magpie10
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've just returned from this holiday and thought I would give a detailed review of how the holiday went.

Day 1 - Lisbon.

Was joined by local guide, Fatima, who had very detailed knowedge of Portugal. Went round church near the Monument to the Discoverers for half an hour, then got back on coach to Belem Tower, was given about 20 minutes there to look around and take photos before being driven to the Momument to the Discoveres for a photo opportunity for 10 minutes. Back on the coach we were driven to a vantage point overlooking Lisbon so we took some nice photos there. Then we were driven back into the centre of Lisbon and told the coach would be picking us up again in 2 hours. 2 HOURS!!! I know to fully explore Lisbon would normally take days, but to only have 2 hours and with no guide as to where to go didn't seem good value for money to me. I would have thought a guided tour of Lisbon (as indicated in the brochure) followed by 2-3 free time would have been better. When asking the tour rep (Richard) who was useless and seemed to just be on holiday himself - he said it was down to how long the coach was hired for - simple answer - hire the coach for longer!!! We were only out 9-4 most days, whereas in Italy recently we were out 8-6.30.

Day 2 - Sintra, Cabo de Roca, Cascais (optional tour).

Drove to Sintra and it is a very beautiful place. The strenous walking referred to in the pre-tour documents referred to walking up and down 100 steps and they were spaced out so not all together, so it wasn't that strenous if anyone is worried about that. Our guide Fatima took us around the National Palace which was worth seeing. Spent 1/2 an hour in Sintra afterwards before moving to Cabo da Roca for a viewing opportunity, then on to Cascais for a few hours stop in the pretty harbour town. Had a lovely lunch in one of the fish restaurants.

Day 3 - Obidos, Alcobaca, Nazare (optional tour).

Wandered the cobbled streets of Obidos. There's plenty of little shops lining the streets, and a fort. Visited the church at Alcobaca. Again got dropped off in Nazare and told whent to meet the coach, received no further instructions so just ended up having lunch and wandering around for a couple of hours until it was time to get back on the coach.

Day 4 - Sesimbra, Azeitao, Arrabida (optional tour).

This turned into an absolute shambles of a day! First the coach drove us to Setubal (which wasn't even mentioned in the itinerary!). Got dumped in a non-descript place for 3 HOURS! (bearing in mind we only got 2 HOURS in Lisbon!). Had no idea where we were going, one of the lady's I was with asked local people where the Tourist Information was, we got a map from there and wandered round trying to find something to look at. Drove through the National Park, which is just like driving through countryside, there's no animals to be seen, got a few nice photos when we stopped at the top to look along the coast line. Went to Azeitao and had very good guide taking us round winery, and sampled wine afterwards. Then to top it all off, drove to moorish castle overlooking Sesimbra - not to Sesimbra itself, as stated in the brochure!!! When we complained to the tour guide - he basically accused us of misinterpreting the tour documents!!! Not to mention this was described as a minimal walking tour and it was more strenous than Sintra by the time we'd climed up onto the walls surrounding the village and viewed the fort! All in all a complete waste of time and money.

2 Free days followed this and my little group took ourselves to Mafra and the little model village in the next village and had a brilliant day - why Just You don't have this as an included tour I don't know - probaby cost cutting as usual.

The hotel was nicely situated but the food was awful, hence most people chose to eat out at night.

Considering how much money I spent on this tour, and it wasn't cheap, I feel badly let down and I'm not sure I'll be doing any more Just You tours. The rep was useless and nobody gave him a tip (that's how bad he was!). Some people were on their first tours and said they won't use them again, so it's not a very good advert for Just You. All in all I wish I'd just booked a week in a hotel in Lisbon myself and done everything myself rather than pay a fortune for this. Hopefully Just You will compensate me and the others who are also writing in to complain.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Magpie10

I’m really sorry that you felt let down by your Just You holiday. We want all our travellers to have a wonderful holiday experience, so we are extremely concerned if this is not the case.

We do take all feedback, both positive and negative, on board when planning our holidays and I forwarded your comments to my colleague in our customer services team who I understand has since spoken with you directly and will continue to investigate the issues you raised.

