BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone...we're back!!

I thought I'd start this review with an overview of the tour and then go into a bit more detail.  Overall it was a very good tour and I enjoyed it very much.  However, it was not without its frustrations and disappointments (more about this later) and if it is to continue, I think it does require some tweaking and an overhaul.  It was a very busy tour, with many one day overnight stops (especially in the first half) and we found all the time on the bus tiring.  Due to unforeseen circumstances three travelling days were much longer than expected and this certainly didn't help matters.  There were 20 in the group and on the whole we got on extremely well - they were a great bunch of travelling companions!  It was great to catch up with some familiar faces that I had met on previous tours.  Freddy Morgan, the tour manager, was superb and he did all he possibly could to ensure that we got the best out of the holiday.  He is a credit to JY and has worked with the company for 23 years.  His experience and professionalism shone through and at various times he saved the tour from disaster.  He was extremely thoughtful and checked with each of us daily, to ensure we were happy and enjoying ourselves.  One day he bought us all fruit when there was none available at breakfast and I think this sums up well his whole approach to being a tour manager.  He also had a great sense of humour, which was needed at times!!

The weather was generally very good, with it being cooler than expected during the first week.  We had showers the day we were at Tikal, but apart from that it was generally sunny, with the odd overcast day.  It was cool in the mountains at San Cristobal, so bring a jumper and fleece/jacket with you just in case!  The sun was very strong and most of us got a bit burnt at times, so be careful to put on loads of suncream!  The hotels were excellent throughout, apart from Belize, and we stayed in some fabulous colonial style hotels, which were wonderful.  All had US style sockets, but not all the rooms had safes, so make sure you bring a lock for your case.  The ladies asked me to point out that not all the rooms had hairdryers!  The food varied from inedible/poor (mainly in Mexico) to excellent, with most meals being acceptable rather than good.  We did have a number of fantastic meals, which  made up for the rest!  Beer was cheap and wine varied from being reasonably priced to exorbitant, so be careful! All the coaches we were on were very comfortable and one of the highlights of the tour for me was travelling on various forms of transport – including a tuk-tuk, pick-up truck, speedboat, horse, canoe and pirate ship!!  Mosquitoes were not a major problem, although most of us got a few bites.  We were advised there was no need to use DEET in the mountains, but that was where I got my first bites so I'd say use it throughout if you want to be on the safe side.  Unfortunately we saw very little wildlife on the tour and felt that the itinerary had perhaps oversold this aspect of the holiday!  A few people had upset stomachs for a day or two, but no one was seriously ill or missed out on anything as a result.  Water was easily available in the hotels or at comfort stops (and on the bus in Guatemala).  It was easy to change currency in the hotels and Freddy arranged a stop at currency exchanges when necessary.  Most places accepted US dollars and gave the change in local currency or dollars, or a mixture of the two!  So now for a bit more detail….

Mexico

On arrival, we travelled to Cancun, which is a bit like a mini-Vegas-by-the-sea.  This was just an overnight stop, albeit in an excellent hotel.  The next day we travelled though flat scenery to Chichen Itza (or Chicken Pizza as we liked to call it), which was great to see but perhaps because it was so familiar to many of us we felt a little underwhelmed by the visit.  I liked the Sacred Cenote and for me it was the highlight.  Then we travelled to Campeche, which is a well preserved colonial town with brightly coloured houses and well worth a visit.  The next day, we travelled to Palenque and stayed in another excellent hotel.  We visited the Mayan site there, in the jungle, and it was superb.  The consensus in the group was that we much preferred it, in a natural setting, to Chichen Itza.  Freddy then had a wonderful surprise for us – a visit to the Agua Azul waterfalls.  This was not officially on the itinerary and we all enjoyed stunning views of the beautiful deep blue waters. 

