Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
If you have been on other touring holidays in the United States this tour may be a bit disappointing. However, there are many pluses.

Firstly the hotels used were all of a very high standard, especially the Holiday Inn in San Antonio which recently had a refurbishment. The flights by American Airlines were good with comfortable seats in economy. The Boeing 777-300 for the return journey had all the latest entertainment features. Dallas Fort Worth airport was a nightmare. When we landed it took just over 3 hours to go through the US Customs Hall! This is not unusual, however, for the afternoon. So our ‘get together meal’ was late.

The countryside of Texas is uninteresting, flat and not many trees. Without the Sixth Floor Museum (which is excellent), Dallas has very little to offer the tourist. Fort Worth, however, is a tourist city with many souvenir shops etc at the Stockyards. The Rodeo in the evening is a must.

Austin was a disappointment and could easily be left off the tour. In San Antonio, The Alamo building is in the centre of the city so you will see it many times. The hotel is in a very central position and is on the Riverwalk where there are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from, plus the shopping mall. The coach ride out to the Silver Spur ranch saw the best part of the Texas countryside. Everyone who did the horse riding enjoyed it very much. During the spare day our little group did the boat ride on Riverwalk and a visit to the top of ‘Tower of the Americas’ for a great view of San Antonio.

Day 7 and on to NASA space centre near Houston. The tour to the Rocket Park featured the Saturn V rocket (and it is big!!!) used in the Apollo flights. Once the school parties had left the centre there was time to visit the various exhibitions in peace! The eating area was closed by 3pm!

Next day, a long drive to New Orleans with adequate stops. Louisiana is also flat but at least crops were being grown with rice fields and sugar cane. Stop off at Baton Rouge the State capital. Guided walk around the French Quarter in the evening, which really does have an amazing atmosphere at night. The music here was much better than Austin! The coach tour of New Orleans in the morning was very good as was the paddle steamer river trip and meal in the evening.

To conclude this tour got better in time with New Orleans the highlight. Just You could easily ignore Austin as an overnight stay and add another day in New Orleans where there is so much to see.

The weather we had was hot and sunny. In the early part it was the mid 90’s but ‘cooled ‘to the mid 80’s in New Orleans.

On the tour there were 21 passengers from all over the UK, who all had a great time. Our tour manager, David Cunliffe was very good

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi thanks for your review, I love the States and although I've looked at this holiday before it didn't jump off the page at me. I think it's a pity that when in Dallas the tour doesn't include Southfork - a bit of an oversight I think, especially with the new series proving quite popular. I'd love to see the ranch and I know they do tours. [/i]Perhaps the itinerary could be revamped as you suggest - I seem to remember a few years ago it also included a trip to the Louisiana swamps, which for me would make it much more interesting.

Hope you enjoyed it overall!

All the best,

Bob

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the revue but one question.

What did you ind dissapointing about Austin ?

Reason I ask as a music fan its supposed to be the "Live Music Capital of the world" and East 6th street is legendary for its small music venues. Think there are more live music venues in a square mile than anyewhere else.

Did you stay in the City centre ?

Did you visit any music bars in the evening (as thats what Austin is about) ?

Mick

Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mick,

Besides the visit to the Texas Capitol State Building the local tour guide took us down Congress Ave as that had the oldest city buildings. We were aware that 6th St had many music bars. The Radisson hotel was next to the river and chose to go south of the river where there were also music bars and restaurants. Unfortunately the one our little group went into, although the food was good, alas had no music. Others were luckier. Perhaps being a Sunday evening, Downtown Austin was quiet.

For music, we experienced more in New Orleans and were of the opinion that an extra day for New Orleans was needed at the expense of Austin.

Malcolm

LAS43
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mick,

I was on this tour with Malcolm (hello Malcom!) and totally agree with everything he has said about this trip.

The truth is that it's Austion itself that has declared itself the Live Music Capital of the World. I don't think it's won any awards or anything to achieve that status. To be fair to Austin we only saw 6th Street in the day. In the evening we went to another part of Austin which ahd been recommended by the local tour guide as having great restaurants and music. It actually had average restarants and absolutely no music.

I thoroughly enjoyed this trip though and would recommend it apart from Austin

Guitarlady
(Member)
These posts are interesting, as I have just today booked this tour for late Sept. I am a musician and will go to the 6th street with the music bars in Austin, It all sounds great. Anybody going on 27th Sept ?
Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Guitarlady.

