Vietnam and Cambodia Feb 2013
(11/03/2013, 03:09 PM)BGray Wrote: Hi again Janet, dinner was included every evening and unusually for these tours, it was almost always in a restaurant rather than the hotel - we usually met in the foyer at 7 or 7.30pm and the bus took us to dinner. In fact, most of us tended to meet half an hour or an hour before the time, for a pre-dinner drink in the hotel bar. Almost all the restaurants were excellent and although it was usually a set menu, the food varied quite a lot. We generally returned to the hotel around 9pm or so. Some hardy folks then retired to the hotel bar for a few drinks. I usually went to my room to get a good night's sleep as the wake up call was generally around 6am!

Any other questions, ask away!

Bob

Thanks Bob,
I feel more prepared for the trip now ; it`s a shame JY doesn`t include a bit more detail when bookings are made .
Your comments are valuable - cheers !
Jan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(11/03/2013, 08:14 PM)Annam Wrote: Jan

I'm departing on the 4th September. Are you and your friend on the same date?

Anna

Hi Anna - yes we`re booked on that date too - yay !
Nice that this site enables people to chat along the way - another person to look for in the group when we all meet !
JanSmile
Hi again Jan, yes I agree that more info would be helpful although I reckon JY don't give us all the details as they vary a bit from trip to trip - for example, Debbie our tour manager altered the itinerary on occasions from that printed on our sheets, usually so that we did the tours early morning to avoid the heat of the day, which I appreciated. One or two things on the itinerary didn't happen quite as described and I'm sure this is common on all tours (esp of the long haul variety to developing countries). I'd say JY try to get the balance right in giving just enough info and no more, as there are some customers only too quick to protest if something doesn't happen exactly (and I mean exactly!) as it is described in the itinerary!
Cheers,
Bob
(13/03/2013, 02:01 PM)BGray Wrote: Hi again Jan, yes I agree that more info would be helpful although I reckon JY don't give us all the details as they vary a bit from trip to trip - for example, Debbie our tour manager altered the itinerary on occasions from that printed on our sheets, usually so that we did the tours early morning to avoid the heat of the day, which I appreciated. One or two things on the itinerary didn't happen quite as described and I'm sure this is common on all tours (esp of the long haul variety to developing countries). I'd say JY try to get the balance right in giving just enough info and no more, as there are some customers only too quick to protest if something doesn't happen exactly (and I mean exactly!) as it is described in the itinerary!
Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks again for your comprehensive appraisals - really helpful.
Your point about some people being inflexible regarding travel
itenerary - I noted that on the Tuscany trip, especially of a small percentage the group and it`s a shame - life`s too short to expect not to adapt and enjoy the diversity of new holiday adventures.
It`s natural , I suppose, as some people are set in their ways possibly ?
Regards,
Jan
Jan

Look forward to meeting you on this trip.
Bob's comments have been very helpful!

Anna
Thanks Jan and Anna for your kind comments. It's been my only source of annoyance on the JY tours I've done that there are usually one or two people who nit-pick - whether it's something that is a little different from that stated on the itinerary, or complaining about the weather or whatever! As far as I'm concerned, I count myself very fortunate that I discovered JY three years ago and that I currently have the health and resources to be able to go on one or two holidays a year. So the little details don't bother me and I do my very best to really enjoy each place I visit!

By the way, one thing some of us noticed on the tour is that our cameras slowed down (and in some cases stopped working completely) because of the very high humidity. So don't be alarmed if that happens to you. I've a Lumix compact camera and it slowed down (it's still not quite right and I'm home two weeks!) - some people with expensive digital SLR cameras found that theirs stopped working completely towards the end of the tour - but they had compact digital cameras with them as well, so they weren't stuck. Just something to bear in mind. Also, if like me you like to bring your own shower gel etc, given the heat and humidity you'll probably be showering two or even three times a day, so bring enough supplies with you (the same goes for sun cream and DEET- you could be applying both several times a day). Might be stating the obvious here, but thought it worth saying.

All the best,

Bob
Thanks for the very informative posts Bob. I'm going on this trip in November and I can't wait! It's my first JY holiday and I hope it's going to live up to all expectations!
Lynn
(11/03/2013, 12:22 PM)cate52a Wrote: Thanks Bob - I'm booked for October and your review has made me aware of what an exciting adventure the whole thing will be.

Hi Cate, I've booked for Oct 27th, is that when you're going?
Marion
Hi Bob

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive review. This is one trip I would like to do one day and your comments have been very useful. Re people nit-picking - I think that people who complain about everything should just stay at home. You should try and be flexible when travelling on holidays to other countries as things don't always go to plan. It is the same with life where things don't go to plan. Nit pickers must lead a very miserable life!!

Jaya
Hi Jaya, very, very true - and I wouldn't be a tour manager for all the tea in China!! I think they do a wonderful job and all the ones I've encountered on JY holidays have been terrific.

All the best,

Bob