We then began the long journey to San Cristobal.  We were by now travelling through very isolated mountainous areas of Chiapas province, with more stunning scenery.  All was well, as we made our way through countless twisty turns until we met oncoming traffic that kept on flashing their lights at us – in time we came to realise that the road ahead was blocked by protestors.  Seemingly this happens from time to time, as the local Mayan people protest against their treatment by the government (we later learned that the previous blockade had been two weeks before).  Our driver found a place to turn the coach around and we began to head in the opposite direction, with the intention of trying to find an alternative route.  However a mile or two up the road, we came to a standstill as cars had stopped ahead of us – the road was now blocked in that direction too – we were trapped!!  It was dark by this stage and we were apprehensive as we didn’t know what was happening.  First of all our local guide, Francisco, went to talk to the protestors.  He was gone a long time but eventually returned with no news.  Then Freddy went off to negotiate with them; thankfully he is fluent in Spanish (he lives in Spain) and came back with good news – they were going to let us through!  So after two hours we got through the blockade but the bad news was that we had to head back to Palenque – thankfully the hotel were able to accommodate us.  We arrived there around midnight, exhausted and relieved.  Freddy was our hero!

The next day we had a very long journey to arrive in San Cristobal  by another route, to avoid the roadblock – we later discovered that the blockade had lasted a full 48 hours, so we were so relieved that we did not have to endure that without food or water or other facilities – it would have been a horrendous experience.  Freddy managed to re-jig the itinerary, so we were still able to visit the Sumidero Canyon (a very enjoyable boat trip) and one of the indigenous villages, which has a unique church that blends Christian and Mayan beliefs to stunning effect with candles and flowers.  In San Cristobal  we stayed in another beautiful colonial hotel and had a great meal.  Unfortunately one of the ladies in the group suffered a nasty fall and had to go to the hospital for stitches, but she was great in the way she handled the experience and was up for breakfast as usual the next day.  We were a hardy bunch of travellers! The next day we headed to the border with Guatemala and our adventures continued….

Guatemala

It took us three hours to get through the border, including a very long and frustrating experience at the Mexican side, with the entry and exit queues both being handled by one uncooperative official!  Eventually we were on our way through stunning mountain scenery as we made our way to Panajachel and the beautiful Lake Atitlan.  I think all the group would agree that we much preferred Guatemala to Mexico – the scenery was so much nicer and the locals more friendly.  We had a lovely boat trip on the Lake, the perfect antidote to a hectic few days activity.  Next we journeyed to Antigua, another well preserved colonial town and we were lucky enough to be there on the first Sunday in Lent, when the town had a colourful Lenten procession, with the roads decorated with floral designs, a very special experience.  We enjoyed a walking tour of Antigua the next day and visited a coffee farm.  The coffee in Guatemala was superb and they are very proud of it and claim it is the best in the world!  The next day we went to visit the Pacaya volcano on horseback – you can walk up to the viewing point but all our group opted to go by horse as it is very rough underfoot and a long way uphill.  We all walked back down (very carefully) after taking in the views.  After a flight to Flores, we stayed in a great lodge and visited Tikal – we had a very long tour of the sites (too long in most people’s opinion!) and again saw very little wildlife.  After that it was on to Belize…

Belize

Thankfully after an uneventful and brief border crossing we entered into Belize and it has a much more Caribbean flavour to it.  The people are laid back and disorganized but quite charming.  The hotel at San Ignacio was very basic, bordering on shabby and the only poor one we stayed in.  The gardens were beautiful though.   That afternoon we went to the Barton Creek cave and things took another unexpected turn.  Freddy had told us we would have a guide in each canoe, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case – we had one between two or three canoes, which meant that some of the group had to paddle, which we did with mixed success.  The cave itself was a bit disappointing – we didn’t see much “eerie remains of human bones and artefacts” (as the itinerary puts it), rather just seeing part of one skull perched high up on a rock and a bit of pottery.  Half way through we had to turn the canoes around and make our way back, which again proved quite tricky.  Unfortunately one of the canoes overturned and two of the group ended up in the water (thankfully it was only around four feet deep at that point, otherwise it could have been a much more serious episode).  They took it in good spirits but I feel if we had had a guide in each boat it wouldn’t have happened.  Finally we went by coach to Belize City and by high speed boat to San Pedro.  Regular readers of the Community forum will know that a couple of us were concerned about the numerous hotel changes to this part of the itinerary but in the end the Banana Beach hotel was fine – the bathroom in my room could have done with refurbishment but it was acceptable.  The restaurant there, Il Divino, was very good and we also found another excellent restaurant nearby for our second night (called Hidden Treasure – well worth a visit).  Most people get around San Pedro by golf cart but the driving is crazy, so I recommend you get a taxi instead to head up to the town centre. 

