sfm
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Can you tell me whether it is acceptable to wear shorts when visting the various temples and historic sites in Egypt on this tour.
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

It's always good to be sensitive to local customs and I would recommend dressing fairly modestly. Egypt is an islamic country and attitudes to clothing tend to be fairly conservative.

Men should wear long shorts or lightweight trousers and short-sleeved shirts or t-shirts.

Women should avoid displaying too much flesh as this can attract unwanted attention. Lightweight, loose-fitting clothes are the best solution.

Women only really need to cover their hair if visiting mosques. This isn't usually necessary at the ancient Egyptian sites, though it also helps to keep the sun off your head anyway.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

linjay
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I've been considering booking this holiday in September but am a little put off at the thought of having to cover up in all that heat. (I'm a female who would normally wear knee length shorts and a sleevless shirt.) Does the same sort of dress code apply on the boat? As there is a swimming pool, I assumed swimwear and shorts would be acceptable for females but would this be deemed as attracting unwanted attention?

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

You will be fine wearing your long shorts and sleeveless tops on the boat and, as you say, swimwear for the pool area.

It is of course up to you what you wear off the boat, but many visitors to Egypt find that covering up a little more than they would at home usually makes for a more relaxing experience!

I hope the more conservative attitude to dress doesn't put you off, as Egypt is a remarkable country with some of the world's greatest sights. It would be a shame not to see them.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

linjay
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the advice. I suppose it is a small price to pay for seeing such magnificent sites. I shall invest in a few ankle length skirts and hope for the more relaxing experience!!
JoanLS
  • (Member)
(Member)
I am going on this holiday in March and I received my final documentation today. Why must we bring American Dollars? Can the optional tours not be paid in sterling or Egyptian pounds? I have already got the local currency and am loathe to take two types of foreign currency with me.

JoanLS

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Joan

We always use US dollars for our excursions in Egypt because the Egyptian pound is more volatile, which can mean fluctuations in price. The US dollar is more stable.

Have a great trip!

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

linjay
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I've now booked this trip for October and would love to hear any hints or tips when you return. Hope you have a great time.