Peru - 13th March
Hi Olly,
Sorry - a few questions....
Do we have the name of our tour manager yet please?
Do you know how many of us are going on this date yet?
Could you tell me what adaptors I will need for my electrical stuff (camera, mobile phone charger etc.) please.
I saw you told someone to take their walking boots - will I need to do so as I am not doing the Amazon add-on?
I have already had my jabs but think I may need insect repellent but I am not sure.
I see there are 2 optional excursions but these cannot be paid in advance. I know how much these cost in Sterling but have no idea how much cash I should take - Is Peru expensive? What is best - to get a small amount of currency before I go & take Sterling (as for China) or take more Peruvian currency? I will take my debit & credit cards of course.
I am really looking forward to this trip. Sorry so many questions
Best wishes,
Lesley Angel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Hi Lesley

Your tour manager is Brian Croft and so far 13 have booked.

For adapters, have a look at this website - useful for future trips as it has info on every country in the world:
http://electricaloutlet.org/

It would be handy to have hiking boots but you probably can manage without them. Parts of Machu Picchu have some big steps and as you are in the Andes the gradients can be a little steep but if that doesn't sound like a problem then by all means just take some decent trainers.

I don't remember there being that many insects when I visited - certainly not at higher altitude - but it might be worth having a spray handy in Lima.

Peru is an extremely cheap country so you won't need a lot of cash. You will need money for one or two meals each day but I doubt this will cost much. I would allow about £30 a day (you can always withdraw more). If you can't get some Peruvian sol before you go you will be able to get it at the airport or the banks in Lima. I managed to use my debit card in cashpoints there almost 10 years ago, so I'm sure that will be easy now.

Not long to go now!

Kind regards
Olly, your editor
Hi Olly,
Thanks - you're a star.
I am counting the days now. Bring it on!
Be happy,
Best wishes,
Lesley Angel
I went to Peru in 2009 and took sterling and US dollars and got local currency in Lima. Most places were very happy to take dollars and in fact many items were priced in sol and dollars.

Peter
(10/01/2012, 01:15 PM)PeterG Wrote: I went to Peru in 2009 and took sterling and US dollars and got local currency in Lima. Most places were very happy to take dollars and in fact many items were priced in sol and dollars.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks I was still unsure whether to take Sterling or dollars. If I took some dollars, I could always use them up later in the year when I do Route 66, I suppose. May take both then.
I checked the website Olly suggested for the electrical adaptors but there were 3 different ones listed. Could you remember which ones were needed please?
Best wishes,
Lesley :angel:
Hi Lesley
As far as I can remember it was the top one of those shown, with two round prongs.

Peter
(12/01/2012, 12:21 AM)PeterG Wrote: Hi Lesley
As far as I can remember it was the top one of those shown, with two round prongs.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your help. I will take a couple of those with me.
It's not long now till I go and I am really looking forward to it.
Best wishes,
Lesley Angel
Hi Lesley,
Have a great time in Peru, I have just booked for August!!! I would love to hear how you get on, what footwear you would recommend and the dreaded adaptors.
Best wishes
Lynden
(16/01/2012, 10:01 PM)lyndenp Wrote: Hi Lesley,
Have a great time in Peru, I have just booked for August!!! I would love to hear how you get on, what footwear you would recommend and the dreaded adaptors.
Best wishes
Lynden

Hi Lynden,
Thanks for your good wishes - Yes not long to go now & I can't wait.
I am glad you have decided to do this trip too & I will certainly let you know how I got on. If you are like me, you have always wanted to see Machu Picchu. So now we can.
Be happy,
Best wishes,
Lesley Angel
(17/01/2012, 06:53 PM)LovelyLesley1 Wrote:
(16/01/2012, 10:01 PM)lyndenp Wrote: Hi Lesley,
Best wishes
Lynden

Hi Lynden,
Thanks for your good wishes - Yes not long to go now & I can't wait.
I am glad you have decided to do this trip too & I will certainly let you know how I got on. If you are like me, you have always wanted to see Machu Picchu. So now we can.
Be happy,
Best wishes,
Lesley Angel

Hi Lesley

Yes Machu Picchu is one of the reasons for booking! Last year I went to China and know you have done this JY trip too, I just loved the wall as I had always wanted to see it and never dreamt I would. That's made me even more adventurous!!
Have a brilliant time!
Lynden