San Pedro is a real Caribbean town, and although the beach is very narrow, the town itself has a lot of charm.  Half the group went snorkelling to Hol Chan and they had a wonderful time – one experienced snorkeller said it was second only to the Galapagos in her experience!  Four of us got a taxi to the town for a wander and had a very enjoyable lunch on the beachfront.  The next day everything fell apart as we prepared to leave for our transfer back into Mexico – the local agent had gone AWOL and when she finally turned up, it transpired that instead of booking us to take the ferry to Chetumel, we had been booked to return by ferry to Belize City and go overland to our final destination.  This added around four hours to an already long travelling day, with the result that we did not get to see the beachfront Mayan ruins at Tulum (which I was very disappointed about, as these were the ruins I had most been looking forward to seeing).  Instead we had a mammoth journey to Puerto Morelos and our final hotel.  We arrived there around 8.30pm totally wrecked, only to be faced with a complicated check-in procedure!  This meant that we had no time at all to freshen up if we were to get to the restaurant in time for our farewell dinner.  It was a mad rush, trying to find our rooms in a complex and enormous hotel.  We just about made it in time for dinner, at which we made a presentation to Freddy in gratitude for all that he had done for us.

Puerto Morelos add-on

The next morning, the main tour group packed up and headed to the airport, while the seven of us doing the add-on had an excursion to Cozumel island – I had checked with Monty beforehand to find out what was involved on this excursion (and eventually, after several months, the local agents finally responded with some scant information).   It was billed as a snorkelling trip, but there was much more to it than that.  As I do not snorkel, I was in two minds whether to do the trip, which is why I asked for further information.  Another member of the group was in the same position as myself and in the end we both went – and we were very glad we did.  The seven of us had a wonderful day.  As Freddy was going back with the main tour group, we were met at the hotel by a bus and driver.  We did a couple of hotel pick-ups and then transferred by coach to Playa del Carmen (this was the original venue for the add-on, but it was transferred to Puerto Morelos as accommodation couldn’t be secured there).  We then took a ferry to Cozumel and those of us on the top deck were treated to a fantastic band who sang well known Spanish songs (like “La Bamba”) and got us all in the party spirit!  When we arrived on the island, our guide for the day brought us to the side of the dock where we were met by…a pirate ship!!  A beautiful wooden boat, complete with a pirate crew, who took us out to sea once more for three separate snorkels.   The crew were great fun and posed for photos in the costumes and got us up dancing!  Complementary drinks were served (the margaritas were great!) and those of us who weren’t snorkelling took full advantage!  Afterwards we were brought to a restaurant for a great lunch (finally, some good Mexican food!) and we had free time on the island to relax before heading back to the hotel.  The next day we took it easy, three of us got a taxi to the town centre (very quiet, with lots of craft and souvenir shops) and had a lazy afternoon.  We all met up for drinks and dinner later. We went to a show in the hotel that evening which was entertaining in a “so bad, it’s good” kind of way! Our hotel, the Ocean Coral and Turquesa was superb – intimidating at first as it is so huge, but with a great range of facilities and a brilliant buffet restaurant.  It was my first “all inclusive” experience and I really enjoyed it.  It was a great way to end a memorable holiday and I’m very glad I did the add-on, rather than having a rushed end to the tour.

So all-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed this varied tour and I’m glad I did it.  Given the problems JY had with the local agents in advance of the tour and the complexities involved while we were on it, I’m not sure whether it will be around for long – so if you have had your eye on it but were waiting for a review, I’d say it is an action packed itinerary to an unusual tourist destination – and go now while you can!!  I hope the other forum regulars who were on this tour will add any bits I’ve left out – and of course, I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.  Finally, I’d say this tour is not suitable for anyone with limited mobility and you would need good energy levels to be able to handle it but it was all worth it in the end!!

Best wishes,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member)
Brilliant review as always Bob, and thank you so much for writing it so quickly so that hopefully people who are going off this Wednesday on the trip can see it, and be aware of any potential problems before they go.  :rolleyes:

It certainly seems as though you had an intriguing and enjoyable time, in spite of the various hiccups, some of which couldn't be avoided.  I was sorry to read about the mishap with the canoes.  Basic health and safety isn't it to have a guide in each boat? :s    I am pleased to read that everyone came out of that okay.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob

Wow what an adventure you all had, thank you for leaving such a detailed review, I hope that JY can address some of your issues, so that others leaving soon can be prepared...it sounds as if you had a very good tour and I bet your so thankful you had an experienced manager with you, as this could of been so different if you didn't.