Kindest regards,

Julia

magpie10
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

Yes, I had a telephone call from someone in the Customer Services department and the issues are being resolved.

It was agreed I would receive a voucher for money off my next holiday, but this has not yet arrived, but I presume it is still in the post?

Could I ask whether I can use this voucher towards a Travelsphere holiday or is it only for Just You?

Thanks for your help.

Caroline

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caroline,

I have just contacted the team member who you spoke to before, he mentioned that this was sent out to you last month, but as it has not yet been received he will cancel it and issue you with a new voucher.

I can confirm that you can use this voucher towards a holiday with any of our brands.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Caroline,

Think I've been lucky in the 11 holidays (10 JY + 1 travelsphere) in the fact I've had some excellent tour managers but yours sounds like he is in the wrong job. Personally I think a nice friendly tour manager can make a holiday while a bad one can spoil it as in your case.

Mick

magpie10
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Julia, the second voucher has arrived.

Mick, I agree, I've been on 5 tours and been lucky on 4 of them - but I think it's always worth being honest about a tour/manager - as I wouldn't want others to go through the same experience, especially if they're new to JY.

Caroline

daveJB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caroline

Oh dear, what have I done? I booked this holiday yesterday and have just read your review. I hope all

the problems you encountered will be sorted out before I go in May, I am usually on a high after I book

but now I don't know what to think, I will be dreading it until I get there.

I am so sorry you had such a disapointing experience, personaly all of my holidays with JY have excellent.

I will say to you don't give up on JY as I'm sure if you choose another holiday you will have great time.

Dave.

Mr C
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caroline,

Oh dear, likewise I have recently booked this holiday.

This is my first JY trip, I do wish I'd read this before and not after!

Hopefully JY will do more than just take note of your comments but will make changes.

Indeed one would expect a city tour to be a tour not just dropped off and left, otherwise one may as well use local transport, and that would be substantially less.

Having to eat out, what a disgrace as you say this is not cheap.

I was already wishing I hadn't booked as this will be my first holiday since becoming a widower.

However Dave, nothing to be done now but hope for the best and report back here.

magpie10
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Dave/Mr C,

I wouldn't let my experience of the holiday spoil it for you, I'm sure you'll both have a lovely time. Just You have mentioned they've made changes to the holiday so any little niggles should have been sorted out. I think our main problem was the tour rep, Portugal itself is a lovely country and there are plenty of things to see and do.

Please put a review on when you've had your holiday, as mine seems to be the only one on here and I'm sure the groups who went after me, and the groups going this year, will all have a really enjoyable time.

Hope you both have a fab time.

Regards

Caroline

Mr C
  • (Member)
(Member)
Caroline,

Thanks for the reassurance.

I suspect I over reacted, this being my first.

Most reviews here are positive.

Thanks

Cal

Mr C
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well just returned and there was no need to worry whatsoever.

We were a small group of just 15 and what a great group we were.

Do as much or as little as you wanted, very easy going.

Hotel was excellent, clean room, good food, (lots of olives ;-)).

I only did two trips, but they were enjoyable with a good JY agent.

Town is not super lively but suited me, enough for a stroll and custard tart.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Mr wrote:

MR C

15 is a nice number glad you had a good time, thanks for leaving a review

Cindy

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Mr wrote:

Really pleased to read this. Hotel looks good and what an excellent location. It's one I have an eye on for the autumn. Never been to Portugal and it having a Heathrow departure is a huge bonus. That is if I can ever tear myself away from thoughts of Calabria.

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bosuncat,

I know what you mean, Calabria looks fantastic and the reviews are very promising!

Mark

magpie10
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Mr C,

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your recent trip.

Regards

Caroline

daveJB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi everyone

I was also on this holiday with Mr C and had a great time with lovely people, I went on all the trips

which were very good, can't fault the hotel, good food,staff and free use of computer if

you needed it, with a very nice seaside town.

Tour guide Filomena was excellent and good fun was had by all.

Very glad I went.

Dave.