with that technology, there was simply no alternative to emphasising word/s, other than using the red half of a bi-coloured ribbon, only possible if fitted of course. Even highlighting pens were not around! You could back-space the ‘platen’ and underline as necessary but that was just too time-consuming.

Today, we are used to umpteen options in this digital world: font weights (italic for mild emphasis and bold for stronger) and even increasing the size (if on a separate line please!); colour (ditto); underlining; and so on.