I look forward to your next adventure !

Cindy

RayT
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi everyone...we're back!!

I thought I'd start this review with an overview of the tour and then go into a bit more detail.  Overall it was a very good tour and I enjoyed it very much.  However, it was not without its frustrations and disappointments (more about this later) and if it is to continue, I think it does require some tweaking and an overhaul.  It was a very busy tour, with many one day overnight stops (especially in the first half) and we found all the time on the bus tiring.  Due to unforeseen circumstances three travelling days were much longer than expected and this certainly didn't help matters.  There were 20 in the group and on the whole we got on extremely well - they were a great bunch of travelling companions!  It was great to catch up with some familiar faces that I had met on previous tours.  Freddy Morgan, the tour manager, was superb and he did all he possibly could to ensure that we got the best out of the holiday.  He is a credit to JY and has worked with the company for 23 years.  His experience and professionalism shone through and at various times he saved the tour from disaster.  He was extremely thoughtful and checked with each of us daily, to ensure we were happy and enjoying ourselves.  One day he bought us all fruit when there was none available at breakfast and I think this sums up well his whole approach to being a tour manager.  He also had a great sense of humour, with was needed at times!!

The weather was generally very good, with it being cooler than expected during the first week.  We had showers the day we were at Tikal, but apart from that it was generally sunny, with the odd overcast day.  It was cool in the mountains at San Cristobel, so bring a jumper and fleece/jacket with you just in case!  The sun was very strong and most of us got a bit burnt at times, so be careful to put on loads of suncream!  The hotels were excellent throughout, apart from Belize, and we stayed in some fabulous colonial style hotels, which were wonderful.  All had US style sockets, but not all the rooms had safes, so make sure you bring a lock for your case.  The ladies asked me to point out that not all the rooms had hairdryers!  The food varied from inedible/poor (mainly in Mexico) to excellent, with most meals being acceptable rather than good.  We did have a number of fantastic meals, with made up for the rest!  Beer was cheap and wine varied from being reasonably priced to exorbitant, so be careful! All the coaches we were on were very comfortable and one of the highlights of the tour for me was travelling on various forms of transport – including a tuk-tuk, pick-up truck, speedboat, horse, canoe and pirate ship!!  Mosquitoes were not a major problem, although most of us got a few bites.  We were advised there was no need to use DEET in the mountains, but that was where I got my first bites so I'd say use it throughout if you want to be on the safe side.  Unfortunately we saw very little wildlife on the tour and felt that the itinerary had perhaps oversold this aspect of the holiday!  A few people had upset stomachs for a day or two, but no one was seriously ill or missed out on anything as a result.  Water was easily available in the hotels or at comfort stops (and on the bus in Guatemala).  It was easy to change currency in the hotels and Freddy arranged a stop at currency exchanges when necessary.  Most places accepted US dollars and gave the change in local currency or dollars, or a mixture of the two!  So now for a bit more detail….

Mexico

On arrival, we travelled to Cancun, which is a bit like a mini-Vegas-by-the-sea.  This was just an overnight stop, albeit in an excellent hotel.  The next day we travelled though flat scenery to Chichen Itza (or Chicken Pizza as we liked to call it), which was great to see but perhaps because it was so familiar to many of us we felt a little underwhelmed by the visit.  I liked the Sacred Cenote and for me it was the highlight.  Then we travelled to Campeche, which is a well preserved colonial town with brightly coloured houses and well worth a visit.  The next day, we travelled to Palenque and stayed in another excellent hotel.  We visited the Mayan site there, in the jungle, and it was superb.  The consensus in the group was that we much preferred it, in a natural setting, to Chichen Itza.  Freddy then had a wonderful surprise for us – a visit to the Agua Azul waterfalls.  This was not officially on the itinerary and we all enjoyed stunning views of the beautiful deep blue waters. 

