Spending Money - USA
Hi Julia I see you have just answered this question for Margaret who's going to New Zealand, and wonder if you could answer the same question for me - going to National Parks etc. on 20th May.
I have no idea how much it costs to eat out now in the US and wonder if you could help me out. It would be good to get an idea of how much I need to take.
Thank you - Olive
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Hi Olive,

For meals we would suggest budgeting as per UK prices.

For any extras, our product manager has suggested:
- A tip of 15 to 20 percent is the norm when food or drink is served.
- Taxi drivers/tour guides – taxi drivers usually receive $1 to $2; tour guides receive $1 to $2 per person.
- Maid – a $2 tip per day is customary.

And obviously a little extra for any souvenirs to remember your holiday by.

Kind regards,
Julia
and remember Olive that Tax is added at check out so the price you see isn't always the price you pay in USA, still you'll have a wonderful time
(01/05/2013, 11:03 AM)Julia Wrote: Hi Olive,

For meals we would suggest budgeting as per UK prices.

For any extras, our product manager has suggested:
- A tip of 15 to 20 percent is the norm when food or drink is served.
- Taxi drivers/tour guides – taxi drivers usually receive $1 to $2; tour guides receive $1 to $2 per person.
- Maid – a $2 tip per day is customary.

And obviously a little extra for any souvenirs to remember your holiday by.

Kind regards,
Julia

Thanks Julia
Kind regards Olive
(01/05/2013, 05:15 PM)AbbaDave Wrote: and remember Olive that Tax is added at check out so the price you see isn't always the price you pay in USA, still you'll have a wonderful time

Thanks AbbaDave
I'll bear that in mind. Really looking forward to this trip
Kind regards Olive
Hi Olive

From my last 2 visits to America, AbbaDave is correct about ‘sales tax’ whether it be meals or gifts. Each state is different but 10% is a good guide to add to the price.

As for tips I don’t think you will require a taxi. As a guide the tour manager’s tip is $2 a day and the driver $1 a day. Get an envelope from the hotel if you want to put the money in. Never given a maid a tip! Drinks $1 or $2 per drink.

Breakfasts are about $10 to $15. Lunch will probably be a filled roll (and they are big) from Walmart etc. Say $15 with a soft drink or water. Evening meal, can be from $20 to $40. Try the diners, they are really go value for money. There’s a Denny’s Classic Diner next to the hotel in Cortez in Colorado.

If you want any more information (and anyone else about this trip) just ask.

Regards

Malcolm
Malcolm

Why do you not tip a maid, just curious seems a bit harsh if your tipping all the rest?

Cindy
(01/05/2013, 06:48 PM)Sussex Downs Wrote: Hi Olive

From my last 2 visits to America, AbbaDave is correct about ‘sales tax’ whether it be meals or gifts. Each state is different but 10% is a good guide to add to the price.

As for tips I don’t think you will require a taxi. As a guide the tour manager’s tip is $2 a day and the driver $1 a day. Get an envelope from the hotel if you want to put the money in. Never given a maid a tip! Drinks $1 or $2 per drink.

Breakfasts are about $10 to $15. Lunch will probably be a filled roll (and they are big) from Walmart etc. Say $15 with a soft drink or water. Evening meal, can be from $20 to $40. Try the diners, they are really go value for money. There’s a Denny’s Classic Diner next to the hotel in Cortez in Colorado.

If you want any more information (and anyone else about this trip) just ask.

Regards

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. Your info has been so helpful. You mentioned on a previous post that you had snow in Yellowstone. Just wondering how cold it was and what sort of jacket I should be taking. Will a good waterproof be OK? Kind regards Olive
i always myself tip the maids especially if you see a lot of them they work really hard for not the best of pay, if on a tour you may never see a maid what with early departures but the last destination is good if you have lots of cash left to get rid of
I leave a tip in the room if I do not see a maid. Like AbbaDave says, they work hard for poor pay and if anyone deserves a tip, then they do.

Jaya