Return from my first trip
Hi Dave, I have been on several trips to Italy that I think you may enjoy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(18/05/2013, 03:49 PM)Newdave Wrote: Ok, I've been and I've come back!
From being excited when I first booked, I became apprehensive as the departure date neared. I was concerned that the introduction might be like an AA meeting "my name's Dave and I'm a widower". In the end I need not have been concerned; no-one pried and individuals' life stories just emerged as the holiday progressed.
The trip to Istanbul, Troy and Ephesus was great, always on the go (exactly what I wanted) and the other travellers were great company. The guide Ugur was extremely well prepared and gave us the facts we needed for each site we visited. He also managed the off-plan stops so that it appeared that we were having 3 meals each day. Local prices in turkish lire were cheap.
Would I recommend this trip? Yes 100%.
Will I go again? Of course I will. The only problem is that none of the trips in the brochure are quite as appealing as the one I've just been on. I'm looking for:
1. Not long haul
2. Ten days max
3. Plenty of activity, not lounging in the sun
If any more-seasoned JYer knows a holiday that fits these criteria, let me know.

Thanks to the new friends I met and who shared their holiday with me.

BTW It was the warmth of responses on this Community site that made me go in the first place. Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my posts.

I have been to Italy several times so you should take a look.
Hi all,

Is there anyone doing the China trip 9th Sept?
This is my first trip and feeling very nervy but also excited about it, would be great to hear from anyone who is planning this trip , or has already been

Thanks
Hi Dave . You've been and come back!!!  I have yet to go in September on my first ever solo holiday , your post has helped me a lot as I am feeling the same as you did,  I feel a lot more positive now , Thank you
Dave - Thanks for sharing - as someone in a similar situation, your experience will make me take the plunge and book my first trip.
John
From being excited when I first booked, I became apprehensive as the departure date neared. I was concerned that the introduction might be like an AA meeting "my name's Dave and I'm a widower". In the end I need not have been concerned; no-one pried and individuals' life stories just emerged as the holiday progressed.
The trip to Istanbul, Troy and Ephesus was great, always on the go (exactly what I wanted) and the other travellers were great company. The guide Ugur was extremely well prepared and gave us the facts we needed for each site we visited. He also managed the off-plan stops so that it appeared that we were having 3 meals each day. Local prices in turkish lire were cheap.
Will I go again? Of course I will. The only problem is that none of the trips in the brochure are quite as appealing as the one I've just been on. I'm looking for:
1. Not long haul
2. Ten days max
If any more-seasoned JYer knows a holiday that fits these criteria, let me know.

BTW It was the warmth of responses on this Community site that made me go in the first place. Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my posts.

Hi Dave.  My first trip was July.   Can't remember the exact name of the trip but we were based in Feldkirch in Austria and it was very active.  We crossed borders each day going to Germany,Switzerland, Lichtenstein and back.  Up a ski lift to snow on a tall Swiss mountain and then down to taste Austrian schnapps. Choc full of lovely memories including the floating stage on Lake Constance that appeared in the Bond movie .... and lots of lovely people.  Well worth it.
Hi, I would highly recommend Highlights of Tuscany, it was my first trip, I enjoyed every day's excursion, will visit again one day.
Tour manager Jonathan was exceptional.
I would really recommend  Apulia.  An included or optional excursion  each day. Each destination  had a good mix of cultural and historic interest,  and  plenty of shopping oportunities. A short flight to a so far largely unspoiled area of Italy.  The hotel was very good too!
(21/05/2013, 09:43 AM)Maddy Wrote: I've been on a few of the Italy trips and can highly recommend  the Highlights of Tuscany. You stay in a small town where there is a delightful family feel in the hotel, good food and friendly staff. There are plenty of trips to places where you have some idea what to expect such as Florence, and also the delightful surprises discovering less well known places such as Elba, my favourite excursion on this holiday.
I always ask people on my JY holidays where they've been and would recommend, you get some great ideas you might not have thought ablout.

I've just booked the highlights of tuscany holiday, so looking forward to it. Delighted to hear  some feedback on it.
Catherine
1. Not long haul
2. Ten days max

Hi Dave  I have recently returned from my first Justyou trip in early May. I would certainly recommend Discover Sicily 8 days 3 hours flight time. If you book the 2 extra excursions Mount Etna and Agrigento you will have a trip every day. There were 24 on the trip and excellent company they were too thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would definitely go on another tour. Paul