We then began the long journey to San Cristobel.  We were by now travelling through very isolated mountainous areas of Chiapas province, with more stunning scenery.  All was well, as we made our way through countless twisty turns until we met oncoming traffic that kept on flashing their lights at us – in time we came to realise that the road ahead was blocked by protestors.  Seemingly this happens from time to time, as the local Mayan people protest against their treatment by the government (we later learned that the previous blockade had been two weeks before).  Our driver found a place to turn the coach around and we began to head in the opposite direction, with the intention of trying to find an alternative route.  However a mile or two up the road, we came to a standstill as cars had stopped ahead of us – the road was now blocked in that direction too – we were trapped!!  It was dark by this stage and we were apprehensive as we didn’t know what was happening.  First of all our local guide, Francisco, went to talk to the protestors.  He was gone a long time but eventually returned with no news.  Then Freddy went off to negotiate with them; thankfully he is fluent in Spanish (he lives in Spain) and came back with good news – they were going to let us through!  So after two hours we got through the blockade but the bad news was that we had to head back to Palenque – thankfully the hotel were able to accommodate us.  We arrived there around midnight, exhausted and relieved.  Freddy was our hero!

The next day we had a very long journey to arrive in San Cristobel by another route, to avoid the roadblock – we later discovered that the blockade had lasted a full 48 hours, so we were so relieved that we did not have to endure that without food or water or other facilities – it would have been a horrendous experience.  Freddy managed to re-jig the itinerary, so we were still able to visit the Sumidero Canyon (a very enjoyable boat trip) and one of the indigenous villages, which has a unique church that blends Christian and Mayan beliefs to stunning effect with candles and flowers.  In San Cristobel we stayed in another beautiful colonial hotel and had a great meal.  Unfortunately one of the ladies in the group suffered a nasty fall and had to go to the hospital for stitches, but she was great in the way she handled the experience and was up for breakfast as usual the next day.  We were a hardy bunch of travellers! The next day we headed to the border with Guatemala and our adventures continued….

Guatemala

It took us three hours to get through the border, including a very long and frustrating experience at the Mexican side, with the entry and exit queues both being handled by one uncooperative official!  Eventually we were on our way through stunning mountain scenery as we made our way to Panajachel and the beautiful Lake Atitlan.  I think all the group would agree that we much preferred Guatemala to Mexico – the scenery was so much nicer and the locals more friendly.  We had a lovely boat trip on the Lake, the perfect antidote to a hectic few days activity.  Next we journeyed to Antigua, another well preserved colonial town and we were lucky enough to be there on the first Sunday in Lent, when the tour had a colourful Lenten procession, with the roads decorated with floral designs, a very special experience.  We enjoyed a walking tour of Antigua the next day and visited a coffee farm.  The coffee in Guatemala was superb and they are very proud of it and claim it is the best in the world!  The next day we went to visit the Pacaya volcano on horseback – you can walk up to the viewing point but all our group opted to go by horse as it is very rough underfoot and a long way uphill.  We all walked back down (very carefully) after taking in the views.  After a flight to Flores, we stayed in a great lodge and visited Tikal – we had a very long tour of the sites (too long in most people’s opinion!) and again saw very little wildlife.  After that it was on to Belize…

Belize

Thankfully after an uneventful and brief border crossing we entered into Belize and it has a much more Caribbean flavour to it.  The people are laid back and disorganized but quite charming.  The hotel at San Ignacio was very basic, bordering on shabby and the only poor one we stayed in.  The gardens were beautiful though.   That afternoon we went to the Barton Creek cave and things took another unexpected turn.  Freddy had told us we would have a guide in each canoe, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case – we had one between two or three canoes, which meant that some of the group had to paddle, which we did with mixed success.  The cave itself was a bit disappointing – we didn’t see much “eerie remains of human bones and artefacts” (as the itinerary puts it), rather just seeing part of one skull perched high up on a rock and a bit of pottery.  Half way through we had to turn the canoes around and make our way back, which again proved quite tricky.  Unfortunately one of the canoes overturned and two of the group ended up in the water (thankfully it was only around four feet deep at that point, otherwise it could have been a much more serious episode).  They took it in good spirits but I feel if we had had a guide in each boat it wouldn’t have happened.  Finally we went by coach to Belize City and by high speed boat to San Pedro.  Regular readers of the Community forum will know that a couple of us were concerned about the numerous hotel changes to this part of the itinerary but in the end the Banana Beach hotel was fine – the bathroom in my room could have done with refurbishment but it was acceptable.  The restaurant there, Il Divino, was very good and we also found another excellent restaurant nearby for our second night (called Hidden Treasure – well worth a visit).  Most people get around San Pedro by golf cart but the driving is crazy, so I recommend you get a taxi instead to head up to the town centre. 

