At the Airport
Ha ha Sally, yes the forum can be addictive - I go on it the days when I'm stuck in front of the computer and it gives me a welcome and engrossing break! I'm not far off "freak" status now, although I'm hoping Julia might be creative and come up with another title when I hit 750 posts as I'm not very keen on that one! I've always thought "get a life" is a horrible phrase, especially as we frequent posters try our best to be helpful! I wonder what Cindy's next status will be? I'll never catch up with her and that doesn't worry me, I always go for quality over quantity!!!

All the best,

Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Lol at Bob. .......but sometimes Quality does count over quantity......

Cindy
Ahem,....back to the themem of the thread......Idea
Has anyone got any good tips on traversing Gatwick Airport South Terminal, tips for beating the queues, what the averagetime before flights people start getting there, especially for the Tuscany Tour as I like to get to the airport early, check in then relax with a drink...
what time do the check in desks open?
all tips greatfully received, otherwise I'll have to re-post on 'Ask the Editor'! Shy
Standard check in times for flights is 3 hours for long haul, 2 hours for European flights. Gatwick has recently undergone a multi million pound refurbishment which includes a brand new Security area which has massively reduced queuing times. Their thinking is that time spent queuing at security is time not spending money airside!!! Having said all that, queues are inevitable, particularly at this time of year.

As regards the check in desks, it depends on the airline. Many airlines allow you to self check in on the kiosks. I don't know if there is a time limit as to how early you can check in but I generally arrive 3-4 hours before my flight and don't usually have a problem. Like you, I like to arrive in good time then spend time wandering around the shops and grabbing a bite to eat.

By the way, a general tip for people travelling with Easyjet. Often the queues for the bag drop are longer than the check in desks so don't expect to beat the queues checking on line - you will still have to queue!!!
Sally
(25/07/2013, 03:45 PM)Puer aeternus Wrote: Ahem,....back to the themem of the thread......Idea
Has anyone got any good tips on traversing Gatwick Airport South Terminal, tips for beating the queues, what the averagetime before flights people start getting there, especially for the Tuscany Tour as I like to get to the airport early, check in then relax with a drink...
what time do the check in desks open?
all tips greatfully received, otherwise I'll have to re-post on 'Ask the Editor'! Shy

Thought we were flying from North Terminal?

But seriously they say 2 hrs before departure time for European flights, but usually the desks are open before then. I found checking in online for Easy Jet in May (which we haven't got the option of on this trip) didn't make a difference to the lines. Ridiculous really.

Personally I am aiming to be there about 6.45am. Whether the desk will be open the I don't know.

As for security( and even with all the travelling I have done I still hate it) it sounds as though you are an experienced traveller? I take off everything (lol) you need to in advance, even shoes and have my liquids separate to go in the trays.
North/South? I don't know, funny if I ended up at the wrong terminal! Huh
The tips sound good, thanks, Sally and BosunCat. I've experienced a few flights in my life, I think I've amassed enough points to get my own plane! Mainly Heathrow though on scheduled flights, flown to/from OZ about 8 times, States about 6, Asia, Europe, so airports are not my most favourite places. Gatwick was only really used in my youth, for charter flights to Greece/Spain etc, the sort of cheapo boozy holidays you do when your young!
(26/07/2013, 03:50 PM)Puer aeternus Wrote: North/South? I don't know, funny if I ended up at the wrong terminal! Huh
The tips sound good, thanks, Sally and BosunCat. I've experienced a few flights in my life, I think I've amassed enough points to get my own plane! Mainly Heathrow though on scheduled flights, flown to/from OZ about 8 times, States about 6, Asia, Europe, so airports are not my most favourite places. Gatwick was only really used in my youth, for charter flights to Greece/Spain etc, the sort of cheapo boozy holidays you do when your young!

Defintely North Terminal. Funnily enough I have used North quite a bit but South only once. And you seem to have done more than me!
Oh my goodness Bob am feeling quite nervous about the airport on my upcoming trip. Have done two previous trips with Just You and didnt have probs meeting up with fellow travellers or got lost as you have, You have now made me feel apprehensive that things do go wrong.
Hi Valerie, I'm sure there's no need to be nervous - all's well that end's well!! The main thing is to be at the airport in plenty of time and there[/i] is usually loads of time between connecting flights, so there's no need to rush or panic. I should add that the time I did my first tour and couldn't find the group - it was not with JY! I've never had any problems meeting up with JY folks at the airport. The luggage tags are a great way of finding fellow travellers. On my last tour, I met a chap who'd been on a previous tour with me and we had great fun in the airport restaurant spotting who might be a JY traveller - invariably we were right!!

Cheers,

Bob
Thank you Bob, sure (ish) wont have probs at airport this time - never have with Just You before!