Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone,

Was great to meet you all, thought we had a good crowd and was nice to put a few faces to forum names.

Hope everyone got home ok, suspect a few may have hit traffic problems with the M1 closed, i managed to hear about it on the radio so diverted my route. Had a good run and was in sunny North Yorkshire by 3-30pm including a meal stop, not bad considering we only landed at 10-30am.

Thought Stephen our tour manager was excellent, very profesional in a friendly sort of way. :thumbup:

Have started writing my travel blog about this trip, doing it in 4 parts (seems logical), first part done and can be accesed here for those interested :-

http://micks-travels.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/americas-heart-soul-part-1-chicago.html 

Maybe meet some of you again on future trips and if anyone is up in this part of the world give me a shout and i'll let you buy me a beer. ;)

Keep travelling

Mick

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mick,

I've just read part one and looking forward to reading the rest as it appears! Hope you had a great tour,

Best wishes,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mick

Welcome back I have just caught up with parts 1 & 2 of your blog. Very interesting some of your comments, Love the one about your tip being with the towels! shouldnt laugh but couldnt help it.. I do hope you feeling better now as I know you love a NIGHT OUT so was worried about the ankle, problems from home talk, hope its all SORTED now.

Cindy

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Mick

Welcome back I have just caught up with parts 1 & 2 of your blog. Very interesting some of your comments, Love the one about your tip being with the towels! shouldnt laugh but couldnt help it.. I do hope you feeling better now as I know you love a NIGHT OUT so was worried about the ankle, problems from home talk, hope its all SORTED now.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy, Is totally cleared up now, improved significantly in Memphis and almost 100% in New Orleans.

Bosuncat
(Member)
Good to see you back Mick!

Sorry to read about the ankle but love the bit about the towels. :)

And I prefer Dunking' Donuts too.

I guess that October must be convention season In Chicago cos when we did our side trip from Michigan a few years back we could not get a hotel room in the city for love or money.

I would have been SO annoyed to have found the Lincoln House closed. I want to go to Springfield because I am such a Lincoln addict.

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
DAWNK
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

Part 3 Memphis added to my blog :-

http://micks-travels.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/americas-heart-soul-part-3-memphis.html 

Hi Mick!

Been reading your blog, its really good. I can't believe we did so much. It was a really good holiday, one of the best I've done with J U. The only complaint I've got was the hotel in New Orleans. It was so far out. When I went with Newmarket last year, we stayed in the French quarter which was so handy. Would have been nice to spend more time at night in Bourbon Street. Being a singles holiday, I don't think it was right for us to be so far out, having to get taxis in and out. That was a disappointment.

I eventually got home just after 6 pm as I had to wait at Heathrow as my flight back to Manchester was only 3.20 pm. Then the journey back home took one and a half hours, instead of 40 minutes due to the M6 being closed. It was a very long journey home. Probably could have walked home quicker.

It was good to meet you, and that you got people together on the first night as you knew where to go. I'm still looking at the Texas holiday for next September.

Here's to 2015 for another year of adventure!

Dawn K

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
loved part 3 brought back so many memories of my time there, sun studios Graceland, beale street. Etc.
Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'DAWNK' wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Part 3 Memphis added to my blog :-

http://micks-travels.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/americas-heart-soul-part-3-memphis.html 

Hi Mick!

Been reading your blog, its really good. I can't believe we did so much. It was a really good holiday, one of the best I've done with J U. The only complaint I've got was the hotel in New Orleans. It was so far out. When I went with Newmarket last year, we stayed in the French quarter which was so handy. Would have been nice to spend more time at night in Bourbon Street. Being a singles holiday, I don't think it was right for us to be so far out, having to get taxis in and out. That was a disappointment.

I eventually got home just after 6 pm as I had to wait at Heathrow as my flight back to Manchester was only 3.20 pm. Then the journey back home took one and a half hours, instead of 40 minutes due to the M6 being closed. It was a very long journey home. Probably could have walked home quicker.

It was good to meet you, and that you got people together on the first night as you knew where to go. I'm still looking at the Texas holiday for next September.

Here's to 2015 for another year of adventure!

Dawn K

Hi Dawn,

Yes was good to meet you and reckon been on a holiday like this will have given you a birthday to remember.

Thought it a nice crowd of people always felt confortable talking to anyone which is important when shy like me :angel:

Did panic a bit in Chicago when the first pub i'd planned was packed to the rafters but think plan B worked well.

I like the look of the texas holiday (plus a few others) but if i do it not sure it would be September. Going to look more deeply into next years plans in the New Year.

Take care

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

And finally part 4 of my blog added :-

http://micks-travels.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/americas-heart-soul-part-4-new-orleans.html 

thanks for that Mick, really enjoyed reading this blog

Cindy

TonyW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mick

Great blogs brought back many good memories even though only a week ago. As you say a good group. Stephen tm was excellent and Ted our driver was great. Had a brilliant time during day and out on a night with you, June, Steve and Stewart thanks. Would be good to meet anyone on trip on a future trip.

Tony :thumbup:

Keep travelling this is real life not a rehearsal

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mick,

Managed to read all 4 blogs tonight. So many great memories and loved the photos. Well done, hope to meet you again one day :)

Jan

Bosuncat
(Member)
Great photos as always Mick!
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

Now got all my photos on Flickr for those interested :-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8308363@N02/sets/72157647141325543/ 

Mick

WOW thanks for sharing, seeing the photos of Memphis Graceland and sun studios etc, brought back some memory's for me.. Great photos!

Cindy

Sue2
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

Hi Mick, Really good photos. Nice to see some of the places I didn't get to like the Mardi Gras museum. Read your blog too. Very good. Nice to have met you.

Sue.

Kezzer46
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

Mick,

Loved the photos... makes me want to go on another US holiday. If only the budget would stretch as far as I want to go :)

Thanks for sharing

Kerry

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Mick,

Loved the photos... makes me want to go on another US holiday. If only the budget would stretch as far as I want to go :)

Thanks for sharing

Kerry

Kerry,

Know what you mean it can stretch the budget a bit but i find myself putting more to one side for holidays each year. Can't replace happy memories.:thumbup:

Had some great trips in Europe with JY also,try to do a mix but next year is still at the planning stage, got a few ideas though, some JY and others totally solo or with friends.

Do you have any plans ?

Mick