San Pedro is a real Caribbean town, and although the beach is very narrow, the town itself has a lot of charm.  Half the group went snorkelling to Hol Chan and they had a wonderful time – one experienced snorkeller said it was second only to the Galapagos in her experience!  Four of us got a taxi to the town for a wander and had a very enjoyable lunch on the beachfront.  The next day everything fell apart as we prepared to leave for our transfer back into Mexico – the local agent had gone AWOL and when she finally turned up, it transpired that instead of booking us to take the ferry to Chetumel, we had been booked to return by ferry to Belize City and go overland to our final destination.  This added around four hours to an already long travelling day, with the result that we did not get to see the beachfront Mayan ruins at Tulum (which I was very disappointed about, as these were the ruins I had most been looking forward to seeing).  Instead we had a mammoth journey to Puerto Morelos and our final hotel.  We arrived there around 8.30pm totally wrecked, only to be faced with a complicated check-in procedure!  This meant that we had no time at all to freshen up if we were to get to the restaurant in time for our farewell dinner.  It was a mad rush, trying to find our rooms in a complex and enormous hotel.  We just about made it in time for dinner, at which we made a presentation to Freddy in gratitude for all that he had done for us.

Puerto Morelos add-on

The next morning, the main tour group packed up and headed to the airport, while the seven of us doing the add-on had an excursion to Cozumel island – I had checked with Monty beforehand to find out what was involved on this excursion (and eventually, after several months, the local agents finally responded with some scant information).   It was billed as a snorkelling trip, but there was much more to it than that.  As I do not snorkel, I was in two minds whether to do the trip, which is why I asked for further information.  Another member of the group was in the same position as myself and in the end we both went – and we were very glad we did.  The seven of us had a wonderful day.  As Freddy was going back with the main tour group, we were met at the hotel by a bus and driver.  We did a couple of hotel pick-ups and then transferred by coach to Playa del Carmen (this was the original venue for the add-on, but it was transferred to Puerto Morelos as accommodation couldn’t be secured there).  We then took a ferry to Cozumel and those of us on the top deck were treated to a fantastic band who sang well known Spanish songs (like “La Bamba”) and got us all in the party spirit!  When we arrived on the island, our guide for the day brought us to the side of the dock where we were met by…a pirate ship!!  A beautiful wooden boat, complete with a pirate crew, who took us out to sea once more for three separate snorkels.   The crew were great fun and posed for photos in the costumes and got us up dancing!  Complementary drinks were served (the margaritas were great!) and those of us who weren’t snorkelling took full advantage!  Afterwards we were brought to a restaurant for a great lunch (finally, some good Mexican food!) and we had free time on the island to relax before heading back to the hotel.  The next day we took it easy, three of us got a taxi to the town centre (very quiet, with lots of craft and souvenir shops) and had a lazy afternoon.  We all met up for drinks and dinner later. We went to a show in the hotel that evening which was entertaining in a “so bad, it’s good” kind of way! Our hotel, the Ocean Coral and Turquesa was superb – intimidating at first as it is so huge, but with a great range of facilities and a brilliant buffet restaurant.  It was my first “all inclusive” experience and I really enjoyed it.  It was a great way to end a memorable holiday and I’m very glad I did the add-on, rather than having a rushed end to the tour.

So all-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed this varied tour and I’m glad I did it.  Given the problems JY had with the local agents in advance of the tour and the complexities involved while we were on it, I’m not sure whether it will be around for long – so if you have had your eye on it but were waiting for a review, I’d say it is an action packed itinerary to an unusual tourist destination – and go now while you can!!  I hope the other forum regulars who were on this tour will add any bits I’ve left out – and of course, I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.  Finally, I’d say this tour is not suitable for anyone with limited mobility and you would need good energy levels to be able to handle it but it was all worth it in the end!!

Best wishes,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your very comprehensive review of this trip - I leave on Wed. am. There have been some recent changes thanks to feedback from your tour, so I hope some of the problems you had have been ironed out - I know JY will be doing all possible in that direction. 

