WHAT MONEY TO TAKE TO CHINA ?
IS IS A GOOD IDEA TO TAKE A MIX OF MONEY TO CHINA, I MEAN TRAVELLERS CHEQUES AND CHINESE MONEY ? AND IM STILL WONDERING HOW MUCH TO TAKE !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yes, I too am wondering how much I will need. Any advice anyone?
Dear Gael,Sorry for the late reply, had to do a bit of research for you on this one. This is what I have come up with:As many of the meals and excursions are included on Just You holidays to China I would advise the only money you need bring is money for personal spending and alcoholic beverages if you drink them. There is no limit on the amount of foreign currency and foreign exchange that can be brought to China by passengers, but if the amount is over £2500 this must be declared at customs. You may also take up to 6,000 China Yuan (£400 approx). Some hotels are refusing to accept Travellers' Cheques with the following logos:Visa travellers' cheques issued by Interpayment Services LtdMaster Card travellers' cheques issued by Thomas Cook Ltd The hotels have said the banks won't accept them. Money exchange facilities for both currency and traveller's cheques are available at major airports, hotels, and department stores. Exchange rates fluctuate in line with international financial market conditions and are published daily by the State Exchange Control Administration.Currency rather than credit cards is essential in remote areas, and you should ensure that you carry sufficient Chinese currency and traveller's cheques to cover your requirements.Banks will only accept notes in perfect condition. The smallest tear or defacement will result in your cash being refused. UK visitors should note that Scottish or Northern Ireland bank notes are NOT accepted.At present, the following credit cards are accepted in China: Master Card, Federal Card, Visa, American Express and Diners Card. Holders can draw cash from the Bank of China and pay for purchases at exchange centers of the Bank of China, appointed shops, hotels and restaurants. However, this applies only in major cities. Cash machines that accept foreign cards are few and far between. Do not rely on them as a way of obtaining cash in Mainland China. Consult with your bank before departing to make sure that your brand of cheque or credit card will be accepted.Hope this information is of use to you. Please just ask if you need anything else.Kind RegardsCheryl, Your Editor