jonah
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am booked on the above trip and received a letter yesterday saying that my inbound flight details were incorrect on the original paperwork.  However I am slightly confused.  The flight details VN055 leaving Hanoi at 01.10 and arriving at 07.40 are the same but the departure date has changed from 22nd to 23rd November.

The add on in Vietnam commences on 19th November and is for 3 nights effectively ending on 21st November so I assume that the change is just clarifying that because flight time is after midnight the 22nd November is a days holiday in Vietnam but there is no accommodation included.

Hope this makes sense - I think the letter could have been clearer if this is the case.

Many thanks

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Jonah,

I understand that there was a set-up error for this tour which shows a return 24 hours earlier than scheduled, so the date showing now, 23/11 is correct.

You'll leave for the airport late on the evening of 22/11 and then fly 0100 on 23/11 arriving back in UK later that morning.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Amy

That is what I thought was the situation.  As I said the letter could have been a lot clearer and shorter!!

Regards

IanWight
(Member)
Hi (again) Jonah,

It looks as though we are both on this trip!

I had an identical letter which, thanks to you question, I can now move from the "will do after jet lag" pile to the "done" pile.

Ian

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Ian

Happy to help. Look forward to meeting next year. I have been wanting to do this trip since I went to Burma so really looking forward to it.

Pauline71
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Thank you Amy

That is what I thought was the situation.  As I said the letter could have been a lot clearer and shorter!!

Regards

We had exactly the same situation in March. It was very confusing!

Pauline

Sue I
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Jonah and Ian

Are you both going on the Untold Cambodia and Laos on 6 .11 .18?

I am hoping to go on this trip too.

Cheers

Sue

IanWight
(Member)
'Sue I' wrote:

Hello Jonah and Ian

Are you both going on the Untold Cambodia and Laos on 6 .11 .18?

I am hoping to go on this trip too.

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue, Yes I am booked on this - it does seem a long way away though but as it looked very popula\r I decided to get in early.

I was in Cambodia a few years ago on a Vietnam/Cambodia trip with AN Other company and Cambodia turned out to be the hidden gem. The attraction of this trip is that whilst last time you flew between locations here all movement is on the ground so you see a lot more of the country. I have not been to Laos so that is new to me & I am doing the add on to Hanoi which I enjoyed last time & hope to see in more depth.

Hope to see you on this trip.

Ian

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sue

Yes I am and doing the Vietnam add on.

Come and join us.

Best wishes

Sue I
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Ian and Jonah!

I'm just deciding whether to do the add on before I go ahead and book.

my son did 2 months in Cambodia and Laos and loved the place and the people. I've also just watched Sue Perkins' trip, sailing up the Mekong and it looks fascinating. Just up my street!

Hope to join you

Sue

IanWight
(Member)
'Sue I' wrote:

Thanks Ian and Jonah!

I'm just deciding whether to do the add on before I go ahead and book.

my son did 2 months in Cambodia and Laos and loved the place and the people. I've also just watched Sue Perkins' trip, sailing up the Mekong and it looks fascinating. Just up my street!

Hope to join you

Sue

Sue,

Go for it - you know you want to! See you in 11 1/2 months! Ian

PaulaH
(Member)
Hi all.

I'm seriously considering this trip in November too. Just assessing the Finances but I'm sure I'll just go for it.

Paula

Sue I
  • (Member)
(Member)
'PaulaH' wrote:

Hi all.

I'm seriously considering this trip in November too. Just assessing the Finances but I'm sure I'll just go for it.

Paula

Me too Paula

My usual style is to assess assess assess the finances then ask myself why!!??

And then I do it (whatever) while I still can!!

Will most likely see you on Nov 6th along with Ian And Jonah

Sue

Sue I
  • (Member)
(Member)
Yippee I'm booked!!

See you at Heathrow next year!

Sue

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Well done.  Only just over 11 months to go!!
IanWight
(Member)
'Sue I' wrote:

Yippee I'm booked!!

See you at Heathrow next year!

Sue

Welcome aboard Sue, see you in 11 months time! 🙂  Ian

PaulaH
(Member)
I've just booked as well - Yay!!!

See you in November.

Paula

IanWight
(Member)
'PaulaH' wrote:

I've just booked as well - Yay!!!

See you in November.

Paula

Welcome aboard as well Paula - only 11 months to wait! Ian

jonah
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Woohoo.  How many are booked now Amy?
Mo R
  • (Member)
(Member)
I arrived back from this trip on the 24th Nov. OMG you lot are in for an amazing experience. Its full on, up early to avoid the crowds! The weather was in the 30's, you just need loose clothing, t shirts, cropped trews or shorts.

For the temples as long as your knees and shoulders are covered you should be ok but have some long trews and sleeves too as some are stricter than others,your guide will advise you the day before. Take some easy on/off sandals, good flip flops are fine, as you will have to take them off before you step into the temples. The ruins were spectacular sight to see, and you will be "templed out" before you know it!

At times you are on the coach for a long time but there is aircon and plenty of bottled cold water, lots of us did nod off from time to time but Chet our guide in Cambodia was full of knowledge and shared his passion for his country every step of the way, we all loved him. There are lots of interesting stop offs, especially the spider market -  from personal experience the crickets taste like chicken but whose brave enough to try a nice crunchy fried cockroach?

The visit to the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum was very sad, and we decided to give the market a miss after this as it didn't feel right , instead we visited the killing fields to pay our respects  it certainly makes you realise what these lovely people have come through. This one is up to you if you want to do it or not as its not in the documents.

Unfortunately I missed the water fall as I had the dreaded tummy upset as did a few of us. It looked lovely.

Take immodium with you just in case.

You can get down and dirty in knee deep mud with Rudolf the buffalo planting rice as 2 of our brave group did, or have a go at making a broom which gave us all a good laugh watching Margaret have a go at this but she came away as the proud owner of her very own hand made broom. There is so much to see, the people are lovely, always a smile and a wave.

We participated in the alms giving in Laos, it was amazing - very early start for this one.

The shopping in the markets was a favourite one for us ladies and I think we would have liked a little more of this pastime!

The included meals are a set menu, there was 17 of us and the food was assorted dishes between 3 or 4 people and what was left was passed around the table. If you don't eat a particular food let your TM know and your guide before hand and you will be catered for, some of our group didn't eat fish so were given an alternative, the food was lovely and there was always some very tasty dips. The only meals we didn't enjoy were at the hotel in Kratie so stock up an snacks before you get there. JY I  hope you take note of the groups dismay at this hotel, having said that there is a very good  pizza place further down the street.

10 of us did the add on Most things are sold in Dong here so take some with you.The weather dipped a bit in Hanoi and we needed a fleece but as the day went on it warmed up again but not as much. We arranged  a trip to Halong bay through Jonathan our TM whilst we were in Laos who got in touch with our tour guide in Vietnam to book it for us. It cost $83.00 each, a long drive but well worth it, lunch inclusive was on board all set out very nicely and the food was delicious lovely fresh juicy prawns for you fish lovers, again if you do this trip please tell the guide before hand your meat preferences. We went into the caves which were spectacular all lit up.

I have missed so much out as there was so much to see and do!!

This was my first solo holiday I made some lovely friends on this trip and I will never forget it, just deciding to go for Borneo or Nicaragua for my next one.

I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Mo