After this one, I am off to Alaska which looks a really interesting tour. I hope to meet up with you again sometime .

Best wishes, and thanks again.

Ray.

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Wow Bob.  What a great review and it all sounds a bit of a roller coaster and the stuff of many a ' what holidays have you been on' conversations.  Glad you enjoyed it overall and as always a good JY tour rep can be a godsend.
Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Bob,

So glad the holiday turned out okay in the end. Thanks for your fabulous review, although there were a few trials along the way, it sounds like you all had a fabulous time.

Kind Regards

Kerry

SarahS
(Member)
Wow, a great review Bob. Glad things turned out reasonably well, and you all survived the perils of being JY pioneers.
mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Great to read your extensive review. This was a difficult one to pitch correctly, but I would fully endorse almost everything that you have said.

I do think however that you've 'glossed over' the events of the blockade somewhat, with no mention of the scam Freddy had to pull in order to convince the protesters to let us through. I feel that we were VERY fortunate indeed to get off so lightly because, as you so rightly say, it would have been a horrendous experience had we been detained for 48 hours in such an isolated area with no food or water etc.

Regarding the Banana Beach hotel in San Pedro, I'll readily hold my hands up and say I was completely wrong about having my doubts about this establishment. Being slightly out of town proved to be an advantage if anything, and even though the hotel could do with a lick of paint, my room was very comfortable with a king size bed plus an additional single, the food in the restaurant was great and the bar extremely cheerful! In fact, I could quite happily have stayed another night on Ambergris Caye just enjoying the laid-back atmosphere.

Regarding currency, I would advise future travellers to bring some pesos for Mexico because USD are not readily accepted everywhere. If travellers need additional pesos towards the end of the Mexican leg of the tour there is an excellent exchange place at San Christobal at the back of a shop in the main square - I was directed there by the hotel Mission Grand bell-boy and its just a short walk from the hotel itself.

Finally a word about Freddy Morgan, simply the best TM I've ever had the pleasure of travelling with. In my opinion he was a total legend, who's vast experience and linguistic skills were absolutely essential. It is my fervent hope that in the years to come he will look at his 'Belizian Stress God' gift, remember us all and smile!

All the best

Mike

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Bob

Thank you for this very comprehensive review. It sounds as if you had a very eventful holiday. I think it has helped me decide that this is not a holiday I want to do.  I am, however, pleased that you enjoyed the experience given the misgivings you had before you went.

Hope you have managed to have a rest since you returned!

Lesley

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Bob,

Another fantastic review, thank you.

Apart from the few problems you experienced it appears that you really enjoyed this trip. It was lucky that you had an experienced tour manager.

I will wait eagerly for your next review. I am off to Borneo in June so I will need all your helpful tips.

Best wishes Julie

DPM
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

Another very informative review, which I'm particularly grateful for as this is a trip I've been looking at quite keenly, possibly to do sometime within the next two years.

It certainly sounds like there were some interesting experiences which one would hope are not to become a regular feature of this trip, I'm sure JY will be looking at this very carefully.  Glad you all seem to have enjoyed the holiday in spite of all the hiccups.  It hasn't put me off going, but I'll be studying the other reviews of this trip in detail, hopefully the more negative aspects can be avoided in future.

Dave

PS - I thought you would have learned your lesson after the experience in India: ask how much the wine is BEFORE you order!!  😃

Taffy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

Been waiting with baited breath to read your review & find out how you all got on. I'm glad despite the mishaps you enjoyed your holiday in the end. It sounds like your tour manager really did save the day for you all. 

Not sure this is one for me right now but you never what will happen next year. 

Taffy

sallyc
(Member)
Spot on as usual Bob, the only thing I would add for the ladies (and gents of course) is that not all of the hotels provide shampoo so take a small bottle along for those that don't.

I would like to reiterate what a good group we had. Everybody was remarkably chilled through our adventure - it showed our faith in the wonderful TM Freddie that we stayed calm and trusted that he would solve all of our problems.

I'm looking forward to a nice chilled Croatian Coastal Explorer next - surely no holiday can be as 'eventful' as this one was..........!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike

I would love to read about the scam Freddy had to pull to let you all through the blockade. I am looking forward to this holiday and sincerely hope we do not have to face any such blockades.