As LAS43 said, we were advised to go south of the Colorado river (which is next to the hotel) where the restaurants were average and little or no music. Having said that we did have a very funny evening. 6th St is north of the Radisson Hotel and about a 15 minute walk.

But if you really like music, New Orleans will not disappoint especially around Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. All the bars have either live or dj music and on nearly every street corner are musicians playing all different types. The atmosphere was electric (if that’s the correct terminology) and our little group of five had a great time. Plenty of music around Jackson Square.

Then there is the jazz band on the paddlesteamer Natchez on the last evening.

Have a great time.

Guitarlady
(Member)
'Sussex wrote:

Hi Guitarlady.

As LAS43 said, we were advised to go south of the Colorado river (which is next to the hotel) where the restaurants were average and little or no music. Having said that we did have a very funny evening. 6th St is north of the Radisson Hotel and about a 15 minute walk.

But if you really like music, New Orleans will not disappoint especially around Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. All the bars have either live or dj music and on nearly every street corner are musicians playing all different types. The atmosphere was electric (if that’s the correct terminology) and our little group of five had a great time. Plenty of music around Jackson Square.

Then there is the jazz band on the paddlesteamer Natchez on the last evening.

Have a great time.

Thank you Sussex Downs, very helpful, I live in the Sussex Downs where are you ?

Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello again Guitarlady,

I live in Worthing and looking at the South Downs while typing this message from my lounge window. To be honest the countryside here in Sussex is much better than what we saw in Texas! Hope the temperature is cooler than what it was back in May (95F in Dallas and San Antonio) but then I felt it was hotter here over the last few days. If you go on to the US Weather Channel www.weather.com you will get some idea what weather you will get.

With the 50th anniversary of JFK’s assassination in November, the sixth floor no doubt will be busy.

The Hard Rock Café, W. Crockett St, just off River Walk in San Antonio is worth a visit. The group playing will endeavour to play all your requests. As I have already said, you will love New Orleans. If only the last day was longer ie getting a later flight, which is possible (I have suggested this to Just You) you could arrange a swamp tour, which look good on the internet. The French Market is interesting.

Hope your fellow travellers are as good as the little group I was in.

Regards

Malcolm

PS I do hope you find Austin better than what our little group of 5 experienced!!!

CLK
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi thanks for your review, I love the States and although I've looked at this holiday before it didn't jump off the page at me. I think it's a pity that when in Dallas the tour doesn't include Southfork - a bit of an oversight I think, especially with the new series proving quite popular. I'd love to see the ranch and I know they do tours. [/i]Perhaps the itinerary could be revamped as you suggest - I seem to remember a few years ago it also included a trip to the Louisiana swamps, which for me would make it much more interesting.

Hope you enjoyed it overall!

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob

I've also looked at this tour - but like you I wish they had included a visit to Southfork - I did wonder about going out to Southfork myself

after the morning tour of Dallas and then make my own way back to Fort Worth ?? Chris

Guitarlady
(Member)
Hi Sussex downs,

Sorry its been a time to answer your message, funny that you are in Worthing I am in falmer Brighton.

Yes I get the picture about the countryside in Texas , I have noted your advice thank you. I am off this Friday 27th sept. looking forward to it.

Best wishes

Guitarlady.

'Sussex wrote:

Hello again Guitarlady,

I live in Worthing and looking at the South Downs while typing this message from my lounge window. To be honest the countryside here in Sussex is much better than what we saw in Texas! Hope the temperature is cooler than what it was back in May (95F in Dallas and San Antonio) but then I felt it was hotter here over the last few days. If you go on to the US Weather Channel www.weather.com you will get some idea what weather you will get.

With the 50th anniversary of JFK’s assassination in November, the sixth floor no doubt will be busy.

The Hard Rock Café, W. Crockett St, just off River Walk in San Antonio is worth a visit. The group playing will endeavour to play all your requests. As I have already said, you will love New Orleans. If only the last day was longer ie getting a later flight, which is possible (I have suggested this to Just You) you could arrange a swamp tour, which look good on the internet. The French Market is interesting.

Regards

Malcolm

PS I do hope you find Austin better than what our little group of 5 experienced!!!

Guitarlady
(Member)
'Sussex wrote:

Hello again Guitarlady,

Regards

Malcolm

Hello again Sussex downs, I have written a review about the holiday you might want to look at ?

Best wishes guitarlady