Jaya

AbbaDave
(Member)
Phew Bob what a review, must have taken hours to put together, do you take notes like I do, well done and thank you, very informative, it sounds like the tour got better as it went but you sure had quite an adventure rattling through this one but glad you got the best out of the tour and enjoyed it on the whole

you'll soon be planning now for Borneo and like you and everybody else I cannot wait

all the best

Dave

adg29
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

As a fellow traveller on this adventure your review was very good and i know that you were worried about writing it because of some difficulties we encountered. What made it an enjoyable if tiring trip was the fantastic group who showed the good old British (and Irish) spirit and just got on getting the most out of the trip.

And what can we say about Freddy our TM absolutely brilliant, i can honestly say i have not met anyone who had to deal with a number of issues and still show a sense of humour. When Mike referred to a scam it was one of our group pretending to be very ill and Freddy telling the protesters that we needed to get out and get help. They didn't really want to hold us as it was a local dispute so agreed we could go. What Bob didn't mention was 4 hours drive back to the hotel we left in the morning and another road block but this time a bribe worked.

What with another bribe to get the border guard to actually do some work so it only took 3 hours to get through as opposed to goodness knows what.

Mexico is a strange country but Guatemala was great, scenery stunning and the people seemed happier and smiled.

Still glad i experienced this trip as i met some lovely fellow travellers and of course we had Freddy.

Alan

katy1717
(Member)
Great review Bob. We certainly were fortunate in having an excellent, Spanish speaking, tour manager. And being part of a group that was so chilled and had such a sense of humour - was just thinking about the red and green channels at the border into Belize (sorry Mike) among many other things.

I agree with Sally about shampoo (and conditioner).

My further thoughts:

I thought Palenque was stunning.

I am really fed up to have missed the Mayan beach ruins (due to Belizean ineptitude).

In hindsight think the horse ride to the top of the volcano and walk down not great (no views) and such a pain to get all the dust off afterwards.

I enjoyed the canoe ride, but as I was one of the initial group of 8 in the caves, we got a competent/informative guide (tho' looking back, now think we should have had more guides allocated).

The pirate ship was great, and as the other non-snorkeler, really appreciated the continuous supply of margaritas.

The hotel we had in San Ignancio - Windy Hill Resort - was awful. My room stank (as did some others). But I know this is not the usual hotel.

Loved the 5* all inclusive hotel used for the add-on - great to be able to just go and get cocktails whenever you wanted, Mango Margarita my favourite, and the food was good too. My first all-inclusive too, think we benefited from a 5* resort hotel.

Would recommend to everyone thinking of this holiday to do the add-on if you can, it really was worth it.

Overall, really enjoyed the holiday, with a great group of people.

Katy

(Next trip booked, Burma for end Oct, pleased to see reviews of this tour now coming in - looks great. Looking to fit in a short trip in the next few months, but doubt it will be as memorable as Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.)

Angie S
(Member)
An adventure and a half and then some Bob and Mike.

Angie

BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone many thanks for your replies - as I said at the beginning of the review, it really was a great tour and we all enjoyed it very much despite our misadventures along the way!  Dave - yes I have learnt my lesson and ordered beer that night instead!!  I had a long conversation this morning with Yvonne from Customer Care and she was great, listening attentively to the points I made and being very honest in response.  As you can imagine with Just You, who take customer satisfaction so seriously, they have already taken action to ensure that our mishaps are not repeated on the next departure, which leaves tomorrow.  As I said to her, it is my opinion that any difficulties on this tour were caused by the local agents who should have known better, from taking an alternative route to San Cristobal, to ensuring there were guides in every canoe, and booking us on the right ferry in Belize!  Still as the old saying puts it, all's well that ends well!  I am now looking forward to my next JY tour to Borneo and Singapore in May, can't wait!!

All the best,

Bob 

PS Apologies for a couple of typos in my review - I wrote it at 10am on Friday morning after only getting home at 7.30pm the evening before, so was jet lagged and sleep deprived!  Such is my dedication to the forum...!

Nelson
(Member)
A great review .

I got back last week from Mexico with another company.

We too had trouble with blockades in Chiapas province. We missed Agua azul waterfall as our guide had warning of road blocks and we took a diversion. You were lucky they let you through .

I found Chitchen itza the least interesting of the Mayan sites , but what a fascinating part of the world !